4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
September 27, 2021, 12:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I don't think either of the centrehalves covered themselves in glory for their goal but Waterfall could have a starring role in La La Land 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-G4FPbOwWw&ab_channel=GrimsbyTownF.C.
Private Message
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2021, 12:40am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Switched off didn’t they. Problem when you’ve got too many men in the job. Everyone thinks it’s someone else’s role.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
ginnywings
September 27, 2021, 2:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Switched off didn’t they. Problem when you’ve got too many men in the job. Everyone thinks it’s someone else’s role.

Yep! Too many cooks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Belfast Town
September 27, 2021, 6:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Fantastic support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
buckstown
September 27, 2021, 11:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I thought their player had got in front of one our centre halves, but looking at that there isn't any marking at all.
Lovely finish for our goal
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
fishcake63
September 27, 2021, 11:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
Good cross good header no blame there was rite behind it , good point we wasn't great , must be better at bromley or will be in trouble
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
ginnywings
September 27, 2021, 12:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from fishcake63
Good cross good header no blame there was rite behind it , good point we wasn't great , must be better at bromley or will be in trouble

Good movement too. Caught the defence flat footed.

We will concede goals at various times. The thing is to try and score more than one to negate these set backs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
MarinerDevil
September 27, 2021, 12:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
Looks to me like Pearson stepped up to play him offside, but Efete mis-read it and played him on.  Waterfall gets caught by surprise and Towler, to be fair, had been marking a different player.  I think there a couple of factors in play there, but the worst thing is conceding from a deep cross like that.  McAtee made a very tired, half-ar$ed attempt to pressure the crosser; is that where we needed the extra midfielder/winger that we sacrificed for another centre-half?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2021, 12:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,263
Gold Stars: 295
I've said elsewhere that we are vulnerable to crosses, our marking isn't tight enough. We are also particularly vulnerable at the back post, mostly on Efete's side. I think he's very good in an attacking sense and an ok defender generally but does seem to allow people to get away from him at the far post. But yes, he cleared one off the line on Saturday (I think it was him).

The marking was very poor for the Maidenhead goal, the scorer just ghosts through the defence and there's no challenge. It looks worse on the highlights than it did in the ground and it looked pretty awful in the ground. It's doubly frustrating because they were a really well organised side but didn't really threaten us too much but then popped up with that!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
TuckerJenkins
September 27, 2021, 12:43pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
We say ours is a good goal and theirs is bad marking.
They say theirs is a good goal and ours is bad marking.

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
goldenfish
September 27, 2021, 12:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Should we only concede perfect goals ? or none at all ? the best teams in the world concede goals that ‘ Could have been stopped ‘ …jeez , what do people expect ? the lads are doing well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Mayaman
September 27, 2021, 1:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from TuckerJenkins
We say ours is a good goal and theirs is bad marking.
They say theirs is a good goal and ours is bad marking.

I say potato...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
toontown
September 27, 2021, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,271
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Looks to me like Pearson stepped up to play him offside, but Efete mis-read it and played him on.  Waterfall gets caught by surprise and Towler, to be fair, had been marking a different player.  I think there a couple of factors in play there, but the worst thing is conceding from a deep cross like that.  McAtee made a very tired, half-ar$ed attempt to pressure the crosser; is that where we needed the extra midfielder/winger that we sacrificed for another centre-half?  

Yeah I noticed the weak mcatee pressure attempt,same happened with the Wrexham goal disallowed for offside. Think its probably lack of concentration from him rather than half arsedness as he's a very willing 'closer downer'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
arryarryarry
September 27, 2021, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from goldenfish
Should we only concede perfect goals ? or none at all ? the best teams in the world concede goals that ‘ Could have been stopped ‘ …jeez , what do people expect ? the lads are doing well

So are we no longer allowed to say if it was excrement defending then?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Swansea_Mariner
September 28, 2021, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from arryarryarry

So are we no longer allowed to say if it was excrement defending then?

Course we are but it was also a really high quality header that resulted in the goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Maringer
September 28, 2021, 8:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Not sure how one-sided the highlights were, but it looked as though we had some decent enough attacking moments without really finding the killer pass or cross and they didn't really threaten much. I know the highlights often miss out good chances, however.

A free header in the box is always bad defending, especially when the chance hasn't come when you are stretched and lacking numbers. Excellent ball and good header from them, poor from us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
WesternMariner
September 28, 2021, 8:51am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 38
I spent the first minute of the highlights wanting the team in black and white to score! Should’ve gone to specsavers.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2021, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WesternMariner
I spent the first minute of the highlights wanting the team in black and white to score! Should’ve gone to specsavers.

This was my wife's first ever game watching Town (she's Japanese and we've not been married very long) - try explaining why 95% of the fans were in black and white shirts, one team was in black and white and another was in light blue but we are supporting the team in light blue. Whilst I was wearing my dark blue Ribeiro away shirt (Buckley era).

The poor b*gger was a bit confused at the start.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Swansea_Mariner
September 28, 2021, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63

This was my wife's first ever game watching Town (she's Japanese and we've not been married very long) - try explaining why 95% of the fans were in black and white shirts, one team was in black and white and another was in light blue but we are supporting the team in light blue. Whilst I was wearing my dark blue Ribeiro away shirt (Buckley era).

I was standing close to you I saw the shirt and was thinking that's really smart and it must be an old one as the first ones I can remember were CIBA ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Kris2
September 28, 2021, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136

At least she got that far. Mine hasn't even understood the concept of why they are kicking the ball end to end and nobody is holding a baseball bat.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2021, 11:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I was standing close to you I saw the shirt and was thinking that's really smart and it must be an old one as the first ones I can remember were CIBA ones.

It is, I think it's from the first year we were sponsored by them.

It's hilarious you noticed it! When I put it on my wife said it's very old and a bit tatty and I should buy a new one. I ranted about vintage, retro and showing my years of support and she humoured me. We'd been in the ground for about 5 mins when a guy offered me 40 quid for it!! He collects them and reckons it's quite rare.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2021, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

At least she got that far. Mine hasn't even understood the concept of why they are kicking the ball end to end and nobody is holding a baseball bat.

Were you at Maidenhead? We always notice other Anglo Asian couples and there was a lady there that she thought was Japanese with her western husband/partner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
louth_in_the_south
September 28, 2021, 12:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94

Were you at Maidenhead? We always notice other Anglo Asian couples and there was a lady there that she thought was Japanese with her western husband/partner.

That’ll be my mate Ed and his Japanese wife . They live near Reading somewhere. I was supposed to be meeting him at Maidenhead but had to work .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Kris2
September 28, 2021, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136

Nah I wasn't at that game. Don't make many away games on a Saturday due to work unless I'm somehow in the area and then the missus wouldn't be with me anyway. You're right though somehow we noticed more mixed-race couples in Japan and overseas when we got together. I think it's become way more common in the last 20 years but yeah could be you just pay more attention when you see other people in a similar relationship.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
RonMariner
September 28, 2021, 12:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,659
Gold Stars: 226
Lovely finish by Sousa, I can see him getting double figures this season.

Terrible goal to concede. Free header on the edge of the 6 yard box? With three center halves in the box? Not good enough.

Still, we got more points that Wrexham this weekend. If we can win tonight it will be 4 points from two away games which is good going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2021, 12:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Nah I wasn't at that game. Don't make many away games on a Saturday due to work unless I'm somehow in the area and then the missus wouldn't be with me anyway. You're right though somehow we noticed more mixed-race couples in Japan and overseas when we got together. I think it's become way more common in the last 20 years but yeah could be you just pay more attention when you see other people in a similar relationship.

It also seems quite important to my wife, she often comments 'she/he is Japanese'. When we lived in Tokyo I didn't feel the need to point out westerners/Brits. It is becoming more common, we see lots of mixed couples when we go to the Asian supermarkets and she has a Japanese friend who she met when she moved here who is married to a British guy.

Still a show stopper when we're in Waltham though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Posh Harry
September 28, 2021, 12:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35

Congratulations for being able to fit in it. I have got the same shirt in the loft somewhere but would look like the only gay in the village if I tried to put it on now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Maringer
September 28, 2021, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RonMariner
Lovely finish by Sousa, I can see him getting double figures this season.

Really? He's been playing well and has created a good few goals with his play but hasn't really looked like scoring too many from what I've seen. He's way out on the wing more often than not or is at least the one putting the crosses in. I'd be pleased if he scored a handful and got a dozen assists as well. That would be a great season for an out and out wide player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
jamesgtfc
September 28, 2021, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Good finish by Sousa to side foot it in, I bet he couldn't believe his luck when that fell to him. Good cross by Clifton but we would be berating the defending if it was a goal conceded.

Players are at this level for a reason and often it's because they are prone to lapses in concentration, as we've seen with a few of the goals we've conceded.

Almost every goal conceded is preventable but there is no denying that we've made a good start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
arryarryarry
September 28, 2021, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Course we are but it was also a really high quality header that resulted in the goal.

I wouldn't say it was a high quality header, completely unmarked, Waterfall marking thin air, all he had to do was put his head on it and it was a goal. Garbage defending for me.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
ginnywings
September 28, 2021, 5:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wouldn't say it was a high quality header, completely unmarked, Waterfall marking thin air, all he had to do was put his head on it and it was a goal. Garbage defending for me.

Our goal was garbage defending by them. It happens; even in the Prem you see it every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
Hagrid
September 28, 2021, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from ginnywings

Our goal was garbage defending by them. It happens; even in the Prem you see it every week

absolutely

I think some on here are too quick to dig out a goal for excrement defending, yeah its poor, but this is the 5th tier of english football, not sure what they expect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
BrMarin
September 28, 2021, 6:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Hagrid

I think some on here are too quick to dig out a goal for excrement defending, yeah its poor, but this is the 5th tier of english football, not sure what they expect

The defending for this goal is being questioned because the goal came after the "Parslow Point"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Davec
September 28, 2021, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from BrMarin

The defending for this goal is being questioned because the goal came after the "Parslow Point"

Don't you mean the Pearson point 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maidenhead Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.