HertsGTFC
September 15, 2021, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

It was an odd appointment, and I think if things go badly over the next three or four games then that might be enough to see him out the door. I’m contrast to Town who looked incredibly united, they didn’t look like a proper team -   petulant and cynical. It’s understandable too, if the bloke sat on the desk next to you or in the same van got paid 5x as much to do the same job, that’s not going to do wonders for harmony in the workplace is it?

Out of interest, who was the last manager with no prior non-league experience to win promotion from the national league?

Someone may have beat me to it, Graham Alexander?

If anyone wants to get out of this league having someone who really understands it in my opinion is a massive advantage, John Sill and Gary Johnson feel like good examples if that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
marinerdazza
September 15, 2021, 11:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Wrexham’s problem apart from their manager is that they bought Mullin but didn’t bring Hoolahan too. And now they’re stuck until their transfer window opens in January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
RonMariner
September 15, 2021, 11:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from marinerdazza
Wrexham’s problem apart from their manager is that they bought Mullin but didn’t bring Hoolahan too. And now they’re stuck until their transfer window opens in January.

Well I didn't see Mullen do much at all last night. One tame shot from the edge of the box. That was about it.

If you had said to someone who didn't know that there was player worth £1million over three years on show last night I imagine they would have thought you meant Towler, McAtee, Taylor, Hunt, Sousa or even Waterfall.

But then they would have realised. It's bloody obvious. It must be Max Wright.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
Poojah
September 15, 2021, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from RonMariner

Well I didn't see Mullen do much at all last night. One tame shot from the edge of the box. That was about it.

If you had said to someone who didn't know that there was player worth £1million over three years on show last night I imagine they would have thought you meant Towler, McAtee, Taylor, Hunt, Sousa or even Waterfall.

Of all of those above, I think Hunt and Towler are absolutely nailed on to command those kind of transfer fees at some point in their career, if not a lot more. First I've seen of Towler, but shades of real class there. Hunt, even accounting for his age, is different gravy.

Early days, but McAtee is the other one who wouldn't surprise me. From Scunny to Grimsby, given both club's recent predicaments, doesn't sound like a career path that's going to lead to a big pay day, but I find it mind boggling that he only turned 22 six weeks ago. He neither looks nor plays like it - from what I've seen so far his career has a very high ceiling.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
jamesgtfc
September 15, 2021, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Of all of those above, I think Hunt and Towler are absolutely nailed on to command those kind of transfer fees at some point in their career, if not a lot more. First I've seen of Towler, but shades of real class there. Hunt, even accounting for his age, is different gravy.

Early days, but McAtee is the other one who wouldn't surprise me. From Scunny to Grimsby, given both club's recent predicaments, doesn't sound like a career path that's going to lead to a big pay day, but I find it mind boggling that he only turned 22 six weeks ago. He neither looks nor plays like it - from what I've seen so far his career has a very high ceiling.

His brother is a Man City youth player too...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
toontown
September 15, 2021, 11:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,271
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RonMariner

Mullin did put in a great delivery for their goal that was offside to be fair, their no 9 went to early it would seem as there weren't many complaints from them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Jarmo.Is.God
September 16, 2021, 8:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86

I think those odds will change when Town are sat at the top of the league, 12 points clear by Christmas

The optimism didn't last long then...
ONLY 12 points clear????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
forza ivano
October 6, 2021, 12:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
BUMP!
Southend - 19 points dropped
County - 15 points dropped (btw you should read their forum tonight - they're not happy!)
Wrexham - 14
Stockport  - 13
Chesterfield -11
GY - 7

Interestingly Borehamwood have only played 1 of the big 6 (Stockport draw) so you could say they've had  a very easy run so far
Dagenham have played 2 of the big 6 and lost both
the ones perhaps worth keeping an eye on are Halifax who have played 3 of the big 6 and won them all
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
mimma
October 6, 2021, 12:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
The only test we haven't faced yet is the lowly team that just parks the bus. You know the ones, ball in row Z, waste as much time as possible, fake injury, scream in agony when tackled. They are a real test of character when we get one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
Mayaman
October 6, 2021, 3:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

It was an odd appointment, and I think if things go badly over the next three or four games then that might be enough to see him out the door. I’m contrast to Town who looked incredibly united, they didn’t look like a proper team -   petulant and cynical. It’s understandable too, if the bloke sat on the desk next to you or in the same van got paid 5x as much to do the same job, that’s not going to do wonders for harmony in the workplace is it?

Out of interest, who was the last manager with no prior non-league experience to win promotion from the national league?

I work at a place like that and It's not good for morale.  There was no work around because of COVID otherwise, i'd be out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big 6 watch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.