Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 352 Guests

The rumour...

This thread currently has 38,905 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
chipsandgravy
August 11, 2021, 12:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Heisenberg
Wow, this is depressing. I have never ever been this unenthusiastic about a season. People accepting we’re  not amongst the top runners. Another season in non league, and with a potentially average squad. No marquee signings, yet the others around us manage it.

Non league is beneath us. Whether that’s a sentiment from the past or not is irrelevant to me, I personally have no time for it. I have no intention of going to games this season. I hope I get dragged in by surprising results and an uplift in results, but it’s probably not happening.

I can’t help but think the unwanted players we have under contract will haunt us this season. Oh, and of course the players that we’ve signed who are too old and readying themselves for a season on the treatment table, a la Hanson.

If you don’t spend big you rot in this league.

Last season beat the fight out of me, and this pre season has not brought it back.

I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around another 6 years for success, no way, it’s embarrassing.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I hated non league first time round.
The only difference is that I will still support the team ( due in large to the new owners committment) and will be at Chesterfield on Saturday. Thick and thin and all that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 227
pen penfras
August 11, 2021, 12:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Maringer

How does that work, then? Don't the contracted players get paid?

It's pretty obvious that the money to cover their wages of all contracted players, whether wanted or not, will have been accounted for before the playing budget was put together so it's simply not possible it hasn't had an impact. I certainly wouldn't expect Hurst to say as much in an interview, however. It's just obvious.

Reasonable enough pre-season in terms of a couple of decent performances, despite playing with a bunch of kids up front much of the time. Would obviously have been better if most of our forwards weren't injured when these games were played, but hopefully there has been enough for other parts of the team to begin to gel.

Seems like it was a bluff from PH to get them to move. JS promised a bigger budget than last season, and I can't see that we've got that yet regardless. PH said that the budget wouldn't be affected by those that he wanted rid of, and that he wasn't bluffing about it and we'd see. Our business isn't finished, but it certainly doesn't seem to be what the early rhetoric was implying.

But none of this should be a surprise. They came in with a plan to build a new stadium that somebody else would pay for. We've been trying that for over 20 years and got nowhere with it. As soon as they bought the club, it got shelved and there was a statement about being sustainable. Not a criticism, that's exactly what I want. But you can't spend £200k on improvements, have a bigger budget than last season, have to pay the wages of players that PH has outcast and be sustainable. Throwing money will guarantee nothing and the team looks mostly decent.

The biggest problem for me is that if we don't do it this season with a parachute payment, bumper season ticket sales and the transfer income we've had, then it's only going to get harder next season onwards as the income will drop significantly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 227
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 11, 2021, 1:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from pen penfras

But none of this should be a surprise. They came in with a plan to build a new stadium that somebody else would pay for. We've been trying that for over 20 years and got nowhere with it. As soon as they bought the club, it got shelved and there was a statement about being sustainable. Not a criticism, that's exactly what I want. But you can't spend £200k on improvements, have a bigger budget than last season, have to pay the wages of players that PH has outcast and be sustainable. Throwing money will guarantee nothing and the team looks mostly decent.

The biggest problem for me is that if we don't do it this season with a parachute payment, bumper season ticket sales and the transfer income we've had, then it's only going to get harder next season onwards as the income will drop significantly.

I’d rather we spend £200k on improvements than £200k to a private pension/loan

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 227
Hants.Mariner
August 11, 2021, 1:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
I have a couple of thoughts here.

Firstly, though I am not saying he is the answer, Michael Cheek would certainly be a striker to consider. When the fixture list came out, maybe Bromley said they would not consider an approach until after the first game. So could it be that there will be discussions after then? Especially since it gives our manager the opportunity to see him in a competitive game environment.

Secondly with the leagues below curtailed last season there is no obvious high scoring striker to look at based on form last year. If someone in the league below (or indeed in our league) gets off to a flyer scoring goals at will, we will be in the best position to sign them up when others have spent their cash already.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 227
August 11, 2021, 2:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

Says the guy who openly boasts about watching our matches on pirate streams?

I'm afraid once again you are wrong.  I paid for and watched every single match last season, as well as donating £100 to the Youth Team development and £20 to sponsoring a player, so until you know the facts, shut your fecking mouth and go back to tossing yourself off in your little cot!

Reply: 204 - 227
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 123614

I'm afraid once again you are wrong.  I paid for and watched every single match last season, as well as donating £100 to the Youth Team development and £20 to sponsoring a player, so until you know the facts, shut your fecking mouth and go back to tossing yourself off in your little cot!

A lot of your posts seem unnecessarily aggressive. Are you okay?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 227
August 11, 2021, 2:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

A lot of your posts seem unnecessarily aggressive. Are you okay?

When someone lies about you in public, wouldn't you be a bit miffed?

Reply: 206 - 227
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 123614

When someone lies about you in public, wouldn't you be a bit miffed?

I don't think I'd tell them to "toss themselves off in a little cot" but to each their own.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 227
Abdul19
August 11, 2021, 2:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
What an odd choice of phrase.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 227
August 11, 2021, 2:33pm
Guest User
I was in  the Army 14 years, we come out with some odd stuff sometimes.
Reply: 209 - 227
23 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.