Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing Approved
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 190 Guests

Safe Standing Approved

This thread currently has 2,728 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
September 22, 2021, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Judging by the reaction, looks like just me and you think that is a good idea.

It's not the idea but the practicality of installing it at  BP. It won't increase the gate and is not cost effective.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Poojah
September 22, 2021, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from Heisenberg

The solution for us is a new stadium with rail seating behind both goals. That would get my vote.

Blundell Park is beyond redevelopment, no matter what the romantics think.

Not safe standing per se, but I’ve always liked the look of Gremio’s ground in Brazil. It’s only nine years old, so it’s quite odd to see old school terracing in such a modern stadium.

[img]https://www.linkpicture.com/q/LPic614b5f53668781258341871.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.rbsdirect.com.br/imagesrc/25741728.jpg?w=1200&h=630&a=c&version=1575255600[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Limerick Mariner
September 22, 2021, 6:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
I'd understood that previously we couldn't convert seating back to terracing that was done because we were in the Championship. This change should remove that restriction. Whether there is any point, will be for 1878 to work out the cost-benefit, which I expect they are very good at...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 22, 2021, 8:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
Don't most people stand up during the match at some point anyway? Having a seat positioned behind everyone is a bonus.

If each seat can only be replaced with one standing admission, then there is ne benefit to getting rid of the seating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
ska face
September 22, 2021, 8:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,361
Gold Stars: 824
Seats are designed to be sat in, not stood in front of. It’s not safe to have hundreds/thousands of people stood with something at shin height in front of them. That’s the point.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2021, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
I'm fortunate enough to sit in the Upper if I was in the other stands and I'd bought a seat I'd expect to be able to sit down. I think people should be allowed to stand at football matches but in designated standing only areas.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
diehardmariner
September 22, 2021, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from rancido

It's not the idea but the practicality of installing it at  BP. It won't increase the gate and is not cost effective.

It won't increase the gate itself, but whilst we're at BP surely it's only aspirational to want increase both demand and capacity.

Like it or not, we're not guaranteed to get a new ground any time soon. For the record I'm a believer that we need to move to a new ground for a variety of reasons. But until then we need to best of what we've got. Personally (and I think 1878 are the same) I don't want to limit ourselves to 6,000 home tickets every home game.

North East Lincolnshire has a population of 160,000.  6,000 is a small fraction of that, not even counting for those who live outside the county boundaries. There's no reason we shouldn't look to expand on our fan base or wait for a new stadium to do so.

As for cost effective, there's another thread in the last few days about the increased revenue from extra seats. 2000 seats sold at an average of £15 is just shy of £700,000 over a season. No accounting for any other revenue generated from food, merchandise etc.

We're in the fifth tier of the English league and selling out home games. Yes it's early days and yes it could be a flash in the pan, but if it lasts and we (as a club) aren't looking at maximising our demand and the capacity to meet it, then it would be a failure in my eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
diehardmariner
September 22, 2021, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Judging by the reaction, looks like just me and you think that is a good idea.

Ah, I don't see the crosses so couldn't comment. If it's just us we can have a corner each named after us. 😉
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Vance Warner
September 22, 2021, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Filling the corners with seats I’d be all in favour of but if there’s standing I can’t see it anywhere other than the Ponny. A good atmosphere at BP needs the Pontoon bouncing and if there’s standing elsewhere it will just dampen that at a time when it’s the beat it’s been in a while
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
KingstonMariner
September 23, 2021, 12:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
But ironically Vance the Pontoon is seated. Much better IMO if you’re going to the expense of safe standing to build it in the corners. It’s the cheapest way of increasing capacity. Otherwise you just spend a lot of money just to end up with the same capacity.

Get rid of the police box while we’re at it to make more space. With modern cameras you don’t have to have a control room looking directly at the pitch.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Safe Standing Approved

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.