Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 175 Guests

1878 vindicated?

This thread currently has 16,854 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
September 1, 2021, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,970
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from exiledmeggie

I don’t think a council owned stadium, such as fool city in Kingston is the way forward. The owners of Hull City are hindered in progress due to only appearing at the stadium, rather than benefiting for more than the 23 days they pay rent.

I would say that round where I live, FGR are about to move to another new stadium, in a facility that has other uses to provide an income for the football, but again no sod has been dug, nor does the intricacies of who actually now owns the club clear!

Town sold more season tickets than the full attendance at the last FGR match. I think the owner might want more supporters to fill his existing ground than want to move to a new one.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 103
buckstown
September 1, 2021, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Parking is a problem everywhere nowadays. I live on a 1960’s estate and everyone has 3 cars
I decided to go to Wycombe v Lincoln 2 weeks ago but couldn’t find a parking space anywhere within a mile of the ground so gave up and came home
Think clubs have to work with local authorities and sort effective public transport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 103
rancido
September 1, 2021, 2:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,525
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from buckstown
Parking is a problem everywhere nowadays. I live on a 1960’s estate and everyone has 3 cars
I decided to go to Wycombe v Lincoln 2 weeks ago but couldn’t find a parking space anywhere within a mile of the ground so gave up and came home
Think clubs have to work with local authorities and sort effective public transport

It's one thing having an effective public transport system to a football ground and another getting Joe Public to use it. BP is well served with buses from Grimsby and Cleethorpes Town centres but it will be hard convincing a lot of fans to use them.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 103
exiledmeggie
September 1, 2021, 2:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -221
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from DB

Town sold more season tickets than the full attendance at the last FGR match. I think the owner might want more supporters to fill his existing ground than want to move to a new one.

I have already commented on this fact in the season ticket thread! In fact, we get double what they get! But their owner has the impetus and funds to further the course, whether the locals agree with him, or not!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 103
RichMariner
September 1, 2021, 4:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Wild dream I know, but I always imagined a new stand being built behind the main stand, to rise above it - effectively making the main stand the lower tier, and a larger upper tier to mirror what's opposite.

Obviously the main stand is made of wood and needs restructuring, but it'd be ace to retain some sense of history and build around it. There aren't many houses behind the main stand to 'buy up'.

Please don't get on my case and say this is ridiculous. I know it is. We're all allowed an imagination though!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 54 - 103
GollyGTFC
September 1, 2021, 5:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,981
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from RichMariner
Wild dream I know, but I always imagined a new stand being built behind the main stand, to rise above it - effectively making the main stand the lower tier, and a larger upper tier to mirror what's opposite.

Obviously the main stand is made of wood and needs restructuring, but it'd be ace to retain some sense of history and build around it. There aren't many houses behind the main stand to 'buy up'.

Please don't get on my case and say this is ridiculous. I know it is. We're all allowed an imagination though!

There are around 15 houses behind the Main Stand. I have no idea what their market value would be but I doubt it’s less than £150,000 each and that’s before a compulsory purchase premium.

Never going to happen.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 103
DB
September 1, 2021, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie

I have already commented on this fact in the season ticket thread! In fact, we get double what they get! But their owner has the impetus and funds to further the course, whether the locals agree with him, or not!

Apologies my friend, just took the info from Saturdays result.

From what you are saying the owner is more of a dictator if he's not interested in the locals.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 103
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 5:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Apologies my friend, just took the info from Saturdays result.

From what you are saying the owner is more of a dictator if he's not interested in the locals.

A benign dictator maybe. And not in the sense of ‘benign loans’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 103
DB
September 1, 2021, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

A benign dictator maybe. And not in the sense of ‘benign loans’.

Very similar though!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 103
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 8:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Very similar though!

Both got bad dress sense I suppose. But one has a vision that doesn’t just involve his own enrichment. And on that front he was actually more successful than our one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.