3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
July 30, 2021, 12:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Has this lad made a first team appearance? or made the squad?

Excellent stuff again from our youth set up - just sometimes wish we could get to see some of this talent play

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Heswall Mariner
July 30, 2021, 1:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It looks like we will get a paltry £60k with fixed fees as he makes appearances.

[url]https://jobs4football.com/how-does-the-eppp-category-system-work/[/url]

Had a look at this James - how did you come up with 60k?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 30, 2021, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Had a look at this James - how did you come up with 60k?

Looks like I missed a year out of my calculations and it's £71.5k but that's still peanuts.

In the academy at the age of 9, 10 & 11 - 3x £3k = £9k
In our category 3 academy at the age of 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 - 5x £12.5k = £62.5k

If we've managed to get more than £70k up front for him then fair play to the board and Leicester City. It absolutely stinks that they can have a kid we've spent 8 years training for £70k and we can't do anything to stop it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
diehardmariner
July 30, 2021, 2:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I think because there was more than one interested party, it basically kicks in as a normal transfer rather than EPPP, i.e it became/becomes a bidding war.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 30, 2021, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think because there was more than one interested party, it basically kicks in as a normal transfer rather than EPPP, i.e it became/becomes a bidding war.

Reading the article on the OS, it implies that it was down to Ben to decide which club was best for him so I don't think it became a bidding war in terms of the transfer fee. Due to EPPP, whoever wants him only has to pay us £70k and then it's down to those interested clubs to convince him that they are the best destination.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
MarinerMal
July 30, 2021, 3:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It looks like we will get a paltry £60k with fixed fees as he makes appearances.

Edit: I missed a year off and it's actually £70k we are "entitled" to.

That EPPP system is a disgrace.

So if Grist was to be a success and go on and make 40 Premier League appearances and look the real deal, before being sold to someone like Man City for £50 million (hypothetical, I know)  Town would be due just £600,000?

Why are we apart of such a system? I assume we get some paltry hand me down form the EPL clubs?

It is interesting to note the the clubs who don't take part

Brentford - Just promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history
Huddersfield - Promoted the Premier League a couple of years ago for the first time
Wycombe - Promoted to the Championship for the first time in their history
Tranmere - National League to League One in successive seasons before being unluckily relegated to League Two because of a curtailed season.

It makes you wonder if there is more benefit not being part of such a system?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
jamesgtfc
July 30, 2021, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

That EPPP system is a disgrace.

So if Grist was to be a success and go on and make 40 Premier League appearances and look the real deal, before being sold to someone like Man City for £50 million (hypothetical, I know)  Town would be due just £600,000?

Why are we apart of such a system? I assume we get some paltry hand me down form the EPL clubs?

It is interesting to note the the clubs who don't take part

Brentford - Just promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history
Huddersfield - Promoted the Premier League a couple of years ago for the first time
Wycombe - Promoted to the Championship for the first time in their history
Tranmere - National League to League One in successive seasons before being unluckily relegated to League Two because of a curtailed season.

It makes you wonder if there is more benefit not being part of such a system?

Ben Grist is a really promising talent and he's potentially gone for £70k without playing a game having been coached by our academy staff for 8 years.

Mattie Pollock was coached elsewhere and joined us having been released from the academy system. After 3 years and a good number of games, we've just received £250k plus potential add ons.

Rumarn Burrell joined us as another player released from the academy system that we signed at 16. After 3 years and 4 cameos was sold for a rumoured £100k.

And then we have Ryan Bennett, released by Ipswich and joined us at 16. 100 games later we sold him for £500k and got another £500k when he was sold to Norwich.

In our first team squad we've currently got Evan Khouri, a player with a similar back story to Pollock, Burrell and Bennett. Easy to see why a few clubs are beginning to think an academy is a waste of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Lincspoacher
July 30, 2021, 4:44pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +274
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Edit: I missed a year off and it's actually £70k we are "entitled" to.

GTFC have received 200K so far but a multitude of add ons including playing for England etc in the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Heswall Mariner
July 30, 2021, 4:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Lincspoacher

GTFC have received 200K so far but a multitude of add ons including playing for England etc in the future

200k? Where did this come from Poacher?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
Tommy
July 30, 2021, 5:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

200k? Where did this come from Poacher?

Leicester City presumably. 😉

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ben Grist

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.