2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
joe56
August 2, 2021, 8:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Well done to Beth, daughter of Jim Dobbin, for qualifying for the Olympic 200m semi-finals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
August 2, 2021, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Yes.   A consistent performer on the world stage.   Well done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Theimperialcoroner
August 2, 2021, 10:58am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Put it in the corner Beth….. Oh wait….

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
cmackenzie4
August 2, 2021, 11:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Outstanding achievement

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Poojah
August 2, 2021, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quite the journey she's been on too, remarkable story:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-olympic-runner-beth-dobbin-21139174

Lovely bloke Jim Dobbin. Had the pleasure of playing alongside him a number of times, and there's nothing like playing with an ex-pro to make you realise just how terrible you are at football.

It's quite easy to watch games, particularly at League Two / non-league level and think to yourself, "Christ, I wasn't far off that standard", when you were in fact a gazillion miles off that standard. Jim was obviously much better than League Two in his pomp, but it's quite illuminating just how big the gap is between elite players and Sunday league cloggers like me. The technique, the timing, the pace, the vision - absolutely everything just light years ahead, but you almost need to experience it to fully appreciate it.

That's one thing I like about athletics. It's much easier to benchmark just how mindbogglingly far ahead of us mere mortals these athletes are. Case in point - Beth's qualifying time in her 200m heat was 22.78s. That's an average speed of a fraction over 31.3 km/h (notwithstanding the fact she's got to get out of the blocks in that time as well). That's just fúcking mental. If you need a reference point, get yourself on a treadmill and see how far you can crank it up before you fall off the bloody thing, let alone think about maintaining the speed without your lungs exploding. My treadmill only goes up to 20 km/h, and I've never even been close to that for even a few seconds. I don't think my legs go that fast and I have little interest in attempting to find out.

Fingers crossed she can make the final and go on to win a medal, but even getting this far shouldn't be underestimated - it's an absolutely phenomenal achievement.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2021, 12:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
In other news about the offspring of 1990s Town midfielders: Tommy Widdrington’s son Kai is one of the pro dancers in the next series of Strictly having been on the Irish equivalent.

Try to contain your excitement chaps.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Poojah
August 2, 2021, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,426
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from KingstonMariner
In other news about the offspring of 1990s Town midfielders: Tommy Widdrington’s son Kai is one of the pro dancers in the next series of Strictly having been on the Irish equivalent.

Try to contain your excitement chaps.

That's a big step up for the lad. I think it's fair to say that the Irish version was a little more low rent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwc5Ti3py8

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2021, 12:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah

That's a big step up for the lad. I think it's fair to say that the Irish version was a little more low rent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwc5Ti3py8

😂

You think that’s bad. I saw the Finnish version the other year and one of the pros had a bit of a gut on him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Theimperialcoroner
August 2, 2021, 4:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Poojah

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-olympic-runner-beth-dobbin-21139174

Lovely bloke Jim Dobbin. Had the pleasure of playing alongside him a number of times, and there's nothing like playing with an ex-pro to make you realise just how terrible you are at football.

It's quite easy to watch games, particularly at League Two / non-league level and think to yourself, "Christ, I wasn't far off that standard", when you were in fact a gazillion miles off that standard. Jim was obviously much better than League Two in his pomp, but it's quite illuminating just how big the gap is between elite players and Sunday league cloggers like me. The technique, the timing, the pace, the vision - absolutely everything just light years ahead, but you almost need to experience it to fully appreciate it.

That's one thing I like about athletics. It's much easier to benchmark just how mindbogglingly far ahead of us mere mortals these athletes are. Case in point - Beth's qualifying time in her 200m heat was 22.78s. That's an average speed of a fraction over 31.3 km/h (notwithstanding the fact she's got to get out of the blocks in that time as well). That's just fúcking mental. If you need a reference point, get yourself on a treadmill and see how far you can crank it up before you fall off the bloody thing, let alone think about maintaining the speed without your lungs exploding. My treadmill only goes up to 20 km/h, and I've never even been close to that for even a few seconds. I don't think my legs go that fast and I have little interest in attempting to find out.

Fingers crossed she can make the final and go on to win a medal, but even getting this far shouldn't be underestimated - it's an absolutely phenomenal achievement.

I’m not sure that applies to all ex pros. I played against Mick Czucman and he was no better than anyone on the pitch. I’ve reffed a lot of ex pros in semi pro levels, Joachim talked a good game for example but again was not that great. Gary Croft though was outstanding.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 2, 2021, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,195
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I’m not sure that applies to all ex pros. I played against Mick Czucman and he was no better than anyone on the pitch. I’ve reffed a lot of ex pros in semi pro levels, Joachim talked a good game for example but again was not that great. Gary Croft though was outstanding.

I played against European Cup winner John Robertson in a Sunday League game and he was sh*t.

I also played at University against one of the Baird brothers (I forget which one but they were both at Leeds for a while) and he made me look like a mug. I got him 'trapped' on the bye line and he nutmegged me and then flopped over my outstretched leg for a penalty. Which he scored.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
bobbyturtle
August 2, 2021, 8:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
I believe there was a discovery of a vault under the Dublin library. They found a book entitled. Irsh dancing, what to do with your arms.

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
barralad
August 3, 2021, 7:51pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I played with Mike Czuczman for Submarine in the early 80s. He didn't run about much but his range of passing, the ability to hit a ball and his all round awareness separated him from anyone else in our league, never mind our team.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
Spidey
August 3, 2021, 8:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Poojah

Gold star from me, nearly dropped my fried egg and bacon sandwich reading that informative running stat!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Meza
August 3, 2021, 8:37pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Played against Mike brolly and Tommy Watson who played for bridge.  I was a winger and end up nutmegging brolly.  His reply was a hard Grimsby Town tackle I think I embarrassed him haha.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Gilbertswand
August 3, 2021, 9:00pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +177
Gold Stars: 20
I played with Tommy Watson for Clee working mens for a few games and he was ok but nothing special. I went on a coaching course with Mick Brolly and one of the drills was a 40 yard pass.. I was only about 17 and a donkey centre half and it was totally embarrassing...his weight and accuracy of pass was unbelievable. Passes just gently landed on your kicking foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
RichMariner
August 3, 2021, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I played in one of those Chairman Challenge matches about 14-15 years ago, started at right-back marking Alan Buckley. He hugged the left touchline. First touch was always immaculate. Barely ran (to be fair, think he was comfortably in his 50s at the time).

Decided to move to centre back towards half time, swapped with someone more attack-minded than me. Was up against Woodsie. Couldn't for the life of me anticipate how he was going to turn. His balance made him hard to read.

I remember thinking Stuart Watkiss was much faster than I ever thought he would be (I'm no slouch and he probably had the edge on me) and when shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, Dave Moore gave me the hardest shove I've ever received in any sort of match.

I didn't achieve much in that game, other than successfully playing the offside trap against Woodsie twice!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beth Dobbin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.