Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 308 Guests

1878 vindicated?

This thread currently has 16,884 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
August 30, 2021, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Simple answer to the OP is “It’s too early to say”.

When Fenty was pursuing the Peaks Parkway dream, I kept asking what the business case was, what assumptions had been made about the receipts from developers, non-match day receipts, attendances etc and got point blank ignored by him. (And told by other posters that “it was too soon to say”). My back of a fa g packet calculations was that it was unaffordable. Clearly there was not a business case for it.

I’d expect 1878 to be open about this if they come forward with a scheme. I can’t see a real estate professional like Andrew Pettit pursuing anything that doesn’t stack up.

Completely this. I wasn’t close to every boring detail but in terms of “bums on seats” each week then currently we’d be miles off covering the cost, it would have been even worse under Fenty and the ministry of disengagement he ruled over. Yes the odd SME conference, wedding or car boot sale in the car park would have helped with other income.

The only way I could have or do see it happening is if AN Other foots a massive part of the cost.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 103
Fillipe Noche
August 30, 2021, 10:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Yes I agree in terms of current attendance figures. Blundell Park is more than adequate for our needs in terms of capacity.

Personally I also actually love BP. I love older grounds with character etc. But I also recognise that we will have to move on, and all of the financial benefits in doing so when it happens

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 103
toontown
August 30, 2021, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
If its unaffordable how come lots of other clubs,some smaller than us, have built new stadiums? Genuinely question. Presumably they must have faced the same questions about affordability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 103
HertsGTFC
August 30, 2021, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown
If its unaffordable how come lots of other clubs,some smaller than us, have built new stadiums? Genuinely question. Presumably they must have faced the same questions about affordability.

Probably because they inject more capital into the project at the start whether that’s from private, corporate or grant support funding.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 103
DB
August 30, 2021, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01

I was always under the impression the safety certificate thing was more balderdash from honest John used to build traction for wonderdome creation?

We can go around and around debating this forever. The new crew have made it clear they will explore every avenue and if they can make staying at BP worthwhile they will…I’m sure they won’t spunk the amount if cash honest John did chasing a pipe dream only he was obsessed about.

We don’t want some out of town stadium because they’re always ducking rubbish…either too big, intercourse all near them or just a excrement experience.

Over time I think we’ll see developments at BP which can only be a good thing.

This is the post I was refering to :-

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1622758626/highlight-safety+certificate/id-1482795#id1482795

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 103
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2021, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Probably because they inject more capital into the project at the start whether that’s from private, corporate or grant support funding.

With money either from the council (Doncaster), quasi council (Hull and Kingston Communications), or from valuable* residential quality land moving to less valuable urban waste land (Brentford).

* Blundell Park is not

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 103
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2021, 11:22pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Yes I agree in terms of current attendance figures. Blundell Park is more than adequate for our needs in terms of capacity.

Personally I also actually love BP. I love older grounds with character etc. But I also recognise that we will have to move on, and all of the financial benefits in doing so when it happens

We keep hearing about the apparent financial benefits of a new ground, but what exactly are they exactly, how much do you think they will bring in? It’s all theoretical.

If they existed, we would be on our way to having a new ground. Land was made available, with council support for the idea, but there was no developer willing to shell out enough money.

Or do you think Fenty was just sh¡t at exploiting the opportunity?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 103
jamesgtfc
August 30, 2021, 11:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from KingstonMariner

With money either from the council (Doncaster), quasi council (Hull and Kingston Communications), or from valuable* residential quality land moving to less valuable urban waste land (Brentford).

* Blundell Park is not

How much do you think the land BP sits on is worth and how many houses do you think it could fit? Realistically, each house would probably fetch a maximum of £175k (but I'm no expert).

The valuable land is Cheapside but we don't own that and any cash NELC had was invested in Iceland.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 103
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2021, 11:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

How much do you think the land BP sits on is worth and how many houses do you think it could fit? Realistically, each house would probably fetch a maximum of £175k (but I'm no expert).

The valuable land is Cheapside but we don't own that and any cash NELC had was invested in Iceland.

It’s a bit our if date now I suspect, but in the accounts BP was valued c £800k I think. Less than a million. Call it a million with recent rises in property values in Cleethorpes. Only another £21 million to find.

I think you’re right on the maximum price of a house there. Those ones built on the old Darley’s site didn’t shift for ages and I think went for less.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 103
arryarryarry
August 31, 2021, 12:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'll have to start buying my frozen chips from them and get their share price up.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.