Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 171 Guests

The rumour...

This thread currently has 38,893 views. Print
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
August 2, 2021, 11:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
This is arguably the hardest season to find a striker as no leagues below national league played. So if you’re taking a chance on a Bogle type player, you’re doing so on his form well over a year ago. With that not an option, you’re left with a limited pool of players: established goal scorers in the national league (most who will attract football league offers), a punt on an U23 player, or resurrecting a football league strikers career ala Connell and amond.

Considering Tshimanga is the only national league striker I think we’d want now (Cheek maybe too old) and he’s wanted by football league teams, I think we’ll see one of the latter options. Realistically, we’re not going to be blown away, but hurst has always managed to find a high scoring striker while in the conference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 227
tashee69
August 2, 2021, 11:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +956
Gold Stars: 23
Cheek is only 29

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 227
Mariner93er
August 2, 2021, 12:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
He’s 30 this month, but are we realistically going to pay a transfer fee for someone heading into their 30s - I can’t see it myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 227
jamesgtfc
August 2, 2021, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,937
Gold Stars: 190
Cheek has pretty much got to the age of 30 without venturing further north than Essex and I doubt he's going to venture north to sign for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 227
petethemariner
August 2, 2021, 12:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think decent players in the lower divisions are open to dropping down a league or two if the financial package/ clubs ambition is attractive enough, Mullin had just dropped effectively two leagues from Cambridge to Wrexham and Quigley, whose goals kept Barrow up, has dropped a league to Stockport, we now have owners with ambition, so I would hope the days of looking in the bargain bucket are over
and if it means playing a large fee for a proven goalscorer we need to do it, this club cannot be allowed to wallow in non league for another 5 years and we are painfully aware  of how hard it is to get out of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 227
pontoonlew
August 2, 2021, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,980
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from ska face
Does it make it less true?

End of the day it’ll come down to who’s for the deepest pockets and which team is a decent option for a decent striker. Some years we’ve had the money and been challenging, other years we haven’t.

But it's put across as though fans are looking for strikers that score 25+ a season. Fans are realistic enough to know that we're not going to find somebody who has proven they can do that but over the course of the past few years we've used this excuse time and time again to justify not signing anybody even anywhere near capable of doing so.

Both last summer and in January we failed to get somebody who could outscore our 18-year-old centre back and that was somehow deemed as acceptable because 'nobody would want to come here'.

We've still got a couple of weeks to get somebody in and I'm hopeful we will, but it'd be nice to not just roll over and accept that we won't (or can't) get anybody.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 227
jamesgtfc
August 2, 2021, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,937
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

But it's put across as though fans are looking for strikers that score 25+ a season. Fans are realistic enough to know that we're not going to find somebody who has proven they can do that but over the course of the past few years we've used this excuse time and time again to justify not signing anybody even anywhere near capable of doing so.

Both last summer and in January we failed to get somebody who could outscore our 18-year-old centre back and that was somehow deemed as acceptable because 'nobody would want to come here'.

We've still got a couple of weeks to get somebody in and I'm hopeful we will, but it'd be nice to not just roll over and accept that we won't (or can't) get anybody.

The very valid point has been raised above that finding a Hearn or Bogle from the level below is virtually impossible given last season barely got off the ground and the season before finished almost 18 months ago.

I would argue that Mullin is a very big risk for Wrexham from a team spirit point of view. The problem we have is that we now need to get through this season with 2 of our strikers having not had a pre-season. For this reason I think that whoever comes in won't be a free agent. I think our number 9 will either be someone with a lot of interest like Tshimanga or an educated punt on loan from higher up the pyramid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 227
ska face
August 2, 2021, 2:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,610
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think you’re confusing what people say on here with the actions of Hurst and the board, or getting them backwards at any rate.

What people say on here is generally guesswork, at best, reacting to what we see at the club. It doesn’t inform or influence anything that Hurst does in the transfer market. So when people say that proven goal scorers don’t want to come here, they’re only reflecting what they’ve seen on the pitch recently.

Hurst and Doig have been pretty open this summer and in January saying that the club have been knocked back by players. January especially Hurst mentioned in a few interviews how forwards had decided they didn’t fancy a relegation battle or clubs didn’t want to let others out on loan for various reasons.

So if Hurst had come out at the start if the season saying nobody wants to come here & all the clubs want the same, then I’d probably be a bit more concerned. But it’s a bit off to basically pin what are effectively coping statements from fans after the fact on Hurst & suggest the club just rolls over.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 227
acko338
August 2, 2021, 2:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
The club seems to have sold itself well thus far through recommendations, including ex-players' testimonies.

If this can be continued to sell the club to a couple of forwards, then Hurst and Doig will have done their transfer work well.

The new regime have played a very significant part in making the club more attractive, so we can only hope that strikers of a good standard will take on the new benefits and facilities now on offer, even after a relegation season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 227
pontoonlew
August 2, 2021, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,980
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from ska face

Think you’re confusing what people say on here with the actions of Hurst and the board, or getting them backwards at any rate.

What people say on here is generally guesswork, at best, reacting to what we see at the club. It doesn’t inform or influence anything that Hurst does in the transfer market. So when people say that proven goal scorers don’t want to come here, they’re only reflecting what they’ve seen on the pitch recently.

Hurst and Doig have been pretty open this summer and in January saying that the club have been knocked back by players. January especially Hurst mentioned in a few interviews how forwards had decided they didn’t fancy a relegation battle or clubs didn’t want to let others out on loan for various reasons.

So if Hurst had come out at the start if the season saying nobody wants to come here & all the clubs want the same, then I’d probably be a bit more concerned. But it’s a bit off to basically pin what are effectively coping statements from fans after the fact on Hurst & suggest the club just rolls over.

I'm not suggesting the club rolls over, I'm suggesting that our fans roll over and accept it. If the club is rolling over then we've got a serious problem.

Of course players will be turning us down left right and centre but they'll be doing exactly the same to other clubs. It seems rather naive to me that whenever fans question why we haven't brought in a striker, the stock answer seems to be along the lines of 'they don't want to come here' or 'where are we going to find a 20+ goal striker from?' Seems a bit defeatist to me.

Having said all that I am approaching that 'slightly worried' stage, which usually means we'll sign a striker in the next 24 hours.

One more thing to point out, I feel like we'll be playing a 4-3-3 this season with a lone striker for the majority of the season, so maybe there's some truth in the thought process of Hurst looking to the wingers to share the load on the goalscoring front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 227
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.