Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 379 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 7,848 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
September 26, 2021, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Quoted from forza ivano
very flat performance both on and off the pitch.
as Hurst said none of our players really sparkled - taylor was outnumbered and outgunned by their 3 giants at the back. McAtee tried hard, but nothing really sparked, whilst Hunt had an off day - some surprisingly poor touches and wayward passing. Coke was similar ,but to be fair to them both they battled hard and often won back possession following their mistakes. Sousa looked like our only outlet ,but his final ball was often wayward or easily cut out as there was so little for him to aim at
(btw he was switched to the left immediately following Donnelly , the right back, getting booked - it was a good tactical ploy by Hurst)
I didn't think Efete was as bad as Bigdog makes out - it certainly didn't appear that he was the weak link, and ,although he didn't get forward as much as i would've hoped, he definitely gives us a dangerous attacking option.
Thought Waterfall and Towler were excellent again, particularly Towler - really like him. Has got so much ability and calmness
Clifton was non stop as usual, but his passing, like most of the others, wasn't up to par - as witnessed by the bad pass that eventually led to the goal.
We certainly played into their hands by playing high, long balls , instead of getting it down and passing it quickly
2 final thoughts - for the first time this season i thought we missed having that no. 9 or a quick little striker to help Taylor out
second one is that Devonshire was clever, and got one over Hurst. The very moment pearson came on and we had 3 big men at the back, he immediately brought off the big no.18 up front and replaced him with the quick little lad who eventually scored. was a very clever move

The goalscorer played the full 90, it was just poor poor marking for their goal. But still unbeaten, got to be a lot better on Tuesday against a decent Bromley side
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
Croxton
September 26, 2021, 10:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Much as I dislike the Premier League, Match of The Day et al I did catch the bit where City's successful pressing of Chelsea was highlighted. Much of our successful start has been down to similar tactics especially McAtee. Yesterday, there was little coordination or pattern to pressing their defenders and midfield so they were able to ping balls deep into our half.
Our failure to win enough second ball meant we were on the back foot. Frustration leads to poor touches, sloppy passing and reduced confidence. Too often, we attempted a difficult pass or turn instead of playing a simple ball. Taylor is too easily nullified when we fail to provide swift wing play and crosses. Stuffing the defence against sides like Maidenhead plays into their hands. They counter with more attackers. Taking Sousa off was difficult to fathom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
Son of Cod
September 26, 2021, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The biggest positive today was the Town support who should be applauded for travelling in such numbers.

In numbers perhaps, but the atmosphere was very flat. Far less noisy than the Torquay following a few weeks back that was about half the size and I'm not having it that it was due to the performance either because it was loud at Torquay when we were 1-0 down. Perhaps it didn't help that that the noisiest section just behind the goal was sort of fenced off from those to the right hand side of the goal and around the corner.

Not much to say about the match that hasn't been said. Bad day at the office for us, but I think a bit of credit has to go to Maidenhead who were very well drilled. They were massive at the back and lapped up anything in the air, but they also nullified Hunt, Sousa and McAtee very well. Definitely want to see the equaliser again as I think we were caught napping. Bit of arguing between McKeown and Towler immediately after would also indicate that.

We'll be up against more of the same on Tuesday at Bromley but they've got a greater goal threat, so hopefully that match will have served as a bit of a wake up call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
DB
September 26, 2021, 4:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Bromley may be classed as better than Maidenhead, but only managed to beat Dover 1 - 0 having scored in the first few minutes, hanging on for over 80 mins for the win.

I see Bromley as slightly better than Maidenhead, but no doubt Hurst will be looking and gearing up for a better performance than at Maidenhead. Might be a struggle, but a Town win.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 26, 2021, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Oh a big 👏 for the Maidenhead fans yesterday. It’d be so easy to support Reading or Chelsea round there. And obviously Nick Hornby grew up there (an Arsenal fan).

They had a nice bit of self-deprecating humour when they pointed out we were only drawing with a crap side like them. I’d reserve the “your support is f£&king excrement” for the division’s big clubs that fail to come in numbers to BP.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Son of Cod
September 27, 2021, 4:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from DB
Bromley may be classed as better than Maidenhead, but only managed to beat Dover 1 - 0 having scored in the first few minutes, hanging on for over 80 mins for the win.

I see Bromley as slightly better than Maidenhead, but no doubt Hurst will be looking and gearing up for a better performance than at Maidenhead. Might be a struggle, but a Town win.

Dover do look like they're gonna be rock bottom, but they aren't getting spanked and they seem to picking up odd points (one against Chesterfield no less) and making teams work for it, so I don't know if they should necessarily be used as a gauge. I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I reckon you're underestimating Bromley a bit.

Quoted from KingstonMariner
Oh a big 👏 for the Maidenhead fans yesterday. It’d be so easy to support Reading or Chelsea round there. And obviously Nick Hornby grew up there (an Arsenal fan).

They had a nice bit of self-deprecating humour when they pointed out we were only drawing with a crap side like them. I’d reserve the “your support is f£&king excrement” for the division’s big clubs that fail to come in numbers to BP.

Yeah, I thought they were decent as well to be fair. They did do the YAARKSHIRE chant but with BERKSHIRE at one point though, so they lose some points for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2021, 6:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I thought they were chanting “Yarkshire” just to taunt us 😕

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.