4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
September 18, 2021, 9:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
The other thing worth recognising is that we are playing some fantastic, attractive football as well. That Taylor goal on Tuesday was a Buckley-esque thing of beauty and for all that Efete is raw it is so good seeing him charging forward to support and even overlap Sousa. Then genuine quality on the ball with McAtee and Hunt too. Hurst had a somewhat unfair reputation for dour, pragmatic football in his first spell but I don't think anybody could claim that at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
rancido
September 18, 2021, 10:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
I prefer the expression 'evolved Hurst' as opposed to 'new '. We all change or evolve over time especially in our younger days. Many of us had a different approach to life in our late 30's than we did in our early 20's. Marriage , various careers/workplaces and life experiences all contribute to a different perspective on our lives and attitudes. Town was Hursts first 'big ' chance in football ,with diffent demands and expectations to what had gone on before. Shouty leaves the scene and PH is flying solo. He achieves his prime objective by getting us back into the FL and then sees The Leech in his true colours. He goes to Shrewsbury and performs a minor miracle in keeping them up plus he sees how things are done at a "professional club ". The opportunity at Ipswich is one not to miss ( similar to AB going to WBA ) but maybe a step too far ,too soon. His sacking from Ipswich will have given him time for reflection on his career . Follow this with an appointment and subsequent sacking from Scumthorpe ,almost certainly due to another ' controlling ,power mad owner ' which brings us to the PH who we now have. More worldly wise in the cut throat world of professional football , with the experience and ability to build on that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
mariner91
September 18, 2021, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,251
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I really thought it was business as usual went Barnet went 3-1 up. Glad I was wrong. A fight back like that, gives me hope we will score. There’s goals in that thar team.

But we haven’t played a ‘park the bus’ type team yet.

Haven’t we? Weymouth didn’t seem particularly fussed about attacking us other than a five minute spell just before we scored.

And although we struggled a bit I think that was mainly cause we played a really narrow system which didn’t work. Playing like we have in the last few games, I think we’d still create chances.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2021, 12:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91

Haven’t we? Weymouth didn’t seem particularly fussed about attacking us other than a five minute spell just before we scored.

And although we struggled a bit I think that was mainly cause we played a really narrow system which didn’t work. Playing like we have in the last few games, I think we’d still create chances.

Ah, when you’re relying on John Tondeur to know what’s happening, you do get the impression that Town’s goal is under constant threat. That’s my excuse anyway.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
mariner91
September 18, 2021, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,251
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Ah, when you’re relying on John Tondeur to know what’s happening, you do get the impression that Town’s goal is under constant threat. That’s my excuse anyway.

“Half cleared”. I love John but you would think we were under siege every game listening to him. Weymouth spent most of the first half with 10 men behind the ball deep in their own half. But we overcame it, and we’ve got better since then! I’m optimistic.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Kris2
September 18, 2021, 1:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from rancido
I prefer the expression 'evolved Hurst' as opposed to 'new '. We all change or evolve over time especially in our younger days. Many of us had a different approach to life in our late 30's than we did in our early 20's. Marriage , various careers/workplaces and life experiences all contribute to a different perspective on our lives and attitudes. Town was Hursts first 'big ' chance in football ,with diffent demands and expectations to what had gone on before. Shouty leaves the scene and PH is flying solo. He achieves his prime objective by getting us back into the FL and then sees The Leech in his true colours. He goes to Shrewsbury and performs a minor miracle in keeping them up plus he sees how things are done at a "professional club ". The opportunity at Ipswich is one not to miss ( similar to AB going to WBA ) but maybe a step too far ,too soon. His sacking from Ipswich will have given him time for reflection on his career . Follow this with an appointment and subsequent sacking from Scumthorpe ,almost certainly due to another ' controlling ,power mad owner ' which brings us to the PH who we now have. More worldly wise in the cut throat world of professional football , with the experience and ability to build on that.

I really think Hurst wouldn't have come back without meeting the perspective new owners first and hearing their vision for the club. He was regularly frustrated in his last spell at not having the things we needed to move forward and the lack of ambition for anything other than a new stadium project because they desperately wanted to leave their mark on the town for Fenty's political ambitions. Who wouldn't be frustrated at being told you can't upgrade the training facilities or the basic things players need don't happen because all the money is being wasted on pursuing a new stadium. First thing the new owners have focused on is improving training facilities for the team and improving the matchday experience for fans to bring them back into the fold.

I think Hurst is much more positive because he's being properly backed and listened to.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.