Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 197 Guests

1878 vindicated?

This thread currently has 16,860 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim up north
August 29, 2021, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
A new stadium allows you to profit from having the capacity to safely accommodate 4000 away fans, something that would generate a large amount of cash should we aspire to League one and play a host of decent sized clubs. Look at what we took to Doncaster alone. Plus a decent stadium and surroundings would generate support in itself.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 103
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2021, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from lukeo

£12!!! Wtf. We pay £32 down south west!!!

To be fair, when I've paid the caretaker it's been £12 in summer and £24 in winter for the floodlights. Every hour it's potentially bringing in £36 or £72 but you've got costs to come out of that too. It would take a very long time to generate a payback.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 103
louth_in_the_south
August 29, 2021, 10:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Bash the main down and put a nice big terrace in its place now we’re allowed standing. No need for a new ground .

We’d be better off developing a training and community hub on the outskirts of GY that could be used by a wide range of people and needs to generate ££ . A mix of grass and 3G pitches for sports as well as a building with amenities for recreation and health / training etc would be the way forward.

I’ve been to Norwich City FC this weekend… google NCFC The Nest to see what I’m on about.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 103
Green27
August 29, 2021, 10:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Bash the main down and put a nice big terrace in its place now we’re allowed standing. No need for a new ground .

We’d be better off developing a training and community hub on the outskirts of GY that could be used by a wide range of people and needs to generate ££ . A mix of grass and 3G pitches for sports as well as a building with amenities for recreation and health / training etc would be the way forward.

I’ve been to Norwich City FC this weekend… google NCFC The Nest to see what I’m on about.

Agreed that could be the place that makes the money, there is no state of the art 4G pitch around here aside from Bradley so that would help. Good business facilities are always needed especially if the renewable economy continues to grow.

Always thought we should slowly buy up the houses behind the Main Stand then rotate the pitch 90 degrees using the Findus as an end stand.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 103
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2021, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Bash the main down and put a nice big terrace in its place now we’re allowed standing. No need for a new ground.

I would actually like to see remaining at BP proper consideration. Extend the Findus first to increase capacity before getting to work on the Main Stand and Osmond when that is complete. Your idea about the terracing is a no go though because teams that were in Division 1 in 1995 can't have standing. Absolute barmy rule but we can't build a new stand/ground with standing yet a team like Wrexham could.

Quoted from Green27
Always thought we should slowly buy up the houses behind the Main Stand then rotate the pitch 90 degrees using the Findus as an end stand.

Wasn't that the plan when the Findus was built? I always got told as a kid that the club started buying up Harrington Street and housed players there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 103
mimma
August 30, 2021, 1:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I would actually like to see remaining at BP proper consideration. Extend the Findus first to increase capacity before getting to work on the Main Stand and Osmond when that is complete. Your idea about the terracing is a no go though because teams that were in Division 1 in 1995 can't have standing. Absolute barmy rule but we can't build a new stand/ground with standing yet a team like Wrexham could.

Wasn't that the plan when the Findus was built? I always got told as a kid that the club started buying up Harrington Street and housed players there.

No! The original idea was to extend the Findus both sides, to the corners, but it never happened. When it was standing in the bottom tier there was what looked like an entrance, on the half way line, which was going to be the players tunnel, when the dressing rooms were going to be moved there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 103
DB
August 30, 2021, 6:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from mimma

No! The original idea was to extend the Findus both sides, to the corners, but it never happened. When it was standing in the bottom tier there was what looked like an entrance, on the half way line, which was going to be the players tunnel, when the dressing rooms were going to be moved there.

That's right, I remember reading this when the stand was being built. As for the main stand I seem to recall someone posted that it may become a safety issue soon for the club to get a safety certificate, due to it's construction.

I think it would be better if 1878 planned to replace it sooner rather than waiting until they have to.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 103
aldi_01
August 30, 2021, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DB

That's right, I remember reading this when the stand was being built. As for the main stand I seem to recall someone posted that it may become a safety issue soon for the club to get a safety certificate, due to it's construction.

I think it would be better if 1878 planned to replace it sooner rather than waiting until they have to.

I was always under the impression the safety certificate thing was more balderdash from honest John used to build traction for wonderdome creation?

We can go around and around debating this forever. The new crew have made it clear they will explore every avenue and if they can make staying at BP worthwhile they will…I’m sure they won’t spunk the amount if cash honest John did chasing a pipe dream only he was obsessed about.

We don’t want some out of town stadium because they’re always ducking rubbish…either too big, intercourse all near them or just a excrement experience.

Over time I think we’ll see developments at BP which can only be a good thing.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 103
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2021, 7:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Simple answer to the OP is “It’s too early to say”.

When Fenty was pursuing the Peaks Parkway dream, I kept asking what the business case was, what assumptions had been made about the receipts from developers, non-match day receipts, attendances etc and got point blank ignored by him. (And told by other posters that “it was too soon to say”). My back of a fa g packet calculations was that it was unaffordable. Clearly there was not a business case for it.

I’d expect 1878 to be open about this if they come forward with a scheme. I can’t see a real estate professional like Andrew Pettit pursuing anything that doesn’t stack up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 103
Oggyfish
August 30, 2021, 9:08am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +41
Personally the only way I can see us getting a new stadium is to be having some serious success on the pitch. To the point were home games are regularly sold out, which I feel is possibly a couple of divisions away. We need to be playing the bigger clubs. I think back to back promotion would help 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1878 vindicated?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.