Poojah
September 27, 2021, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Ipswin
Out of our list I'm most bothered about Bromley any hangover from Saturday's performance and we will struggle, settle for another away draw

Agreed, it’s the toughest on paper and also important if we want to keep the momentum going with another big crowd against Dover on Saturday. It’s dependent on what Chesterfield do at Woking but it would be fantastic to go into that game on the back of an away win and top of the pile.

I’m confident it will not be be easy, however.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
ex-merseymariner
September 27, 2021, 9:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

Talking of the next 4 games;
Southend, after a poor start so far, play;  Solihull, Eastleigh, Chesterfield, and Dagenham, in their next four.

So who will their next manager be!?!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Poojah
September 27, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Talking of the next 4 games;
Southend, after a poor start so far, play;  Solihull, Eastleigh, Chesterfield, and Dagenham, in their next four.

So who will their next manager be!?!

Phil Parkinson should be looking for a new job around the same time, by my reckoning…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
jamesgtfc
September 27, 2021, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Big next four games for Town. Still early days, but already there are signs of a top 6 six beginning to emerge (with Wrexham and Stockport not yet in it) and those four games will take us to the quarter-way point in the season, which seems like a good time to take stock.

Whilst it’s not ideal that three out of those four are away, we’re not the only ones facing such a prospect and this run of games does also throw up some interesting challenges for our immediate rivals (and Woking, which I’ll come to later). Here’s how things shape up for the current top 6 - figure at the end is average league position of the opponents.

Town
Bromley (A), Dover (H), Altrincham (A), Woking (A) - 15.8

Dagenham
Altrincham (H), Woking (A), Boreham Wood (A), Southend (H) - 13.3

Chesterfield
Woking (A), Wrexham (A), Southend (A), Boreham Wood (H) - 12.0

Boreham Wood (4th)
Eastleigh (A), Torquay (H), Dagenham (H), Chesterfield (A) - 8.3

Halifax (5th)
Barnet (A), Notts County (H), Weymouth (H), Solihull (A) - 12.3

Notts County (6th)
Woking (H), Halifax (A), Yeovil (A), Stockport (H) - 10.8

Ok, I hear ya - “some teams play some other teams”, but there are some interesting call outs here. First off, in terms of the current positions of each side’s next four opponents, we have it far ‘easier’ than all of our immediate rivals with an average of 15.8, versus the likes of Boreham Wood with 8.8. Poor old Woking, bless them, have their four games all against top six clubs - their average is 3.0. The lowest it could possibly be is 2.5, so that’s rough.

Crucially, Town are the only side currently in the top six not to face another current top six side in the next four games. In fact, we don’t face anyone in the top nine, whilst everyone barring Dagenham each face two.

Like Town, Chesterfield also have three out of four away. In fact, their next three are away including a trip to Wrexham on Saturday, followed by a home game against Boreham Wood. Remarkably, they’re yet to play a top nine side yet this season so it will be interesting to see how they respond to that.

Ultimately, nothing is won by mid-October and everyone has to to play everyone. But this is a really great opportunity for Town to set the tone for the rest of the season and potentially put a little bit of distance between us and those around us. That could be massive for confidence and momentum, two things we’ve not had a lot of at BP in recent seasons.

If we can emerge from these next four games undefeated and with a couple of wins, we will be in a very strong position and almost certainly top of the league as we begin the second quarter of the season.

Edit: playful emojis not intended.

Great insight but one of our next 4 is a game in hand so it might be worth looking at it after tomorrow.

Either way, after the next few games we will have played a good mix of teams and able to form more of an opinion regarding our credentials this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
ginnywings
September 27, 2021, 11:44am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Was hoping for a win at Maidenhead, draw at Bromley and a win against Dover. Personally wasn't looking any further than that, but was hoping for 7 points from those three. We'll just have to win at Bromley now instead.  

Looking at the next four as a whole, 8 points would be good to maintain that 2 point average, so 2 wins and 2 draws, but I think a first loss will be on the cards in one of those games.

It's a bit of fun looking at fixtures and trying to predict what might happen, but the beauty of football is that you never really know.

If we want to be at the top come the end of the season, a good target would be 23/24 points at the quarter way mark. 2 wins and a draw would be nice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
HertsGTFC
September 27, 2021, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Draw tomorrow night, beat Dover, draw at Altringham and win at Woking. I’d be happy if that’s how we kept the unbeaten run going.

Lot of time on the bus for the players but I guess that’s the life of a lower/non league footballer.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
ex-merseymariner
September 27, 2021, 12:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

Phil Parkinson should be looking for a new job around the same time, by my reckoning…

I assume u mean the Wrexham one!!!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Heswall Mariner
September 27, 2021, 12:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pizzzza
I'd be happy with 11 pts from those next 4 games.

Quite agree - but how the hell do we get 11 pts from 4 games pizza?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Hagrid
September 27, 2021, 12:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
cant see us being unbeaten at the end of these 4

I think we'll lose tomorrow night, Beat Dover, Win at Alty and lose at Woking,who are a bunch of thugs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
pizzzza
September 27, 2021, 12:45pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Quite agree - but how the hell do we get 11 pts from 4 games pizza?

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next four games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.