4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
September 17, 2021, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,226
Gold Stars: 33
The new culture talked about will reap benefits over a period of time, not overnight.

Food facilities, pitch upgrades, pro back room staff additions, more professional set for the training ground - these are all mainly unseen by punters, but are essential for players to be attracted.

As they improve further, we can hopefully attract more youth players who can come through the system, bring higher quality loans in when needed, and also bring the club to the attention of managers and players further up the league ladders.

A good start thus far this season, crowds up, good open attacking play, players who are fully appreciated by the fans for skills and efforts - all looking good !

All emenating from 2 proper like minded businessmen with a properly set out action plan, a true love of the club, and happy to promote the club away from this region - Guardian articles, Robertson's news articles - all good.

And.. possibly the best for fans... the videos of team spirit, good quality positive interviews... and a manager who has acquired a sense of humour to go with his information when being interviewed !

We are told it's OUR club - the proof is now out there in many media formats now, along with the new matchday experiences on offer !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
RichMariner
September 17, 2021, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from acko338
As they improve further, we can hopefully attract more youth players who can come through the system, bring higher quality loans in when needed, and also bring the club to the attention of managers and players further up the league ladders.

This is a great point. You look at someone like Alex Hunt. Footballers, managers and chief execs talk. Soon we'll be a club that other teams want to loan their best prospects to — not just because they'll get played, but because they'll get looked after (which is just as important).

I look at players like Ryan Taylor who, you know, has played for a fair few clubs, moved around the country... but wouldn't it be great if we could make his twilight years in football some of his best? He looked like he enjoyed scoring his two goals, and I'd love it if, upon retiring, he looks back and says 'I had a great career and had some great times at Portsmouth and Plymouth but, actually, my highlights were at Grimsby'.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2021, 2:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
I think for me I’ve noticed Hurst seems different but I think people also remember the negative bits rather than some of the positives. I may be a bit cynical but the difference could be that last time it felt like he has a lot to prove at this level and now he’s proven as he took us up.

I think the club by its own admission still has a lot to do but the culture and feel is already very different and that rubs off on all involved. Hurst will be feeling good as we’ve had a good start for once but more importantly he’s being trusted and backed by the owners, that as we all recall was one of the reasons cited for his departure last time.

Also when the manager is relaxed and confident that has a massive impact on the playing squad. Looking at some of the players he’s brought in it feels like we’ve gone up a level already from the way we started the promotion season and again that would put any manager in a good place.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Poojah
September 17, 2021, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,460
Gold Stars: 1,500
I think one thing that might have been overlooked slightly is the realisation between Hurst and the fans, that it wasn’t each other that were the problem, but rather someone else.

There appears to be a newfound mutual respect as it begins to dawn on both parties that, actually, you’re alright…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
exiledmeggie
September 17, 2021, 2:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 18
I have to be honest, PH was not my man to ...

Now, I can see through my wrong thinking!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
RonMariner
September 17, 2021, 3:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,642
Gold Stars: 226
Great to see him on the pitch fist pumping on Tuesday night. He is clearly happy here and we are glad to have him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
fishcake63
September 17, 2021, 7:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,223
Gold Stars: 62
If we win tomorrow & it's  not a gimme i will start to believe i really will but got to admit i'm nervous as ell it will go t-ts up for us , can we better tuesday evening best i'v seen us in first 45 mins for years & the ground bouncing was a sight to behold UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
RonMariner
September 17, 2021, 7:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,642
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from fishcake63
If we win tomorrow & it's  not a gimme i will start to believe i really will but got to admit i'm nervous as ell it will go t-ts up for us , can we better tuesday evening best i'v seen us in first 45 mins for years & the ground bouncing was a sight to behold UTM

I think we have all been conditioned by years of failure to fear the worst. As soon as we went behind at Torquay I thought , well that's it then, game over. Because for years it would have been.

But I am slowly beginning to realise that this team is different. They never give up. The heads don't drop like they used to the minute we concede. The self belief they have is amazing.

Great to see, and slowly our mind set will start moving in a more optimistic direction too.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2021, 1:08am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I really thought it was business as usual went Barnet went 3-1 up. Glad I was wrong. A fight back like that, gives me hope we will score. There’s goals in that thar team.

But we haven’t played a ‘park the bus’ type team yet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
1mickylyons
September 18, 2021, 1:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Poojah
I think one thing that might have been overlooked slightly is the realisation between Hurst and the fans, that it wasn’t each other that were the problem, but rather someone else.

There appears to be a newfound mutual respect as it begins to dawn on both parties that, actually, you’re alright…

This in spades. PH now clearly appreciates just what he has in a fanbase that will back his team to the hilt and they`re not the enemy after all . Likewise the fanbase have realised that the best Manager since Buckley actually worked miracles getting promoted with he who shall not be named holding the purse strings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.