4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
August 1, 2021, 2:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I haven’t really paid much attention to the rest of the division since our relegation, concentrating on who we sign. But had a look through other teams and forums today and the standard seems to be much higher than last time we were down here. Notts county, Stockport and Wrexham all throwing money at it, and Chesterfield also look to have a strong team. With that in mind, how do people think we’ll do and who do you think will win the league?

I know it’s hard to predict until we sign another striker, but at the minute I think 5th to 7th is what we’ll be looking at, but I think it’ll be a close season with no runaway leader. Sign a notable striker and we could be looking at higher, but with the lights of Madden, Quigley, Mullin down here, we’ll need a good one.

For top spot, I’ve got a feeling Chesterfield will do it, they look to have a lot of strength in depth in attacking areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
August 1, 2021, 4:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
Chesterfield that have Stefan Payne? Not for me

Stockport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
DB
August 1, 2021, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Positive and optimistic there is only going to be one team at the top for me, TOWN.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Poojah
August 1, 2021, 5:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Stockport to win the league with Town going up as play-off winners. I’ve got a feeling we’ll start really well before form drops off through the winter with pressure mounting on Hurst, only to turn things around come the end of the season.

The play-offs will be something else I reckon. I can’t see us finishing higher than 6th or 7th, so that will mean winning 3 games on the trot away from BP.

The first one will go to the wire with Town levelling with a late, late equaliser before going on to nick a win in the depth of extra time.

I don’t know why, but I’ve got this weird feeling we’ll play Wrexham next and we’ll beat them in the most astonishing way possible. It will be 4-3, or maybe even 5-4 to Town with a sense of irony about Town’s winner in the last minute of extra time.

We’ll then continue that trend of late extra time wins in the final, although I think we’ll need to add to our current squad to pull that off. There’s a lad at Woking who I think would complement our team well, we should probably look at him.

Anyway, winning promotion in such a crazy and exhilarating way will almost certainly lead to a surge in demand for season tickets and new shirts. I hope the club has the foresight to invest in extra stock because we’ll only have the likes of Golly on here moaning insufferably if they don’t.

Anyway, that’s just my gut feel. Probably won’t happen.

As an aside, Wednesday night’s lottery numbers will be 3, 16, 27, 34, 36 and 46. Make sure to get your ticket, wouldn’t want you looking back on this hot tip with regret.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
marinerdazza
August 1, 2021, 5:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Yeah, it’s got “transitional season” written all over it for us. But in tiny writing so that it fits.

Stockport or Torquay for me. Top half for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
HertsGTFC
August 1, 2021, 5:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I think if you use the analogy “forming - storming - morning - performing” we’re just forming.

I expect a few disappointments in terms of results for a while as well as some good performances and the odd edgy 1 - 0 Hurst style win while we get to grips with the NL and the stuff that comes with it. If that’s good enough to get us a play off spot then I’d be pretty happy with that all things considered.

I reckon it might take 2/3 seasons for us to get promotion whilst the improved infrastructure kicks in and the squad stabilises.

What I do sense is that even at this early stage PH has more positivity and support from the owners than when he took us up, the squad still needs loads of work but that will happen I’m sure.

“Us fans” also play a role and that’s to manage our expectations and support the team even if things don’t go as we’d expect. That might be hard at times but I believe they all the stake holders in the club being on the same page is the only way we’ll get back and stay there.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
Abdul19
August 1, 2021, 5:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
7th minimum for us, Stocky to win.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
Les Brechin
August 1, 2021, 6:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
There's usually one unfancied team that are up there each season.

I wonder what odds Sutton were to win the league at the start of last season.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
buckstown
August 1, 2021, 6:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
I think the play offs has to be our minimum target. We've done a lot of business early and had a well planned pre-season
Think Wrexham will be close along with Stockport, and Torquay have a man with a good pedigree in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
marinerjase
August 1, 2021, 6:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
We have to be getting to play offs as a minimum for me. Impossible to predict in all honesty, too many variables..but going on ‘paper’ you’d have to say Stockport, Notts C will be there or thereabouts. Don’t fancy Wrexham to go up myself, nor Torquay.

I wouldn’t be having a wager on it that’s for sure..going to be an interesting season though I reckon. One way or another

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.