Son of Cod
September 9, 2021, 10:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah
Not quite highlights but if you’ve always wanted to watch a Barnet fan and his gran go from a weirdly camp brand of ecstasy to literal tears as the nasty weferee spoils all their fun, then this is the video for you.

I found it weirdly compelling viewing in a cringey, tinpot kind of way.
https://youtu.be/2G9d6ay1phQ

I feel for them, but at that same time I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Mighty_Mariner
September 9, 2021, 10:41pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Poojah
Not quite highlights but if you’ve always wanted to watch a Barnet fan and his gran go from a weirdly camp brand of ecstasy to literal tears as the nasty weferee spoils all their fun, then this is the video for you.

They have THE worst terrace chants I’ve ever heard! 🤦‍♂️😂

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Neilo83
September 10, 2021, 7:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Poojah

Imagine going on an away day and the atmosphere in the away end being that excrement?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Kris2
September 10, 2021, 7:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Comedy hearing them blame everything but themselves for losing,  plus they called blundell park a shithole soooooooo

3-1 up and you fvcked it up 3-1 up and you fvcked it up...

Hahahahahaah

Tbh it kinda is a shithole, though I suppose if you compare it to some non league grounds where you stand in a ditch with a wall as a toilet in the away end it's not. The entrances on Harrington Street look like you're entering some sort of concentration camp. Apart from our shiny big stand built in the 80's the rest of the ground is old and rusty (or made of wood) with not so great facilities.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
quebec38
September 10, 2021, 7:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Always makes me cringe when I hear people talk of biased refs/refs taking bribes 😂

Not sure how he could be accused of being on Grimsby’s side when he almost lost the game giving in to Barnet’s silliness and time wasting when they had the lead. Let’s not forget the free kick they got for a ball in the groin either.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
Maringer
September 10, 2021, 9:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Kris2

Tbh it kinda is a shithole, though I suppose if you compare it to some non league grounds where you stand in a ditch with a wall as a toilet in the away end it's not. The entrances on Harrington Street look like you're entering some sort of concentration camp. Apart from our shiny big stand built in the 80's the rest of the ground is old and rusty (or made of wood) with not so great facilities.

Can you see the pitch? Are there enough toilets? That's pretty much all the facilities of a ground that I'm interested in!

Decent food and drink would be helpful as well, of course, but this is more interest at away grounds for me. I don't think I've ever had any decent food or drink at a football ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Kris2
September 10, 2021, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer

Can you see the pitch? Are there enough toilets? That's pretty much all the facilities of a ground that I'm interested in!

Decent food and drink would be helpful as well, of course, but this is more interest at away grounds for me. I don't think I've ever had any decent food or drink at a football ground.

Seeing the pitch depends where you're sitting, there are toilets technically but they don't seem to have updated some of them since the 1970's and they damn well smell like it. It being a shithole has little to do with being able to see the pitch, how many toilets it has or how good the food is and more to do with the rusty gates with barbed wire, rotting wooden walls and it being not particularly inviting. Also surrounded by some of the scummiest streets in Cleethorpes these days although it was a nice area when they built it.

Mind our fans regularly go to away days in nice places, to a much nicer modern ground than ours and call it a shithole so maybe there is nothing behind it other than away fans just say that.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
RichMariner
September 10, 2021, 9:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
There’s a lot to be said of our rusty charm.

I like my football grounds to be iconic. There’s nothing iconic about Shrewsbury or Colchester’s ground.

I understand the benefits of a new stadium and turning it into a community hub that can be used every day of the week. But I also think football has lost some of its soul in many clubs moving to new stadiums where the element of ‘home advantage’ has kind of drifted away.

A lot of these stadiums aren’t even in the town of the club they represent (and yes, I’m aware where BP is).

Maybe I’m an old romantic and still in love with all the things that makes BP different from every other club’s ground.

Perhaps it’s the out-dates view but I think that’s still worth something — just not in the format of cold hard cash, which seems to be the only language football talks in any more.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2021, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
There’s a lot to be said of our rusty charm.

I like my football grounds to be iconic. There’s nothing iconic about Shrewsbury or Colchester’s ground.

I understand the benefits of a new stadium and turning it into a community hub that can be used every day of the week. But I also think football has lost some of its soul in many clubs moving to new stadiums where the element of ‘home advantage’ has kind of drifted away.

A lot of these stadiums aren’t even in the town of the club they represent (and yes, I’m aware where BP is).

Maybe I’m an old romantic and still in love with all the things that makes BP different from every other club’s ground.

Perhaps it’s the out-dates view but I think that’s still worth something — just not in the format of cold hard cash, which seems to be the only language football talks in any more.

I sometimes wonder what people felt like when BP was first built. It was ‘out of town’ at the time. There was loads of land around. Bob Lincoln in his book talked about a proposal to lease enough ground for a cricket club, tennis courts etc. to turn it into a multi-sports ‘park’.

Was it souless in 1899?

OK it wasn’t miles out of town but people didn’t have cars then, though it was on the tram route between GY and Clps.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
DB
September 11, 2021, 5:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
There are other clubs that have stayed put and modernised their grounds. takes time and money and doesn't have to be done overnight.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BT Sport Highlights 5 Dover Athletic

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.