friskneymariner
August 3, 2021, 12:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from aldi_01

Wasn’t really the point; a speed camera (although the ones further up never worked) wasn’t necessarily the solution. Saw more accidents both bumps and serious caused by folk weaving in and out, over taking in dangerous places…this was a sodomist risk than someone doing 3/4 mph over the limit…

I don’t think anyone is moaning about speeding or speed cameras (we know they generate a lot of additional income) more the fact they’re not always in the best places…. I have known foll have their speeding ticket rescinded because of a lack of signage…

Speed cameras on motorways will forever be a hot topic…

When I used to travel daily from Spalding to Lincoln from 1999-2012,at the early part of the new millennium yearly deaths were running at well over 100+ yearly now they are between 40-50  that is 500 people alive who would not have been.Please do not tell planning a little extra time on your journey is not worth it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
Marinerdan
August 3, 2021, 2:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from friskneymariner

When I used to travel daily from Spalding to Lincoln from 1999-2012,at the early part of the new millennium yearly deaths were running at well over 100+ yearly now they are between 40-50  that is 500 people alive who would not have been.Please do not tell planning a little extra time on your journey is not worth it.

Car safety has improved dramatically in the same period, braking distance has improved, airbags, crumple zones, traction control, pre-sense. I’d have thought this had a much bigger impact on death reductions than the speed cameras.

My big issue with speed cameras are they don’t do anything about genuinely dangerous drivers, those without licences with stolen cars on cloned plates or HGV drivers catching up on box sets whilst driving at 56mph.  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
aldi_01
August 3, 2021, 3:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Marinerdan

Car safety has improved dramatically in the same period, braking distance has improved, airbags, crumple zones, traction control, pre-sense. I’d have thought this had a much bigger impact on death reductions than the speed cameras.

My big issue with speed cameras are they don’t do anything about genuinely dangerous drivers, those without licences with stolen cars on cloned plates or HGV drivers catching up on box sets whilst driving at 56mph.  

This is my issue, again, the point was missed. Speed cameras have a small impact but don’t stop dangerous driving. Thousands of miles of driving, ten years travelling the same stretches of roads and the accidents were almost all dangerous driver related. People on phones, people weaving, people tailgating, people not indicating and then just turning etc…speed cameras don’t stop this.

Having attended several speed reduction seminars the bigger worry for me was the amount of folk who struggled to see hazards or simply couldn’t understand the implications of driving well over the limit etc…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
TownSNAFU5
August 3, 2021, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Within speed limit fine.  Above speed limit also fine.

Apart from the first transgression where you can go on a speed awareness course.  I actually found my course useful.  If you don’t see the police speed camera, will you see say a little girl about to step off the payment?

If someone drives far too close behind you, many people might touch the brakes as a warning.  The recommended action is to drop back and leave more braking distance and time.

Agree that car brakes are now much better for stopping quicker.  Also, so called joy riders don’t get picked up by police speed cameras.  Just solid citizens speeding marginally.  Although everyone on the course admitted that they had been speeding before getting caught.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
ska face
August 3, 2021, 3:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,360
Gold Stars: 824
3 pages on speed cameras and car safety.

Might send this thread to the club to demonstrate how desperate the fans are for a signing or two.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Gaffer58
August 3, 2021, 3:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
I have to laugh ( probably the wrong expression) when there is a 50 mph speed limit on a country A road, but all the little lanes off it are back to the National speed limit for a single lane road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
marinerdazza
August 3, 2021, 5:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
That stretch of the M180 between Barnetby and Brigg has been well known as a speed trap “blind spot” for years. Consequently people drive like dicks on it. Surprised it’s taken Humberside Police so long. Expect some eye watering speed stories in the next few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
jamesgtfc
August 3, 2021, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
I've been on the 180 a fair bit the last few weeks. They seem to be parked up early evening and Saturday lunchtime.

It's quite funny seeing the panic set in as people fly past and see it at last minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
GollyGTFC
August 3, 2021, 6:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from marinerdazza
That stretch of the M180 between Barnetby and Brigg has been well known as a speed trap “blind spot” for years. Consequently people drive like dicks on it. Surprised it’s taken Humberside Police so long. Expect some eye watering speed stories in the next few months.

Wasn’t that where Fenty got caught doing 93mph back in 2005?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 37
jamesgtfc
August 3, 2021, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Wasn’t that where Fenty got caught doing 93mph back in 2005?

Do they let you drive home after you've been banned? Asking for a friend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.