arryarryarry
September 23, 2021, 3:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It wouldn't increase capacity at all but if there was demand for it, I guess the Pontoon seats could be used in the 3 open corners to increase capacity?

You would have to rebuild the corners and how much would that cost and if having seating then a roof as most people would be unlikely to buy season tickets to sit in the rain. The temporary seating we had previously was put in for a few big games and soon became unsafe that it wasn't used then taken down.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
aldi_01
September 23, 2021, 6:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I’m a big advocate of safe standing and have experienced it at several stadiums across the world, I think, as town fans we have to recognise that it’s unlikely to feature at BP, or if it does, it’ll be only a small amount.

One thing the new owners have going for them, through the trust also is communication with fans. Whilst plenty of us would much rather stand I do know that around me in the lower findus you’d probably have a 50/50 split, ripping the seats out and replacing them, aside from being costly probably wouldn’t help with club-fan relationships and right now that’s the journey our club is on after the years of embarrassing leadership and alienation and condemnation of the fans from the previous incumbents…

I’m all in favour of ripping all the seats in the lower and the pontoon out but I’m aware that would be unlikely and I understand why.

For football in this country as a whole, it’s a step forward…may be one day we’ll be able to drink as we stand too…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
GrimPol
September 23, 2021, 7:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 68
I haven't stood for an entire match for years. Perhaps people who travel away in this league, and come across standing areas often can vouch for its "enhanced experience". It might be a relief to stand after a 5 hr car journey.
Or is it a nostalgia thing that we had "taken" away and now pine for.
One thing is sure, you can't mix sitting and standing, kids and women are at a disadvantage when in a standing area anyway, and some kind of leaning barrier needs erecting.
Suggest the Osmond Community corner is made a standing area, and the use of is monitored. If it's filled consistently, then it's a winner. However, if it's sparsley filled, after a few games when the novelty wears off you have an answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
GollyGTFC
September 23, 2021, 7:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
I’m still amazed that some people think a new stadium won’t happen under 1878. BP is not fit for purpose. The Main Stand & Osmond Stand especially so.

One of our owners has made his millions in delivering finance for property developments. Don’t be fooled by Jason & Andrew remaining silent. They aren’t going to go down the Fenty route of banging on about it endlessly whilst getting nowhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 27
aldi_01
September 23, 2021, 8:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I’m still amazed that some people think a new stadium won’t happen under 1878. BP is not fit for purpose. The Main Stand & Osmond Stand especially so.

One of our owners has made his millions in delivering finance for property developments. Don’t be fooled by Jason & Andrew remaining silent. They aren’t going to go down the Fenty route of banging on about it endlessly whilst getting nowhere.

This is my thinking. They’ll quietly go about their research and affordability processes whilst letting the team crack on and keeping supporters focussed on that. Not sure they’ll spunk valuable cash on a pipe dream either…chasing one site Becauee they’re the only people that think it’s any good…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
September 23, 2021, 8:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Although 1878 said a new stadium was not a priority they didn't rule it out. I am 100% convinced that they will have some kind of idea of how they would achieve that. For  all we know there could be low key tentative moves going on in the background to explore that. Unlike The Leech, 1878 play their cards close to their chests. Any progress that JF made towards a new ground was flagged up with a display of flags and a trumpet chorus as if to say "look what I'm doing for the club" 1878's priority was creating a better match day experience, building bridges with the fans and dragging the clubs administration into the 21st century. For our club, as a whole, to be a modern, well run business then at some point in the not too distant future we need a new ground. The present ground capacity is set and any development to increase that would be costly and need planning permission. Like a previous poster said, if the open corners were brought back into use, as either seating or standing, then it would have to be roofed. That would  increase the skyline profile with all the resulting objections from nearby residents. By increasing the ground capacity you would have to satisfy the planning officers that there is sufficient nearby parking to accommodate the increase - on street parking would never be considered as "satisfying that"..

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
DB
September 23, 2021, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I agree with you. We don't know how long it took them from thinking about buying Town to the money being handed over and the contract signed. One day, preferably sooner than later, we'll wake to a plan submitted to the council for approval, money, and time frame in place.

They made promises and delivered on all of them. A new stadium was not one of their immediate priorities, but sustainability is so we will just have to be patient.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2021, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
I fully agree that we need to be filling BP if we want to move to a bigger stadium. There are reasons why some don't/didn't go and they are being addressed. 1878 have had some good fortune in this regard because they inherited a new, untried ticketing system and a fanzone that was on track for completion.

But, I don't think a new ticketing system would have lead to 2 home sell outs from the first 4 games. The ticketing system has undoubtedly helped but 1878 have set about ensuring fans can enjoy quality food at the game and ensured that the club communicates how many tickets are sold to create a buzz about the place. The fact people knew just how few tickets were available last week helped us sell out I am sure because it created the Fear Of Missing Out.

They've made improvements to the ground such as the glass barrier and they announced last week that they had hired 3 new portaloos. It may not sound much, but it's a small gesture that shows they appreciate queues are going to be large.

1878, whilst transparent, only tell us what they want to tell us and I'm sure work is going on behind the scenes but they won't pose for a picture on land owned by their in-laws, only for nothing to happen.

Selling out BP generates significantly more income which means we can improve various things such as infrastructure and the playing budget. But what it also does is mean that people can't get to games so there will then be demand at a new stadium, which means it can start paying for itself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing Approved

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.