Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jimmy greaves
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 157 Guests

Jimmy greaves

This thread currently has 2,073 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
September 19, 2021, 1:06pm
Guest User
RIP Jimmy,  saw him several times playing for club and Country. Quality  in front of goal. With Kane valued at 150 million what would Jimmy of been valued at.  Very Sad news.
Reply: 10 - 15
White_shorts
September 19, 2021, 1:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -618
Gold Stars: 9
It annoys me intensely that Justin Whittle's best mate is lauded as Premier League top scorer. Greaves' achievement is being airbrushed from history.

The PL is just the first division with a different name. The greedy top flight clubs resigned from the League in 1992 because they wanted to set up their own TV deal and keep the money for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
wuffing
September 19, 2021, 3:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +820
Gold Stars: 38
RIP Jimmy

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Caveman
September 19, 2021, 8:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +761
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from joe56
What a player! I only ever saw him play for England, but he certainly knocked in a few in those games. The standout was the 9-3 annihilation of Scotland at Wembley. He wasn’t just a goalscorer though - his all-round game was good. And a great bloke too. RIP Jim.

I was lucky enough to be at that game when he played
in a forward line that contained Jimmy, Johnny Haynes
and Bobby Charlton.

What would they be worth today ?

RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
TownSNAFU5
September 19, 2021, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,822
Gold Stars: 42
I never saw him play, although old enough.  He was the greatest goalscorer in Europe, across the 4 top divisions, for 46 years.  He scored 366 goals at the highest level.  Only Ronaldo in 2017 was able to beat his record.

He scored more goals at top club level than the great Gerd Muller.

He will be sadly missed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
joe56
September 19, 2021, 11:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Caveman

I was lucky enough to be at that game when he played
in a forward line that contained Jimmy, Johnny Haynes
and Bobby Charlton.

What would they be worth today ?

RIP

It was my first ever visit to Wembley. I was 11, and I remember it as being like a marble palace in a semi-rural area with a bowling green of a pitch. Compared very favourably with the present ground. The remarkable thing was that Bobby Charlton, England’s leading scorer for years,  didn’t score! I’ve always felt that the team was at least as good as the 1966 World Cup winning side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jimmy greaves

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.