Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 128 Guests

The rumour...

This thread currently has 38,897 views. Print
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 30, 2021, 1:28pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 117
Hurst could be very shrewd in his thought process. It may be better to get one or two strikers in on loan, so he can still run his eye over other players and their availability in January. By then, 1878 may have allowed him a bit more budget from any more income we may garner, in order to buy a player, possibly lower league, who is banging the goals in for their respective team for the first half of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 227
ginnywings
July 30, 2021, 4:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
When Lincoln won the National League, their top scorer was Fatty Matty Rhead with 15 goals. He only just made the top 10 in the scorers table. Ricky Miller scored 40 that season.

You don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer to win the league. You have a better chance IMO if you have several players chipping in around the team.

Having said that, I do think we will be bringing in a dedicated striker before too long. Current injuries to 2 of our strike force will only hasten the need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 227
pontoonlew
July 30, 2021, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Striker is the only area I’m concerned about at the minute, looking back at last January the failure to get a striker on board was the final nail in our coffin and I feel we’re probably 2 short as it stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 227
chaos33
July 30, 2021, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I agree

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 227
Tommy
July 30, 2021, 5:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings
When Lincoln won the National League, their top scorer was Fatty Matty Rhead with 15 goals. He only just made the top 10 in the scorers table. Ricky Miller scored 40 that season.

You don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer to win the league. You have a better chance IMO if you have several players chipping in around the team.

Having said that, I do think we will be bringing in a dedicated striker before too long. Current injuries to 2 of our strike force will only hasten the need.

I think the bit in bold is a key point.

Everyone would love a 30-goal a season man but it doesn't guarantee you anything.

As above, Lincoln went up with a top scorer on 15.
Whereas teams like Crawley and Fleetwood went up with prolific scorers like Tubbs and Vardy.
It can be done in different ways and there's more to it than just who's your main striker anyway, otherwise we might have bounced straight back up last time with Connell hitting 30-odd goals.

Agree with you though ginny, expecting to see a new striker arrive soon.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 227
LH
July 30, 2021, 6:17pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
We’ve just signed a keeper who has scored before (according to wiki). Hurst obviously reads this forum, has seen the concern and has addressed it.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 227
Maringer
July 30, 2021, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
A Martin Paterson type of up and coming youngster on loan might be worth a go? We're certainly covered in the 'experience' aspect up top, so a young tyro might be the good alternative option. Always a gamble with youngsters, of course, as many aren't ready in their teens or even early 20s,
whereas others can show their class at a lower level from a young age. I'd hope for somebody with some real pace as that's one thing non-league defenders really, really don't like. Or League defenders, for that matter!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 227
jamesgtfc
July 30, 2021, 11:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
A Martin Paterson type of up and coming youngster on loan might be worth a go? We're certainly covered in the 'experience' aspect up top, so a young tyro might be the good alternative option. Always a gamble with youngsters, of course, as many aren't ready in their teens or even early 20s,
whereas others can show their class at a lower level from a young age. I'd hope for somebody with some real pace as that's one thing non-league defenders really, really don't like. Or League defenders, for that matter!

I think any successful team needs both options. With LJL and Taylor touch and go for the opening day, I wonder if we will bring another big lad in on loan and someone with a bit of pace who can play on the shoulder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 227
davmariner
July 30, 2021, 11:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ginnywings

Podge and Omar Bogle would probably take issue with that.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 227
toontown
July 31, 2021, 12:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings

That's all very well if we have players chipping in with goals from all over but I'm not sure that's the case.

Clifton isn't a goal scorer as we know
Coke hasn't scored for years
Fox very rarely scores
Mcatee scored 1 league goal in 23 last season
Sousa doesn't appear to be an accomplished finisher (might be wrong on him)
Wright has managed 3 goals in his career with us so far
Grant scores a few but not many (maybe he can tuck away more at our level)
Pearson hasn't scored for the last 2 National league seasons
Longe-king hasn't scored many
Etc you get the picture. With neither the shop or Ryan Taylor being known for goal threat either then I think lack of goals does seem to be  a legitimate concern. Hopefully a high scoring striker is awaiting to be unveiled for the number 9 shirt as I think we need it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 227
23 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.