Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Pep Guardiola at again
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 369 Guests

Pep Guardiola at again

This thread currently has 3,334 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
September 24, 2021, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from bawarmy
Fuckoff back to Barca Pep. We don’t want you here

I agree because I think Hurst will do a much better job for us.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
Henryscat
September 25, 2021, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from Poojah

To his credit, I would argue that no individual signing at Man City has been gratuitous in the context of the modern era, with the possible exception of Jack Grealish. Other than that, he’s never spent more than £70m on a player and they haven’t gone down the route of signing ready made superstars - De Bruyne for is example is regarded as a truly world class player today but they got him from Wolfsburg where he wasn’t really a household name on the global scale.

All that said, I agree with you. With the resources at his disposal at City he should have won a Champions League by now - Liverpool and Chelsea have done it. If you look back at his time at Barca where he did win it twice, the squad he inherited in 2008 included Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Eto’o, Pique and Puyol to pick out just a few. You can only work with the hand you’re dealt with, but as hands go that’s pretty fortuitous.

I think it would be foolish to suggest that he’s not a top manager, but he still has a lot to prove in my opinion. Both Guardiola and Klopp will be remembered as two of the greats of the Premier League era, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Thomas Tuchel were to go on to have even better pound for pound achievements.

Only £70million

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
aldi_01
September 26, 2021, 7:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
70million isn’t a lot in the modern game but he’s spent that a fair few times over and has spent more money on defenders than Branson has trying to make himself important…

Pep is a good manager, of that their is no doubt but his failure to win the European cup since leaving Barca when lesser managers and to some extent, teams with far lesser squads is an issue. His own arrogance was the issue in last years final and Tuschel exploited that.

Perhaps it’s his charisma, the cool persona he has or the foreign sleekness to him but for whatever reason, the media love him. City win one big game yesterday and it’s just the same rhetoric we get year on year about how amazing city are, that they’re unstoppable, their brand of football is difficult to play against and so on…as if they’re the only team that play that way.

He won the European cup at Barca but I stand by the comment that I reckon anyone could’ve done that with that squad he inherited.

City are still desperately trying to drink at the top table with Liverpool, Utd (although they’re currently bobbins), Real, Bayern, and other winners of the European cup but they’re struggling to get there…for Pep my personal view is that his failure to win it at Bayern is a bigger failure (I know they seem to get to countless European cup finals and lose), he should’ve won it with them…

Will he ever get there with City? Perhaps, where does he go from city? Who knows…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Pep Guardiola at again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.