mariner91
September 13, 2021, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Ipswin
The last game at BP before it became all seated was v Wolves 4th May 1999. Swin Jntr and I made the trip to stand in my old spot in the Pontoon one last time, got a lump of wood off the edge of the step in fact.

Wondered where this sentence was heading at this point.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
toontown
September 13, 2021, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
I thought from the dregs of my memory the last game standing at BP was against Barnsley but could definitely be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
Manchester Mariner
September 13, 2021, 11:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

We also beat Wolves 1-0 at BP when we were in Div 4.  Not sure if in league or cup. It was a very good win though.

It was in the cup, John Cockerill scoring direct from the corner if I remember right. The first win of our cup run which ended at Plough Lane.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
toontown
September 13, 2021, 11:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

It was in the cup, John Cockerill scoring direct from the corner if I remember right. The first win of our cup run which ended at Plough Lane.

Yep Steve bull and Andy Mutch were peppering sherwoods goal but he kept us in it, cockers did the rest!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
NorthLondonMariner
September 13, 2021, 11:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Ipswin
The last game at BP before it became all seated was v Wolves 4th May 1999. Swin Jntr and I made the trip to stand in my old spot in the Pontoon one last time, got a lump of wood off the edge of the step in fact.

I got kicked out at halftime by a nob of a steward for smoking in the ponny. Despite the fact, I was a non-smoker.  I was gutted. To be fair to the club though, I did get a refund when i made a complaint a few days later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 14, 2021, 12:21am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t forget the 5-1 win over Wolves in the early 80s when Tommy Docherty said that Town had had their ‘final’ and ‘we’ll see who is where at the end of the season’. Wolves got relegated. 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
grimps
September 14, 2021, 3:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
The first Town-Wolves game I remember was the 1-0 FA cup game that really started Buckley’s wonderful cup run then the double promotions the following seasons .They had Steve Bull playing for them who went on that season to play for England despite being in the 3rd division.
I was lucky enough to get the chance to stand on their great huge old terrace in the early 90s ( which I believe was the largest in English football holding 30000) when we beat them with Dave Beasant in goal for us , I was in the side of the terrace with their fans as Town had sold all their allocation .
I Also remember us beating them at theirs in the early  2000s when Andy Todd scored.

The final game we had standing was against them and I stood in the pontoon and watched
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
arryarryarry
September 14, 2021, 3:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The 2 clubs do seem to have a history of memorable cup games.

There were the 3 big League cup games against Wolves in 1980.  Quarterfinals I think.  Kevin Drinkell hit the bar(from memory) at Wolves in the first replay.  We would have won the game if he had scored.

Lost the 2nd replay at Derby 2-0.  I was fortunate to go to both replays as on a course in Hereford.

Wolves had a star-studded team of household names.

We also beat Wolves 1-0 at BP when we were in Div 4.  Not sure if in league or cup. It was a very good win though.

Went on the train to the replay at Wolves and the twatting train broke down in Lincoln, I think we were about 20 minutes late getting in.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
Mayaman
September 14, 2021, 4:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I dated a lass who went to Uni in Wolverhampton.  I went to see her.  Coincidently, Town was playing them at Molineaux.  I didn't take her.  Previously, she went to Loftus Road and supported QPR because she liked their kit .  Tsk!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
Garth
September 14, 2021, 7:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from mimma

I had two uncles that went to that game. They told me that we took many train loads and charas. Afterwards they went to a dance in Belle Vue and got into fights with Wolves fans. They reckon that it took police horse on the dance floor to break it up!

Neigh!  lad, twas a fox trotting on that did it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby and Wolves

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.