Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 150 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,892 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
darren9
September 29, 2021, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from tashee69
Think their players celebrated in front of the town fans after it appeared that McAtee celebrated in front of theirs.

Their fans are saying on Twitter that McAtee cupped his ears at some sort of youth team when he scored his goal.

Now, I was initially thinking that it was a massive over-reaction but then I remembered how angry some of our fans got when Hurst cupped his ear so it must be a fairly upsetting thing to happen to you.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
Bigdog
September 29, 2021, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
In those conditions second half, a loss can be taken on the chin, but losing Efete for three games and maybe Sousa for a few too, last night ended up being a bit of a disaster.

Thought we played really well first half, defence composed, full backs solid and getting forward, midfield winning most second balls and moving the ball around well, and the front three looking a handful every time they got the ball. Sousa and Bapaga in particular could beat their full back for fun. Hurst had set the team up well for the game, the pitch and the opposition. We had one hooked off the line, several half chances and the lightweight but excellent Bapaga should have put us two up after McAtee scored. I don't think 2-0 would have flattered us too much at half time.

You could tell at half time the Bromley team had been instructed to be far more physical and they were. Again second half, first ten minutes we were in control, much more than at Maidenhead, then came the biblical wind and rain and the horrific challenge on Sousa. VAR and in the Premier League, or just having a decent ref, Bromley would have been down to ten men. Thought Hurst might have brought Revan on in a like for like substitution, to keep the balance of the team the same, but opted for Taylor and moved McAtee wide on the right. Maybe more to do with the conditions, but we never looked the same again. After that, everything went for Bromley, not fair to pick the bones out of it. What I would say though is the tackle on Efete was as equally horrendous as the one on Sousa. No excuse for him sticking the nut in, but the weak as urine ref didn't even give a free kick.

Some really good performances out there for the first hour, but as the season goes on, we're going to get more teams trying to kick us off the pitch, and hopefully last night was a rapid learning experience.

My admiration for the Town fans in the open terrace knows no bounds. Absolutely incredible, every single one of you. Hope you all had a safe journey back in very tricky conditions..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
Son of Cod
September 29, 2021, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Bigdog
In those conditions second half, a loss can be taken on the chin, but losing Efete for three games and maybe Sousa for a few too, last night ended up being a bit of a disaster.

Thought we played really well first half, defence composed, full backs solid and getting forward, midfield winning most second balls and moving the ball around well, and the front three looking a handful every time they got the ball. Sousa and Bapaga in particular could beat their full back for fun. Hurst had set the team up well for the game, the pitch and the opposition. We had one hooked off the line, several half chances and the lightweight but excellent Bapaga should have put us two up after McAtee scored. I don't think 2-0 would have flattered us too much at half time.

You could tell at half time the Bromley team had been instructed to be far more physical and they were. Again second half, first ten minutes we were in control, much more than at Maidenhead, then came the biblical wind and rain and the horrific challenge on Sousa. VAR and in the Premier League, or just having a decent ref, Bromley would have been down to ten men. Thought Hurst might have brought Revan on in a like for like substitution, to keep the balance of the team the same, but opted for Taylor and moved McAtee wide on the right. Maybe more to do with the conditions, but we never looked the same again. After that, everything went for Bromley, not fair to pick the bones out of it. What I would say though is the tackle on Efete was as equally horrendous as the one on Sousa. No excuse for him sticking the nut in, but the weak as urine ref didn't even give a free kick.

Some really good performances out there for the first hour, but as the season goes on, we're going to get more teams trying to kick us off the pitch, and hopefully last night was a rapid learning experience.

My admiration for the Town fans in the open terrace knows no bounds. Absolutely incredible, every single one of you. Hope you all had a safe journey back in very tricky conditions..

Yeah, in hindsight bringing Revan on then might well have been the better move but I suspect that was motivated by both the conditions and whether or not the type of match that was unfolding was fit for an 18 year old on loan from a Premier League club who has barely kicked a ball in men's football. To be honest, I don't think Hurst could have done a lot there. We were screwed whoever he was gonna throw on, it was just one of those nights in the end. A shame because, as you say, we were comfortably on top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 29, 2021, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,989
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from Hagrid

yeah well the bloke last night couldnt even say McKeown's name could he!  

They couldn't decide between them how to pronounce McAtee and kept thanking another journalist for his notes - all a bit amateurish.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
jamesgtfc
September 29, 2021, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187

They couldn't decide between them how to pronounce McAtee and kept thanking another journalist for his notes - all a bit amateurish.

Gritton credited James Findlater for being bang on with everything he said about how we would play. That's not amateur. Part of research in his role will be talking to others who see us more often.

It sums Gritton up as a person that he is happy to credit others for helping him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2021, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Bigdog

Pretty much the way I saw it, I noticed Woodman was laughing and joking with the red as they came back out and walked across the pitch, clearly that worked as the tackle in Soussa and the one Effete made should have been punished in the same way.

Thought they went down easy and the ref generally fell for it. As weak as the ref was the lad running the line in front of us was f*****g useless.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Garth
September 29, 2021, 11:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
I thought Hurst was seething beneath his self control, one injured, one sent off and the subs ineffective, bad night at the office, we go again Saturday, got to be ruthless in this league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
Son of Cod
September 29, 2021, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought they went down easy and the ref generally fell for it. As weak as the ref was the lad running the line in front of us was f*****g useless.

Yep. He was on a windup surely? Nobody can be that bad at their job, can they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
Poojah
September 29, 2021, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Pretty much the way I saw it, I noticed Woodman was laughing and joking with the red as they came back out and walked across the pitch, clearly that worked as the tackle in Soussa and the one Effete made should have been punished in the same way.

Hadn’t realised Andy Woodman was their manager. Probably best remembered by Town fans as the goalkeeper in this photo:

[img]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/siteassets/general-images/historic/donovan_goal.jpg/Large[/img]
Sat him down nicely there, did Kev.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
marinerjase
September 29, 2021, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
We’ve lost one in eight, sit 3rd in the National League, best start to a season for decades, crowds are up, we have a decent squad with potential to grow and add too.

I don’t understand the panic/reaction by a few - at all, to be perfectly honest.

Wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t attend games, had a club led by an egotistical prat, a manager who obviously came here for a backhander who left soon as the excrement was about to hit the fan (thank god..as he was as deluded as the aforementioned egotistical prat), had a team and club that was going nowhere but backwards.

Sometimes it’s worth taking a step back, reflecting, and then wonder why/what you’re worrying for.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.