RonMariner
August 31, 2021, 10:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Gold Stars: 224
Good point.

I'm very happy with that.  Early days, but it looks like we have some quality at last!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 152
Mariner56
August 31, 2021, 10:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Looks like this might be Harry Clifton's season to shine. His incredible work rate will serve him well in this league.

Also, I really enjoyed listening to Gary Henshaw as co-commentator. He knows his stuff and focuses on the positives when JT starts to fret. Hope we hear more from him this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 152
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Lucky point. Probabaly even 2 piints dropped.

Could of been over in the 1st half easily, lucky for us Stockport didn't bring their shooting boots. Second galf when we showed some actual intent we were much better and bar one or two break aways Stockport looked bang average. Play like we did in the 2nd half for 90 mins we probabaly would of won.

Stockport really struggled with Shop, we need him fit for the season as Taylor looks second to him in every aspect of his game at the minute.

Hunt should be allowed to push on more often, we don't need both him and Coke defending, he looked more confortable on the ball when we were attacking and had some really good link up with Efete and McAtee.

Clifton ran his socks off as always and was involved with everything.

Pearson made the difference at the back. Our passing became clinical out the back instead of aimless hoofs.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 152
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 31, 2021, 10:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
This is excrement. Typical Hurst defensive balderdash. We might as well just sit on the half wayline and wait for them. Taylor already looks knackered and McAtees too deep every time we break. Neither fullback can get up the pitch because of the over load.

I am currently out of the country with limited internet access.

Your posts are invaluable.

If I need to catch up on a Town match ‘x’ number of hours after the match, I can read your posts, digest them like a prune smoothie and understand that what actually happened is the exact opposite of what you have bashed out on your keyboard.

You are like Anton Diffring in ‘Escape To Victory’.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 152
moosey_club
August 31, 2021, 11:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Withnail
Excellent result and an extremely encouraging start to the season - especially given the delay and players having to isolate.

Undefeated, 4 points on the board and no goals conceded - despite playing one of the fancied teams in their own backyard.

Moan all you want about Hurst setting up defensively but if the opposition don't score, you don't lose.

Very early days admittedly but confidence will be growing and players will only get fitter and stronger as we're playing catch up with most of the other teams after an extended break.

UTM!

Aye

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 152
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:40pm
Vodka Drinker

I am currently out of the country with limited internet access.

Your posts are invaluable.

If I need to catch up on a Town match ‘x’ number of hours after the match, I can read your posts, digest them like a prune smoothie and understand that what actually happened is the exact opposite of what you have bashed out on your keyboard.

You are like Anton Diffring in ‘Escape To Victory’.

You can say what you want I was there watching with my two eyes, for 45 minutes we did jack excrement, but defend deep and hoof the ball aimlessly back to Stockport, boring negative football that was getting us knowhere and almost resulted in us being 2 nil down before the half time whistle.

2nd half like I've said we attacked Stockport from the kick off we pressed them high and they were nothing they were forced tro hoof the ball aimlessly onto Pearson, Waterfall and Lounge-Kings heads which we should be forcing teams to do all day.

I know which football worked better, I know which football wasn't working. I know which of the two styles I'd rather watch.

I'm not a negative person I'm a realist I'll be positive when theres something to be positive about (which I have been about the 2nd half), but the happy clapper on here think we can only say positive things about everything Hurst and what the club does (no matter how bad it might be). I'm sorry the 1st 45 minutes were like watching Holloways team last season which made us all want to watch paint dry instead so I said it. I had paid to watch Grimsby play football for 90 minutes not 45. You accept dross you get dross, we should be holding this team to higher standard then they were showing in that first half doesn't matter who you're playing Weymouth, Stockport, Man U it doesn't matter. We're in this excrement league because of happy clapper don't holding managers, players owners accountable for bad performances, decisions and actions they just pretend that Hurst farts rainbows and shits unicorns and can do no wrong instead.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 152
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 31, 2021, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,649
Gold Stars: 72
“ Lucky point. Probabaly even 2 piints dropped.”

Bit of a contradiction, we were lucky to get one point however we probably should have won presumably if we played better IYO?

You were there and I wasn’t so not arguing with your comments as I’ve not seen the game but your comments could be applied to many a match, did you see Wolves v Man Utd? Wolves could and probably should have been 3 or 4 up by the time United scored.

Don’t think some of our fans have given enough thought to the fact that we have a new team that is playing it’s second competitive match together on the back of 10 days isolation without training together and our two number nines returning after missing the majority of the pre-season. Hurst acknowledges in his pre match interview that it will probably be another month before we are really settled as a team and suggested during this period he would be trying different formations to see what suits this group of players.

Compared to last January and his return there are a number of similarities in that once he put his preferred group of players together it was really a month before the team started to deliver results and ultimately that cost us dearly. Thus 4 points out of 6 whilst still gelling and getting to know each other will do me just fine so even if your not PH’s biggest fan let’s cut him some slack especially in the first half of our second match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 152
sonofmadeleymariner
August 31, 2021, 11:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
“ Lucky point. Probabaly even 2 piints dropped.”

Sorry that bit is Dyslexia brain not typing everything in the thought process mixed with typing while walking to the train,. Should of been lucky point first half, probably dropped two second half

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 152
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 12:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Dee dot. Vehicle reversing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 152
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

Aye

Post of the week so far.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 152
16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread v Stockport

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.