Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 298 Guests

1878 vindicated?

This thread currently has 16,883 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
September 1, 2021, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
I don't know what Stockwood or Pettit are worth but I believe they are both a lot wealthier than Fenty.

As many teams are finding out, pumping money at it only gets you so far up the pyramid before you need a business plan or to take your funding up considerably. Look at Peterborough and Brentford. Yes they've both spent money but there is a method to their spending. You don't see either of them spending silly money for the level (£200k in our case) on a 31 year old defender that probably has no resale value.

I think we will look to build on the success of the youth team and sign some saleable assets which we can than reinvest into our squad once the shackles are off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 103
monkeyboy
September 2, 2021, 6:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There are around 15 houses behind the Main Stand. I have no idea what their market value would be but I doubt it’s less than £150,000 each and that’s before a compulsory purchase premium.

Never going to happen.

£150,000 Each?    i would half that to be fair. 80 grand a house is very realistic and that would be aproaching top end valuation i would have thought. but still £1.2 million just to get them and thats without demolition or building etc.  
By the time thats done you probably could have built half a brand new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 103
aldi_01
September 2, 2021, 6:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the key is to trust the new group.

People may point to Fenty achieving in his life and somehow, he did make himself a few Bob but on a success and money making level it is clear the the new owners have gained more than just cash and have been operating on levels Fenty can only dream of.

We have to trust them that they have a plan, they have ideas and won’t chase after a dream to simply massage their own egos or generate cash for them. Of course, should we to get a new stadium I’d imagine they would stand to make something from it but I think they’ve made it clear that enhancing their  lives isn’t really their motive for owning the club.

Pettit has been involved in significant development project and along with experience, he will have gained friends and knowledge. I’ve no doubt they will put this to good use. As we’ve already seen, the pair of them aren’t interested in being despot leaders who want to everything themselves, unlike the previous idiot.

Time will tell but for now I’m enjoying the transparency and honesty without it being sickly or hyperbolic and on a personal level, I’m enjoying going back to footy, travelling to games and being involved in the way fans can be.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 103
DB
September 2, 2021, 6:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01
I think the key is to trust the new group.

People may point to Fenty achieving in his life and somehow, he did make himself a few Bob but on a success and money making level it is clear the the new owners have gained more than just cash and have been operating on levels Fenty can only dream of.

We have to trust them that they have a plan, they have ideas and won’t chase after a dream to simply massage their own egos or generate cash for them. Of course, should we to get a new stadium I’d imagine they would stand to make something from it but I think they’ve made it clear that enhancing their  lives isn’t really their motive for owning the club.

Pettit has been involved in significant development project and along with experience, he will have gained friends and knowledge. I’ve no doubt they will put this to good use. As we’ve already seen, the pair of them aren’t interested in being despot leaders who want to everything themselves, unlike the previous idiot.

Time will tell but for now I’m enjoying the transparency and honesty without it being sickly or hyperbolic and on a personal level, I’m enjoying going back to footy, travelling to games and being involved in the way fans can be.

I agree with you. We have to have faith and trust in their vision. They have done what they said they would do and, apart from the fixture changes for Stockport and Southend, we have little else to complain about. They are still learning but want the best for the club and community, not the best for them unlike the old regime.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 103
Simon
September 2, 2021, 7:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from aldi_01

Pettit has been involved in significant development project and along with experience, he will have gained friends and knowledge. I’ve no doubt they will put this to good use..

Just out of curiosity what developments has Petit been involved in?

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 103
wuffing
September 2, 2021, 8:50am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Simon

Just out of curiosity what developments has Petit been involved in?

He was part of a sausage development team which gained legendary status to the deepest-flung parts of Lincolnshire and beyond...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 103
diehardmariner
September 2, 2021, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
On the stadium point, I've always believed we needed to move.  

Blundell Park holds a romantic pull for many of us but it is, in all honesty, a shithole.  A crumbling shithole at that.  There's little scope for development, no scope for expansion (that I can imagine anyway), parking is a nightmare and, to my mind, is incredibly difficult to market it as a 365 day a year operation.

Even if we were to somehow develop the ground beyond belief, I still struggle to see how it could be marketed as a place where people would use other than the 23+ home games a season.  Unfortunately it's in an area of Cleethorpes that doesn't hold a great amount of appeal to the average person.  Would you book a conference there?  Or a wedding?  I've attended weddings and parties there before but largely it's because one of the hosting party is a Town fan.  

This may be the pure naivety of me but I thought the benefit of moving to a bespoke community ground was that it would have something to pull everyone in from all areas.  4G pitches, gym/leisure centre, community hub, conference facilities etc etc.  I completely accept that 1878 have a level of knowledge and experience that I can't even begin to dream of, just more thinking out loud as to how BP could ever be sustainable as our home in the medium-to-long term future.

I also wonder if they've set out this expectation that they'll look to see what they can do with BP to buy a little bit of time to get things moving for a new ground.   Smart move if so.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 103
grimps
September 2, 2021, 12:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There are around 15 houses behind the Main Stand. I have no idea what their market value would be but I doubt it’s less than £150,000 each and that’s before a compulsory purchase premium.

Never going to happen.

I doubt any of those houses are worth much more than £80000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
September 2, 2021, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Whatever the actual market value you can basically double it as the owners essentially have the club over the barrel if the intention was to buy up all the houses on the street. It also only takes one hold out to make the viability of the project collapse.

Not to mention  whether the club would even get planning consent for such a scheme?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 103
Gaffer58
September 2, 2021, 1:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
As the old saying goes, “Blundell Park may be a shithole, but it’s our shithole”. Seriously though I would love us to move into a new stadium, if you look at most clubs that have new stadiums their attendances usually increase hence their spending power increases,the exception being our “friends” down the A18.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.