Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 229 Guests

The rumour...

This thread currently has 38,885 views. Print
23 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
August 10, 2021, 10:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,422
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am not obviously going to name my contact but it was suggested to me that our players budget may not be the size some on here were expecting.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. What we were promised, and what I've believe we've got, is good, talented businesspeople operating for the right reasons, running the club in the right way. That's a massive improvement on what went before, but I've never expected us to spend inorganically. That's never been promised.

We are not a Crawley, or a Fleetwood, or a Forest Green, or a Wrexham, or even a Stockport. I honestly believe these new owners of ours will get us on the right track, and that in time we'll be stronger than we've been at any point in the last couple of decades. But they'll do it sustainably, which I believe in the long-term is the right way for this club.

For every Fleetwood there's a Rushden & Diamonds, a Darlington, a Bury or, dare I say it, a Scunny (that cheque is already in the mail). Wrexham will be an interesting story, and probably a successful one. Good luck to them, I genuinely wish them well after so many years in the non-league doldrums. But, and I genuinely say this without an ounce of jealousy, I wouldn't want what they have, for us. To be the playthings of Hollywood superstars - a bit of fun, a magic money tree they don't really need. They're going to enjoy a lot more football fortune than us over the course of the next few years, but they'll be patronised along the way. Not for me, Clive.

This isn't just about this season. With all the rebuilding that needed doing, this season was always going to be slow. But in time, I honestly, wholeheartedly believe we will emerge from the shadow of ourselves from which we've been hiding all these years.

Enjoy next season for the experience we've all missed so much for over eighteen, wretched months. The footballing success might not come immediately but it will come later, and when it does it will be sustainable, and sustained.

UTM!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 227
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 10, 2021, 10:57pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
It's all well and good that other teams in our league are signing strikers with good records but what if the don't gel with the other players and don't perform to their previous level?
Also, sadly, there is the very real chance of injury in a very physical division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
It's all well and good that other teams in our league are signing strikers with good records but what if the don't gel with the other players and don't perform to their previous level?
Also, sadly, there is the very real chance of injury in a very physical division.

Well yes, our team seems to have got injured before they even play in it.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I'm not sure what people were expecting. What we were promised, and what I've believe we've got, is good, talented businesspeople operating for the right reasons, running the club in the right way. That's a massive improvement on what went before, but I've never expected us to spend inorganically. That's never been promised.

We are not a Crawley, or a Fleetwood, or a Forest Green, or a Wrexham, or even a Stockport. I honestly believe these new owners of ours will get us on the right track, and that in time we'll be stronger than we've been at any point in the last couple of decades. But they'll do it sustainably, which I believe in the long-term is the right way for this club.

For every Fleetwood there's a Rushden & Diamonds, a Darlington, a Bury or, dare I say it, a Scunny (that cheque is already in the mail). Wrexham will be an interesting story, and probably a successful one. Good luck to them, I genuinely wish them well after so many years in the non-league doldrums. But, and I genuinely say this without an ounce of jealousy, I wouldn't want what they have, for us. To be the playthings of Hollywood superstars - a bit of fun, a magic money tree they don't really need. They're going to enjoy a lot more football fortune than us over the course of the next few years, but they'll be patronised along the way. Not for me, Clive.

This isn't just about this season. With all the rebuilding that needed doing, this season was always going to be slow. But in time, I honestly, wholeheartedly believe we will emerge from the shadow of ourselves from which we've been hiding all these years.

Enjoy next season for the experience we've all missed so much for over eighteen, wretched months. The footballing success might not come immediately but it will come later, and when it does it will be sustainable, and sustained.

UTM!

Being run properly is no guarantee of anything. Your comment shows a remarkable lack of ambition. Results sell tickets not being run properly.
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 227
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2021, 11:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah

UTM!

As ever Poojah, you’ve found the right words.

1878 never promised to spend money we didn’t have, although there seems to have been a fair amount spent on getting the basics right at the club. Yes I admit my hopes for promotion in the first season have faded. But objectively, if I’d sat down and thought about it with a cool head I’d have realised they were slim anyway. We’ve been here before. But at this time we haven’t got a nincompoop in charge.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

As ever Poojah, you’ve found the right words.

1878 never promised to spend money we didn’t have, although there seems to have been a fair amount spent on getting the basics right at the club. Yes I admit my hopes for promotion in the first season have faded. But objectively, if I’d sat down and thought about it with a cool head I’d have realised they were slim anyway. We’ve been here before. But at this time we haven’t got a nincompoop in charge.

So we’re happily accepting mid table non league before we’ve kicked a ball. So much for season ticket sales eh?
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 227
friskneymariner
August 10, 2021, 11:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
This is becoming uncomfortably similar to previous seasons will we ever learn.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 227
Poojah
August 10, 2021, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,422
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being run properly is no guarantee of anything. Your comment shows a remarkable lack of ambition. Results sell tickets not being run properly.

Results correlate with ticket sales? Honestly, and this is a genuine question - do I strike you as someone not bright enough to spot that correlation?

There are endless examples of clubs that have spent money they didn't have and / or couldn't sustain long-term who have suffered massively as a result. I just named four of them in my previous post, only Scunny of which still currently exist in their original or any form. Portsmouth were an established Premier League side who won the FA Cup in 2010, yet still found themselves in League Two a few years later having grossly overspent. Take a look at Gretna's glory days north of the border, and see what happened to them when their benefactor sadly died.

I agree, being well run is no guarantee of anything. Neither is spunking money on fast-depreciating players in some gambling addict-like pursuit of short-term success. But that doesn't mean there isn't value or success to be had in being properly run. Have a look at how Brentford, Rotherham, Lincoln, Wycombe, Accrington et al are doing compared to us. None of them, not even Lincoln, have relied on massive overspending to get where they are today. I'd add Peterborough to the list, but they did spend big in Darragh MacAnthony's early days - yet still their model was always centred on sustainability, as it is today.

It's easy to be 'ambitious' with someone else's money. Time will tell whether this is the right way, but personally I think it is.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 227
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 11:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
This is becoming uncomfortably similar to previous seasons will we ever learn.

Absolutely right. We’ve been starved of success for so long, now it seems they are determined to make it even longer.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 227
bobbyturtle
August 10, 2021, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
wtf we haven't played a game yet, wheres ffs

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 227
23 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The rumour...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.