Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 149 Guests

The rumour...

This thread currently has 38,867 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 10, 2021, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,369
Gold Stars: 183
If this lad is generally based in the midlands or south east (time in Milton Keynes, Oxford and Boreham Wood would tend to indicate this is his sort of area), perhaps not too much of a surprise he'd want to play for a team closer to that neck of the woods. You could live in Nottingham which is a nice city and commute to Chesterfield very easily and still be relatively close to MK/London. A 3 year deal, reportedly, so that's some security as well. I wonder if we were only perhaps offering a couple of years initially (providing we were actually in for him). 3 years is bit of a gamble at this level. Let's hope it doesn't work out for them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 227
promotion plaice
August 10, 2021, 11:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,999
Gold Stars: 192

Location, location, location.

Probably a factor in Hurst losing out to other clubs on the striker front.

It's always held us back.

Move the training ground to the Sheffield area, job done.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 11:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,176
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Poojah

Results correlate with ticket sales? Honestly, and this is a genuine question - do I strike you as someone not bright enough to spot that correlation?

There are endless examples of clubs that have spent money they didn't have and / or couldn't sustain long-term who have suffered massively as a result. I just named four of them in my previous post, only Scunny of which still currently exist in their original or any form. Portsmouth were an established Premier League side who won the FA Cup in 2010, yet still found themselves in League Two a few years later having grossly overspent. Take a look at Gretna's glory days north of the border, and see what happened to them when their benefactor sadly died.

I agree, being well run is no guarantee of anything. Neither is spunking money on fast-depreciating players in some gambling addict-like pursuit of short-term success. But that doesn't mean there isn't value or success to be had in being properly run. Have a look at how Brentford, Rotherham, Lincoln, Wycombe, Accrington et al are doing compared to us. None of them, not even Lincoln, have relied on massive overspending to get where they are today. I'd add Peterborough to the list, but they did spend big in Darragh MacAnthony's early days - yet still their model was always centred on sustainability, as it is today.

It's easy to be 'ambitious' with someone else's money. Time will tell whether this is the right way, but personally I think it is.

Of course positive results increase ticket sales, don’t they? That’s the point I’m making. I find it difficult to believe the ‘feel good factor’ will remain if we don’t finish in the top half of the table next season and even that would make us reconsider four season tickets.

I’m not sure what point you’re making about someone else’s money. Fenty managed the club on ticket sales for most of his time in charge and I imagine 1878 will do the same.

I very much hope I’m wrong but this looks too familiar to me.
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 227
Heisenberg
August 10, 2021, 11:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,933
Gold Stars: 93
Wow, this is depressing. I have never ever been this unenthusiastic about a season. People accepting we’re  not amongst the top runners. Another season in non league, and with a potentially average squad. No marquee signings, yet the others around us manage it.

Non league is beneath us. Whether that’s a sentiment from the past or not is irrelevant to me, I personally have no time for it. I have no intention of going to games this season. I hope I get dragged in by surprising results and an uplift in results, but it’s probably not happening.

I can’t help but think the unwanted players we have under contract will haunt us this season. Oh, and of course the players that we’ve signed who are too old and readying themselves for a season on the treatment table, a la Hanson.

If you don’t spend big you rot in this league.

Last season beat the fight out of me, and this pre season has not brought it back.

I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around another 6 years for success, no way, it’s embarrassing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 11:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,176
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Heisenberg
Wow, this is depressing. I have never ever been this unenthusiastic about a season. People accepting we’re  not amongst the top runners. Another season in non league, and with a potentially average squad. No marquee signings, yet the others around us manage it.

Non league is beneath us. Whether that’s a sentiment from the past or not is irrelevant to me, I personally have no time for it. I have no intention of going to games this season. I hope I get dragged in by surprising results and an uplift in results, but it’s probably not happening.

I can’t help but think the unwanted players we have under contract will haunt us this season. Oh, and of course the players that we’ve signed who are too old and readying themselves for a season on the treatment table, a la Hanson.

Last season beat the fight out of me, and this pre season has not brought it back.

I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around another 6 years for success, no way, it’s embarrassing.

Hallelujah. Someone else seeing through the touchy-feely guff.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 227
Poojah
August 10, 2021, 11:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,395
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course positive results increase ticket sales, don’t they? That’s the point I’m making. I find it difficult to believe the ‘feel good factor’ will remain if we don’t finish in the top half of the table next season and even that would make us reconsider four season tickets.

I’m not sure what point you’re making about someone else’s money. Fenty managed the club on ticket sales for most of his time in charge and I imagine 1878 will do the same.

I very much hope I’m wrong but this looks too familiar to me.

I’m not sure what you thought you were reading there, but my point was that the concept that results correlate with attendances is obvious. Of course they do. But you have to be able to pay for short-term results in the long-term.

I’m completely agreeing with you that 1878, if that’s how we’re referring to them, will manage the club based on earned revenue (which is largely ticket sales at this level of course). The difference is they’ll increase ticket sales gradually by not treating fans like shìt, not letting our facilities crumble and by creating a working environment that staff, playing and non-playing alike, are more likely to want to be a part of.

It’s not about an overnight quick fix. If you were expecting that then I think you’ve misled yourself because no one has ever promised such a thing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 227
Bigdog
August 10, 2021, 11:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Poojah

I'm not sure what people were expecting. What we were promised, and what I've believe we've got, is good, talented businesspeople operating for the right reasons, running the club in the right way. That's a massive improvement on what went before, but I've never expected us to spend inorganically. That's never been promised.

We are not a Crawley, or a Fleetwood, or a Forest Green, or a Wrexham, or even a Stockport. I honestly believe these new owners of ours will get us on the right track, and that in time we'll be stronger than we've been at any point in the last couple of decades. But they'll do it sustainably, which I believe in the long-term is the right way for this club.

For every Fleetwood there's a Rushden & Diamonds, a Darlington, a Bury or, dare I say it, a Scunny (that cheque is already in the mail). Wrexham will be an interesting story, and probably a successful one. Good luck to them, I genuinely wish them well after so many years in the non-league doldrums. But, and I genuinely say this without an ounce of jealousy, I wouldn't want what they have, for us. To be the playthings of Hollywood superstars - a bit of fun, a magic money tree they don't really need. They're going to enjoy a lot more football fortune than us over the course of the next few years, but they'll be patronised along the way. Not for me, Clive.

This isn't just about this season. With all the rebuilding that needed doing, this season was always going to be slow. But in time, I honestly, wholeheartedly believe we will emerge from the shadow of ourselves from which we've been hiding all these years.

Enjoy next season for the experience we've all missed so much for over eighteen, wretched months. The footballing success might not come immediately but it will come later, and when it does it will be sustainable, and sustained.

UTM!

What was promised was a top end of the league budget. I saw the words come out of Jason Stockwood's mouth. We'll have one of the highest average home attendances and an EFL parachute payment, so there's no reason to be outspent by pretty much every club.

Football is always about the current season, not the next. It's always the current season and the next game that matters..

Transfer window far from closed yet, so I'm reserving judgement on the squad until then.. but Hurst has got to pull at least three big bunny rabbits out of a hatful of cash for me to be more confident about the season ahead.. the difference will be from fighting for a play-off place to challenging near the top..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 227
jamesgtfc
August 10, 2021, 11:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Heisenberg

The season we went up, our budget wasn't as big as some had us believe I'm told. Sutton didn't spend big and went up as champions last season.

When you look at the recent league experience through our squad, we must have a decent wage bill.

I would imagine Pearson, Fox, Taylor and Crookes are on decent wages for this level alongside some of those we've retained as part of our first team squad like McKeown, Waterfall and Scannell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 227
Zmariner
August 11, 2021, 12:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,116
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Heisenberg

I struggle with the national league and so I completely echo your feelings. Not a game played yet and so we have to be optimistic. With the stuffing knocked out if us over the last few years even with my season ticket I will only go if we are competitive. Hurst was decent at this level before and after his nightmare in guiding us to bottom spot last season his career is on the line and so he will give it his best . Many talk of transition but I fear a lot of us have lost some of the passion for it and mid table national league will be of no interest to me even in the short term. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 227
Grantley
August 11, 2021, 12:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hallelujah. Someone else seeing through the touchy-feely guff.

So what is the answer then? Spend money that we don’t have on one player and hope that he scores the 30 goals required to see us champions in our first season back, an event which has happened once in the past decade?

Wrexham, Stockport and possibly Chesterfield are spending more on wages and fees than most L2 teams this summer - they’re blowing everyone out the water and were favourites for promotion this season before their play-off final even happened. This doesn’t even factor in smaller moneybags teams like Solihull, Eastleigh and Boreham Wood and the traditional league teams like Torquay (Gary Johnson) and Southend. Heck, even Barnet and Dagenham have put together decent squads.

The quality of football in this league probably isn’t what it was 10 years ago but it’s so much more competitive. The last team to spend big and win the league was Luton and they at least had the fans to do that and got their act together.

Re your comments on off the pitch improvements: Salford showed that throwing money at a project can get you so far. They’ve now stalled in League 2, probably because they still train everyday on a pitch at the local park. Tbh I think if we had got a decent striker in you’d have been complaining that we weren’t spending any money on upgrading the facilities!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 227
23 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.