Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

1878 vindicated?

This thread currently has 16,858 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
September 3, 2021, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from rancido

I seem to remember when Liverpool wanted to expand Anfield, they wanted to buy some surrounding houses and it cost them above their market value.

Lidl did this a few years ago on Cromwell Road and Marklew Avenue. They couldn't extend the store until they increased parking capacity but they couldn't increase parking capacity until they demolished a block of houses on Marklew Avenue.

One house was more stubborn than the others. Lidl paid for every single legal cost and they eventually settled for a very inflated price.

Our homes are our castles. If I want to move, it's only worth what someone wants to pay for it but if I don't want to move and a private individual or business wants it, then it's worth whatever I tell you it's worth.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
White_shorts
September 6, 2021, 5:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

How much do you think the land BP sits on is worth and how many houses do you think it could fit? Realistically, each house would probably fetch a maximum of £175k (but I'm no expert).

Looking at Google satellite images, I reckon you could fit 100 terraced houses on BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
White_shorts
September 6, 2021, 6:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from mimma

The original idea was to extend the Findus both sides, to the corners, but it never happened. When it was standing in the bottom tier there was what looked like an entrance, on the half way line, which was going to be the players tunnel, when the dressing rooms were going to be moved there.

Are you absolutely sure about that, Mimma? You're saying the club built 'half' a stand with the intention of extending it by purchasing and demolishing some houses on Imperial and Constitutional Avenues? What, the board were hoping to bully residents into selling up by erecting a monstrosity on their doorstep?

I agree about the players tunnel in the lower tier. I don't know why new changing rooms didn't happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
GrimPol
September 7, 2021, 2:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -655
Gold Stars: 69
Sooner or later the Main Stand will come up as an issue. Probably not in the NL but Teir 4 ?
Also, it may be that the insurance will tip the balance. Either way, something has to be done. Also if a preservation order is put onto it, then Blundell Park will have the oldest stand in the league, but not allowed to take it down or use it.

For the Anoraks, (pulled from official GTFC Tickets site)  The Pontoon all-seater 1995yr capacity =1,808
Youngs built 1980yr  capacity = 1,982 upper + 826 lower, Osmond built 1939yr capacity 1,884, Main built 1901yr capacity =1,884.         Total of 8,777 seated.
Another point is that the Premier League is seriously looking at, and the gov is bending, to bring back standing areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
GrimPol
September 7, 2021, 3:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -655
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from RobDef1

I'd say that's accurate. The whole Osmond was empty remember.

That's actually good attendance probably, 30 Barnet and 5,000 Mariners. Against Barnet, not exactly category 1 interest.
When playing Scunny, Lincoln, Barnsley of old the figures were distorted by high attendance by away fans.
If Town can build on what it has done, bearing in mind the reluctance of people to come due to covid, historically poor numbers for away fans in the NL, then 5K is very good indeed. Bordering on excellent actually.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
White_shorts
January 13, 2022, 3:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Parking at Lincoln isn't much better and they get 9000. Scunthorpe have a good size car park but it can take an hour or more to get out.

Is that really true, James? You're not exaggerating? That is worse than I imagined for a single exit car park and one of the reasons I think Freemo would be better than Grimsby West or Peaks Parkway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
rancido
January 13, 2022, 3:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from White_shorts

Is that really true, James? You're not exaggerating? That is worse than I imagined for a single exit car park and one of the reasons I think Freemo would be better than Grimsby West or Peaks Parkway.

Whilst I do prefer the Freeman Street option it's downside ,as opposed the the other sites you mention, is that it brings traffic into an area that is already busy on a Saturday due to the market.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
ska face
January 13, 2022, 3:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,559
Gold Stars: 839
Absolutely relentless this bloke. Drags up a 4-month old thread just to plug Freemo once again.

What’s the interest, White Shorts? How much do you stand to make (or lose?) off the back of a stadium being built at Freemo or not?
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
White_shorts
January 13, 2022, 3:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Short term BP is good enough to build fan base back up to 1980’s levels, but can we realistically rely on crowds of less than 8,000 fans.

But the future has to be a sustainable solution with a facility that can be used more than 23 days a year. For too long we have had no real investment in the stadium, once by an ex mayor of Grimsby in the 1930’s and the Findus stand in the 1980’s. All we have had is the odd job man doing the whitewash where needed since.

Great Coates was always a non starter due to the Sydney College estate, others were just pipe dreams, those on the bored of the club were unable to get any funding to implement building a new ground. Not a sod has been turned since the Findus stand was completed.

For the future, Freeman Street has to be considered, this needs the will of the fans, funding and regeneration money to get the spades to dig. I’m sure the new owners would be somewhat aware of this, and now have the acumen to see the project to fruition.

Otherwise, IMO, we are stuck with 6,000 home fans and forever in the lower reaches of the Football League.  

What is the Sydney College estate? I can't find any mention on the internet. It's a shame the old non-chairman wasn't aware of it after wasting so much time on Great Coates.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
rancido
January 13, 2022, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from White_shorts

What is the Sydney College estate? I can't find any mention on the internet. It's a shame the old non-chairman wasn't aware of it after wasting so much time on Great Coates.

The land is owned by Sutton Estates and there is no record that they actually agreed to sell the land at Great Coates, only consider it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.