This thread currently has 7,158 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 30, 2021, 9:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

He doesn't seem to be having much luck with injuries these days does he, looks like he could be out for a while.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ruston AT
July 30, 2021, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

He doesn't seem to be having much luck with injuries these days does he, looks like he could be out for a while.

Time to move him on, are we continuing with him for monetary reasons?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
fishboyUTM
July 30, 2021, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Ruston AT

Time to move him on, are we continuing with him for monetary reasons?

I think so, he's shown flashes of quality but his body let him down pretty much all season last year. He'd had injury problems before joining us and I'm sure that will continue I'm afraid. He'll be a big earner, wrong side of 30. Not good, but if there isn't value in paying him up then keep him around but expect him to be less than match fit or on the treatment table until his contract expires. Hope I'm wrong as it isn't the lads fault and I feel for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
immariner
July 31, 2021, 12:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I think so, he's shown flashes of quality but his body let him down pretty much all season last year. He'd had injury problems before joining us and I'm sure that will continue I'm afraid. He'll be a big earner, wrong side of 30. Not good, but if there isn't value in paying him up then keep him around but expect him to be less than match fit or on the treatment table until his contract expires. Hope I'm wrong as it isn't the lads fault and I feel for him.

Be interested to know what our highest earners will be on. Imagine Scannell is on about £50k.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
LH
July 31, 2021, 12:15am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
The top earner is on over £100kpa. Scannell will be closer to that than £50k you’d think. Potentially one of the best players in the division but fitness is always going to be an issue.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
livosnose
July 31, 2021, 6:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
I read that he’s on 600 per week .

[img][/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
DB
July 31, 2021, 6:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from LH
The top earner is on over £100kpa. Scannell will be closer to that than £50k you’d think. Potentially one of the best players in the division but fitness is always going to be an issue.

He gets paid to use that potential but unfortunately, I didn't see much of it last season and, following last night, we might not see him on the pitch for a few weeks.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Abdul19
July 31, 2021, 7:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,546
Gold Stars: 215
Incredible that Fenty wouldn't give Vernam another year at £x but 2 months later gives Scannell 2 years at probably £x + a bit.*

*complete guess

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
fishboyUTM
July 31, 2021, 7:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Abdul19
Incredible that Fenty wouldn't give Vernam another year at £x but 2 months later gives Scannell 2 years at probably £x + a bit.*

*complete guess

That's why we're away at some club I've forgotten the name of in the first game of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
golfer
July 31, 2021, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from livosnose
I read that he’s on 600 per week .

Doubt if any of our players only get that - my grandkids get more in pocket money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
somersetmariner
July 31, 2021, 8:02am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
I don’t know why we have these kind of players in our squad. Wrong side of 30 and injury prone. Not worth it. Should never have given him a long contract.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
jamesgtfc
July 31, 2021, 8:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,945
Gold Stars: 190
I'm starting to wonder if we signed him without a medical or Runaway ignored any warnings from the medical so we can't get rid of him because he won't pass a medical anywhere and nobody will pay him whatever we are paying him.

I remember when we released Pearson to replace him with Nathan Clarke. We let Vernam leave for free due to budget cuts and replaced him with a man constructed of glass who is probably earning more than Vernam was!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
aldi_01
July 31, 2021, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think Scannell is a great example of the state of the club prior to this season…

There’s no way in gods green earth Scannell secures a contract like his anywhere else with his injury problems.

Couple that with intercourse all to suggests he’s what we need and it’s a hangover from a failed regime and flipping moron manager…

Injuries or not, I can’t be the only one that looks at Scannell and thinks ‘you may be decent but you don’t seem arsed either’…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
LondonMariner43
July 31, 2021, 10:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Not too worried about Scannell but I am worried about Hurst saying there are 8-9 injuries.  Hopefully they are mostly minor knocks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Swansea_Mariner
July 31, 2021, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
It's not just the injuries with him either, he started last season out of favour for other reasons that Holloway wouldn't talk about, that suggests an attitude problem too. I'd love to see him play to close to his ability levels but unfortunately I don't reckon I will get to.

Like most I was surprised Hurst didn't bin him off with the others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
jamesgtfc
July 31, 2021, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's not just the injuries with him either, he started last season out of favour for other reasons that Holloway wouldn't talk about, that suggests an attitude problem too. I'd love to see him play to close to his ability levels but unfortunately I don't reckon I will get to.

Like most I was surprised Hurst didn't bin him off with the others.

I might be wrong but I think Runaway eventually said that fall out was because he wasn't entirely truthful about carrying an injury.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Bigdog
July 31, 2021, 11:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Well we've found our current fall guy haven't we? From memory, Scannell looked quality in his first few games for us before getting injured. You all say in Hurst we trust, yet you don't trust him with Scannell. Scannell looked extremely fit in the pre-season training videos, and anyone can tell you that has played league seasons of 46 games, injured players work harder than those that stay fit, they have to to get back to being match ready. Some players are lucky throughout their careers with injuries and some aren't. If Scannell was one of the lucky ones, he wouldn't be here, he'd be playing at a higher level. I may be in the minority, but I feel for the bloke, and people who casually want him "binned off" are showing him a great deal of disrespect on a human and professional level..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
pontoonlew
July 31, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,986
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Bigdog
Well we've found our current fall guy haven't we? From memory, Scannell looked quality in his first few games for us before getting injured. You all say in Hurst we trust, yet you don't trust him with Scannell. Scannell looked extremely fit in the pre-season training videos, and anyone can tell you that has played league seasons of 46 games, injured players work harder than those that stay fit, they have to to get back to being match ready. Some players are lucky throughout their careers with injuries and some aren't. If Scannell was one of the lucky ones, he wouldn't be here, he'd be playing at a higher level. I may be in the minority, but I feel for the bloke, and people who casually want him "binned off" are showing him a great deal of disrespect on a human and professional level..

Spot on, fans like to slate Scannells performances despite the fact he only played 11 times last season and put in a decent performance in almost all of them. A couple of them he was our stand out player, especially in his last start at home to Exeter.

A fit Sean Scannell would tear up this league and I think it’s a risk worth taking to keep him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 31, 2021, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t know all the causes but the injuries last night might be a wake up for the management about footwear on artificial pitches and the need to play stand up football.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
HertsGTFC
July 31, 2021, 12:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LH

How do you know for sure what the salaries are?

One thing to point out is I’m sure he doesn’t get injured on purpose and he’ll be more frustrated and disappointed than anyone who can post on here.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 31, 2021, 1:51pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 117
Hurst, in his post match interview said that Scannell heard something 'pop'. By the looks of the photo of him being carried off by our 'B team' medical team, if his achilles has gone, he could be out for the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
moosey_club
July 31, 2021, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
"Scans" is probably the most appropriate player nickname we have had for a long time.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 31, 2021, 7:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from moosey_club
"Scans" is probably the most appropriate player nickname we have had for a long time.

That's true
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2021, 10:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t know what the problem is for Scannell but the sheer number of injuries is worrisome. We now have the medical/training/physio/fitness team the Hurst wanted. We have much better facilities too. I am a great fan of Dave Moore as well. But to get so many injuries especially in training (Scannell’s latest excepted) and easy friendlies is a cause for concern surely. Have they got these personal fitness programmes right?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2021, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
I don’t know what the problem is for Scannell but the sheer number of injuries is worrisome. We now have the medical/training/physio/fitness team the Hurst wanted. We have much better facilities too. I am a great fan of Dave Moore as well. But to get so many injuries especially in training (Scannell’s latest excepted) and easy friendlies is a cause for concern surely. Have they got these personal fitness programmes right?

Scannell came with a track record of getting injured putting his boots on.

I know he's been cast to one side but George Williams came here on the back of troublesome injuries and we've probably only been able to sign Ben Fox due to his recent injury. Max Wright has had a tough time with injuries since he did a full season for Boston.

It's possible that LJL has overdone the weights as he looked absolutely ripped and Taylor has a recurrence of a previous hamstring injury.

Some players are more prone than others and some long-term injuries are just freak occurrences. It's not really a surprise that Scannell is injured again but Wright still seems to be fit, Fox is fit.

I would be more concerned if people like Clifton and Coke were going down with bad injuries rather than those that you half expect to get injured.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
denni266
August 1, 2021, 6:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Cant see why clubs take these chances with injury prone players .. Wouldnt buy a car that was alwase needing fixing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
arryarryarry
August 1, 2021, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Scannell came with a track record of getting injured putting his boots on.

I know he's been cast to one side but George Williams came here on the back of troublesome injuries and we've probably only been able to sign Ben Fox due to his recent injury. Max Wright has had a tough time with injuries since he did a full season for Boston.

It's possible that LJL has overdone the weights as he looked absolutely ripped and Taylor has a recurrence of a previous hamstring injury.

Some players are more prone than others and some long-term injuries are just freak occurrences. It's not really a surprise that Scannell is injured again but Wright still seems to be fit, Fox is fit.

I would be more concerned if people like Clifton and Coke were going down with bad injuries rather than those that you half expect to get injured.

I think it is to be expected to have players injured when we keep signing players that have had significant time out with bad injuries.

As for Coke I would expect him to spend a significant time on the table as he has only played 50 games in the last 8 seasons.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
buckstown
August 1, 2021, 6:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from denni266
Cant see why clubs take these chances with injury prone players .. Wouldnt buy a car that was alwase needing fixing

Think that's a really good point but like dodgy cars they're cheaper than normal. Gives teams like us a chance to take a shot on real quality (hopefully Fox) or just save money which the previous regime was rather keen on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Hagrid
August 1, 2021, 7:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think it is to be expected to have players injured when we keep signing players that have had significant time out with bad injuries.

As for Coke I would expect him to spend a significant time on the table as he has only played 50 games in the last 8 seasons.

I hope not. Think he’s vital for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Kris2
August 1, 2021, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from denni266

Some players are able to come back from bad injuries and have a decent career. Most of the time clubs are probably hoping they can get enough games out of them to get some value on their quality before they break down again, like these people who buy classic cars that need fixing up to say they have it even if they end up spending more time working on it than driving it.

We took a chance on Michael Reddy who we never would have had a chance of signing if he didn't suffer so many injury setbacks. He was valued at 5 million just 3 years before we signed him for free. We got one good season out of him which nearly won us automatic promotion, was probably bad luck with the injury that ended his career and a freak accident taking him off in the playoff final that killed it for us. If he'd remained fit to the end we probably would have managed promotion. It might only pay off 1 in 10 times but teams will always take a chance on quality and experience if they have a chance to sign it because of injury issues. I guess Danny Andrew is one of our more recent success stories with taking a chance on a player that had been struggling with injury issues, he's now back with Fleetwood who released him because of injury issues.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2021, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from denni266

Using your logic, players should retire once they have a major injury. You wouldn't fill your squad with them but with advances in medicine, full recoveries are a lot more common.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
louth_in_the_south
August 3, 2021, 5:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Is there any news on his injury yet ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scannell injury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.