toontown
September 21, 2021, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ginnywings
A lot of the new signings only have a 1 yr contract.

I guess Hurst isn't as generous as Holloway in throwing 2 and 3 year contracts around. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202

Thank intercourse we've got montel Gibson tied down until May 2023
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
Maringer
September 21, 2021, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Sousa is absolutely full of running (reminds me of Parkinson in that regard), but looks like he will be more effective than a Mackreth or Colbeck type to me, especially as he's decent with the ball at his feet and is linking up well with the players around him. I doubt that too many full-backs will keep him out of games completely this season so it just shows what sort of player can be found in non-league.

It doesn't look like he's going to get into goalscoring positions himself too often this season, but that's not a problem if the rest of the team are scoring goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2021, 7:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Maringer
Sousa is absolutely full of running (reminds me of Parkinson in that regard), but looks like he will be more effective than a Mackreth or Colbeck type to me, especially as he's decent with the ball at his feet and is linking up well with the players around him. I doubt that too many full-backs will keep him out of games completely this season so it just shows what sort of player can be found in non-league.

It doesn't look like he's going to get into goalscoring positions himself too often this season, but that's not a problem if the rest of the team are scoring goals.

He's already getting doubled up on. The Eastleigh 26 got an early booking for taking him out on Saturday. There was another moment where 2 players were on him and one of them tried to pull him down and missed, leaving 26 scared to do anything because he was on a booking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
thefish
September 22, 2021, 7:31am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
He’s one of those players that I always hated playing against as a kid…

Before the game, you’d be pleased that you’re up against someone of his size and stature; however, as you’d go to knock him off the ball ‘easily’ for the first time in the match, he’d always clip it through your legs and be off before your ‘shoulder’ could meet him!

Then you’d realise you’re in for a nightmare game…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2021, 7:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from thefish
He’s one of those players that I always hated playing against as a kid…

Before the game, you’d be pleased that you’re up against someone of his size and stature; however, as you’d go to knock him off the ball ‘easily’ for the first time in the match, he’d always clip it through your legs and be off before your ‘shoulder’ could meet him!

Then you’d realise you’re in for a nightmare game…

He's probably the sort who says "megs" as he does it too. Being told the obvious used to make me see red!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
bedders78
September 22, 2021, 9:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He's already getting doubled up on. The Eastleigh 26 got an early booking for taking him out on Saturday. There was another moment where 2 players were on him and one of them tried to pull him down and missed, leaving 26 scared to do anything because he was on a booking.

If teams double up on him and McAtee then there is going to be plenty of space for the others

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Les Brechin
September 22, 2021, 9:42am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from bedders78

If teams double up on him and McAtee then there is going to be plenty of space for the others

It showed with the first goal against Eastleigh. They were too busy watching Waterfall at corners and having 2 men on him, that it left the room for Efete to get that header in.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
diehardmariner
September 22, 2021, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,068
Gold Stars: 518
I think that's the difference with this team to what we've seen previously.

Edwards last season was soon doubled up on.  Before that Dembele was rounded upon, Scott Neilson, Nathan Arnold....the list is endless of players we've had who have become our sole outlet and source of creativity.  Whilst not a similar type of player, James Hanson's effectiveness dwindled when teams had two players sandwiching him to nullify his ability to do anything in the air.  

What we've got now is two stand out creative types in Sousa and McAtee AND then players bombing on like Efete that creates spaces for others AND the energy of Clifton/Fox to drag players all over the place AND Taylor/LJL dragging people out of position when dropping deep AND (arguably most crucially) Hunt who keeps the tempo far too quick for most teams at this level.  Absolute perfect combination to cause teams havoc.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
acko338
September 22, 2021, 9:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Look at how much space was found for Fox to shoot and score - like a biblical parting of the Red Sea !

This is where McAtee is valuable, see the space, create it for someone else by drawing out the defender marking him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see several midfielders weighing with significant goal amounts this year.

Then Efete and Waterfall pitching in with 5 or 6 each from set pieces ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Hagrid
September 22, 2021, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from acko338
Look at how much space was found for Fox to shoot and score - like a biblical parting of the Red Sea !

This is where McAtee is valuable, see the space, create it for someone else by drawing out the defender marking him.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see several midfielders weighing with significant goal amounts this year.

Then Efete and Waterfall pitching in with 5 or 6 each from set pieces ?

pearson is always there or thereabouts with goals too isnt he, if he can get in the side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sousa

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.