Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Telegraph coverage downgraded
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 364 Guests

Grimsby Telegraph coverage downgraded

This thread currently has 5,793 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
DB
September 22, 2021, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So that makes the Ancholme a tributary of the Humber, no?

It only flows into the Humber when the sluice is lowered. The lock pits always have 1 set of gates shut so the water cannot flow into the Humber.

Quote from Wiki :-

"The Humber is a large tidal estuary on the east coast of Northern England. It is formed at Trent Falls, Faxfleet, by the confluence of the tidal rivers Ouse and Trent"

My main point being was that you cannot trust a word in the GT or GL as they make up stories as they go along. Barton does not have the River Ancholme flowing through it. I just dread to think what this new guy is going to write about Town.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
White_shorts
September 22, 2021, 2:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -599
Gold Stars: 9
I enjoyed the Geoff Ford column on Fridays, but it hasn't appeared for the past few months. I didn't notice anything at the time about it being his last one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
DB
September 25, 2021, 6:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
I just read this in GL by Luke Green

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/the-atmosphere-electric-hopeful-mariners-5965348

While this article doesn't seem too bad he has a poor reputation overhaul especially:-

"The River Ancholme passes through Scunthorpe and Barton"
Source  https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/there-dead-birds-it-you-5791813

I really dread to think what crap comes out of his keyboard or indeed what planet he is on, if he is the next GL/GT  Town reporter.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
September 25, 2021, 1:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB

The Humber is formed by the Ouse and Trent joining, the Ancholme has a sluice and lock pit to join the Humber.

The Ancholme is a tributary of the Humber, as is the Freshney, and the River Hull on the North Bank.

A river that flows into a larger river on its way to the sea is a tributary, the addition of sluices or locks by human beings doesn't change that fact.

The Ancholme doesn't flow through Scunny or Barton though. So the bloke is a muppet.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
chaos33
September 25, 2021, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
The website is almost unusable. Smothered in pop ups and adverts and click bait, it’s pretty much a waste of time at best, and at worst, infuriatingly slow, irrelevant and unenlightening. What a sad decline due to commercial priorities. Like most other things.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
barrattstandman
September 25, 2021, 2:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 17
I sold the ET in my shop for 48 years . At its peak I was selling 450 copies per day . When I retired a few years ago that was down to just under 100 . The ET went down the pan when it left Grimsby printing to go to Leicester and Derby . When I retired circulation was 16000 per day . I shudder what to think what it is today . We are lucky that we have a local daily paper . Many larger towns do not . Scunthorpe Evening edition went weekly about 10 or so years ago . The standard of reporting is really shocking since moving out of town . The only way to keep it in print daily is to buy it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
friskneymariner
September 25, 2021, 7:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from barrattstandman
I sold the ET in my shop for 48 years . At its peak I was selling 450 copies per day . When I retired a few years ago that was down to just under 100 . The ET went down the pan when it left Grimsby printing to go to Leicester and Derby . When I retired circulation was 16000 per day . I shudder what to think what it is today . We are lucky that we have a local daily paper . Many larger towns do not . Scunthorpe Evening edition went weekly about 10 or so years ago . The standard of reporting is really shocking since moving out of town . The only way to keep it in print daily is to buy it .

They refuse to pubkish their circulation figures,presumably too embarrassed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Telegraph coverage downgraded

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.