2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
DB
September 24, 2021, 7:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,950
Gold Stars: 386
Addictions of any type are a problem in society. I admire all 3 of the above who mentioned their problems, it's a shame governments ( Red or Blue) don't do more on these problems. All the governments do is pay lip service and move on. They could ban all advertising and provide quality rehab, especially for drug abuse.

The FA, EFL, and Prem could all ban betting sites and shirt advertising but money wins. No morals and greed at clubs need to be sorted out.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Hagrid
September 24, 2021, 9:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,315
Gold Stars: 526
gambling addiction is something i never feared i'd fall into, but did, Saturday nights at 21 not being spent in cleethorpes but being spent in Betfred on chelmsford Ave, lying to me friends, my family, chucking 20 on a dog i knew nothing about and then chasing because it lost, its a nasty scary spiral, because you can hide it so well
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Northbank Mariner
September 24, 2021, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
My late father,, god bless his soul, could give us a lesson in gambling addiction.
He lost our family home, nearly lost his marriage and family, for what?...to chase what he'd lost, that's what...that's how it works, they draw you into the promise land with cheap incentives and once they've got you, bosh, you're hooked and there's only one winner, the bookies, the gambling companies.
As for my dad, he set up the first GA in Grimsby and turned himself around, until the mid 80s when he bought his own bookies and the demons returned, to the point he had to declare bankruptcy.
So, like alcoholism, you can never cure it, once a gambler, you'll always be a recovering gambler.
Sooner they stop advertising gambling and make it less accessible the better as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
wigworld
September 24, 2021, 6:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I spent a year or two betting on town. Soon learnt gambling doesn't pay.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 18
mariner91
September 24, 2021, 8:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,541
Gold Stars: 258
Quoted from wigworld
I spent a year or two betting on town. Soon learnt gambling doesn't pay.

You'd have made a fortune betting against Town last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Henryscat
September 25, 2021, 11:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from DB
Addictions of any type are a problem in society. I admire all 3 of the above who mentioned their problems, it's a shame governments ( Red or Blue) don't do more on these problems. All the governments do is pay lip service and move on. They could ban all advertising and provide quality rehab, especially for drug abuse.

The FA, EFL, and Prem could all ban betting sites and shirt advertising but money wins. No morals and greed at clubs need to be sorted out.

Absolutely agree with most of this, but they’re not going to refuse betting ads in the “skybet football league”

I’ve highlighted the bit in bold as I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a billboard for smack

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Poojah
September 26, 2021, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,394
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from Henryscat

Absolutely agree with most of this, but they’re not going to refuse betting ads in the “skybet football league”

I’ve highlighted the bit in bold as I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a billboard for smack

I take it you’ve not been to Glasgow recently.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Azimuth
September 26, 2021, 8:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 60
There was a very nice property in Scartho as I grew up built by a bookie and appropriately named "Mugs Villa".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
fishcake63
September 26, 2021, 8:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Can understand all these points , as a compulsive gambler for many years it's the lying & the cheating that hurts the most luckily i can now walk in a bookies put 10£ on fixed odds & walk out , my wife still to this day after many years of having it all under control still watches me like an hawk & i have no issues with it at all , good luck to anybody fighting an addiction it not easy to beat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Merson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.