Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › WSC Article by Pete Green
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 350 Guests

WSC Article by Pete Green

This thread currently has 4,563 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
prestonmariner
July 26, 2021, 3:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Apologies if already shared elsewhere, but here's the link to a great little article about our change in ownership by Pete Green in When Saturday Comes.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/.....rs-set-the-standards

Great work Pete if you read this, and for anyone who hasn't heard of WSC before, it's well worth checking out their stuff.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Limerick Mariner
July 26, 2021, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Excellent stuff - to be the first professional sport club in the world to get B Corp status will be great publicity for the club

(I see couple of people are questioning [red crossing] how that will get us 3 points on a Saturday...)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 26, 2021, 6:36pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Excellent stuff - to be the first professional sport club in the world to get B Corp status will be great publicity for the club

What publicity? Two things spring to mind.

a) Ask Average Joe on the street, even locally, what B Corp status is and NOBODY will be able to tell you

and sadly

b) Nobody else in the footballing world gives a flying donkeys sweaty scrotum about B Corp

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
KingstonMariner
July 26, 2021, 7:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

a) Ask Average Joe on the street, even locally, what B Corp status is and NOBODY will be able to tell you

and sadly

b) Nobody else in the footballing world gives a flying donkeys sweaty scrotum about B Corp

Just because it’s not well known doesn’t mean it’s not worthwhile.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
DB
July 26, 2021, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Just because it’s not well known doesn’t mean it’s not worthwhile.

Everything has to start somewhere, you never know we could become world leaders!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
gtfc98
July 26, 2021, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Pete's a great writer! Really enjoyed reading their stuff in Codalmighty and WSC over the years.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
aldi_01
July 27, 2021, 6:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

and sadly

Having B corp status isn’t really just about average Joe in the street knowing about it…

The footballing world isn’t then be all and end all…in a week when someone who’s literally won everything and is still performing to a high standard has sold for less than a bloke who got player of month once, the footballing world once again proves its beyond detached from the real world.

B corp status is a great thing and shows that our new leaders have a vision for the club, a desire to take us forward, not just as a football team but as an organisation, that can only be a good thing.

WSC is excellent too, I remember taking a couple of copies on a flight to Hawaii, they did the rounds on the plane, think every bloke that likes football had a read.  Great articles…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
golfer
July 27, 2021, 9:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Transparency does away with ulterior motives
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
jamesgtfc
July 27, 2021, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187

and sadly

First of all, you would hope that being the first would get us a decent write up. B Corp is so pointless that Ben & Jerry's, renowned for their ethics are a B Corp organisation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
marinerdazza
July 27, 2021, 10:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
B Corp status might be the difference between a player signing or going to a rival. It’s a murky business, especially at our level, and  anything which suggests we have an ethical, transparent structure in place and employees are treated fairly is a winner in my book.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
aldi_01
July 27, 2021, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
But does it get you three points on a Saturday?

Acruslly, if people read up about it then they’d see it probably can…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Poojah
July 27, 2021, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from marinerdazza
B Corp status might be the difference between a player signing or going to a rival. It’s a murky business, especially at our level, and  anything which suggests we have an ethical, transparent structure in place and employees are treated fairly is a winner in my book.

It's a small and very nuanced thing, but that doesn't mean it can't make a significant difference to our on and off-pitch fortunes when laddered up with all of the other positive improvements.

We're clearly selling many more season tickets than would normally be expected under the circumstances, and look set to sell at least a thousand more than we did last time we were relegated. How many of those extra season tickets have been bought on the back of any one of the following factors; improved training ground, fan zone, kit man, pop-up sprinklers, B Corp certification, transparent screen on the upper, new signings, etc.? Very few I suspect, but the fact that all of these things have been happening simultaneously just suggests a healthier, more progressive club that people - fans and players alike - want to be a part of.

An extra 1,000 season ticket sales this season equates to somewhere in the region of £250,000 (taking into account discounts and concessions). Now that makes a massive and very tangible difference to what you can do in terms of player and staff recruitments. Being able to attract better players by being able to offer them a better package and a better working environment is going to help on-pitch performances, which in turn gets more bums on seats and more money in the coffers.

It creates a virtuous circle, rather than the vicious one we've been spiralling in in recent years. It's just the kind of thing that the old regime didn't get, where every investment in infrastructure was seen as nothing but a cost, and the kind of thing that the new regime very clearly does. What are we, two months in? That's all, but the difference is already palpable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
jamesgtfc
July 27, 2021, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Poojah

It's a small and very nuanced thing, but that doesn't mean it can't make a significant difference to our on and off-pitch fortunes when laddered up with all of the other positive improvements.

We're clearly selling many more season tickets than would normally be expected under the circumstances, and look set to sell at least a thousand more than we did last time we were relegated. How many of those extra season tickets have been bought on the back of any one of the following factors; improved training ground, fan zone, kit man, pop-up sprinklers, B Corp certification, transparent screen on the upper, new signings, etc.? Very few I suspect, but the fact that all of these things have been happening simultaneously just suggests a healthier, more progressive club that people - fans and players alike - want to be a part of.

An extra 1,000 season ticket sales this season equates to somewhere in the region of £250,000 (taking into account discounts and concessions). Now that makes a massive and very tangible difference to what you can do in terms of player and staff recruitments. Being able to attract better players by being able to offer them a better package and a better working environment is going to help on-pitch performances, which in turn gets more bums on seats and more money in the coffers.

It creates a virtuous circle, rather than the vicious one we've been spiralling in in recent years. It's just the kind of thing that the old regime didn't get, where every investment in infrastructure was seen as nothing but a cost, and the kind of thing that the new regime very clearly does. What are we, two months in? That's all, but the difference is already palpable.

The DN35 Podcast raised a very valid point the other day. Who actually looked at the Upper Findus and thought about installing a glass barrier because I don't recall anyone ever suggesting it?

We don't fill BP often enough for the restricted views to be a huge problem but it's great to see us having some pride in our home. That glass barrier can't have come cheap.

How long do we need to wait for them to replace the wooden Main Stand supports with glass ones?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
TownSNAFU5
July 27, 2021, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
They would sell an avalanche of season tickets in the UF if they could install central heating, double glazing and heated padded seats.  😁😁😉.  The old regime did not even think of supplying blankets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
ska face
July 27, 2021, 2:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,364
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The DN35 Podcast raised a very valid point the other day. Who actually looked at the Upper Findus and thought about installing a glass barrier because I don't recall anyone ever suggesting it?

We don't fill BP often enough for the restricted views to be a huge problem but it's great to see us having some pride in our home. That glass barrier can't have come cheap.

How long do we need to wait for them to replace the wooden Main Stand supports with glass ones?

It’s a good point. Was always surprised for well-attended games just how quickly tickets were reduced to “restricted view only” in the Upper Findus. Couldn’t be sure but would imagine the first five rows at least would all be classed as restricted views.

What’s that then, best part of 600 premium seats no-longer classed as restricted view each game? At £20 a spin it might pay for itself pretty quickly if we get on a decent run.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
forza ivano
July 27, 2021, 3:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,141
Gold Stars: 265
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that B Corp status might even have some commercial benefits; not only is it the right thing to do plus giving us some much needed t good publicity, it might even be an incentive for certain firms to partner/sponsor us. If a business with a similar set of ethics is looking at getting involved in football, we'd be the obvious first port of call
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Limerick Mariner
July 27, 2021, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
As far as I can see there are circa 430 B Corps in the UK. I work for one of them. There is only one in Lincs - a food company in Boston.

The values of the B Corp are the values that we need for the future of society [url]https://bcorporation.net/about-b-corps[/url] - many on here won't have heard of B Corp before but now because of GTFC we are all talking about it, looking it up online etc. That is good in itself. When GTFC get certified it will be on TV, it will be on Sports Radio, it will be in national newspapers it will get tweeted through social media. Jason Stockwood will be on TV and maybe Paul Hurst and a senior player like James McK as well. It will be brilliant, our club will have done it first in the world...and it will help us get 3 points on a Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
ska face
July 27, 2021, 3:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,364
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from forza ivano
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that B Corp status might even have some commercial benefits; not only is it the right thing to do plus giving us some much needed t good publicity, it might even be an incentive for certain firms to partner/sponsor us. If a business with a similar set of ethics is looking at getting involved in football, we'd be the obvious first port of call

Another good point. Something that hasn’t been mentioned on here, surprisingly, are Stockwood’s comments from the recent Trust Q&A where he mentioned that the board had received numerous offers of investment from interested parties, but they have decided to put these off for the time being. The aim is the develop a business investment vehicle which would provide a bit more structure to any potential investors, and presumably the long-term aspirations of the club. Would imagine the B-Corp work will inform that in some way.

Makes a change from the previous “investment” strategy under the old regime which consisted of seeking out rich people and giving them and their family members spurious roles at the club (Andrew Newman as Club President? Mullen’s wife as SLO I seem to remember?).  

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
RichMariner
July 27, 2021, 10:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Even if no one has heard of B-Corp and no one cares about it, doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile venture.

As my old man often says, integrity is how you act when no one is looking.

As a club, the owners have chosen to pursue something they feel is worthwhile, and they would do it even if no one was looking, because it's the right thing to do.

If a few of us can't be bothered to read into the benefits of B-Corp (not just for GTFC but the wider community) then that's their loss.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
aldi_01
July 28, 2021, 5:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Even if no one has heard of B-Corp and no one cares about it, doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile venture.

As my old man often says, integrity is how you act when no one is looking.

As a club, the owners have chosen to pursue something they feel is worthwhile, and they would do it even if no one was looking, because it's the right thing to do.

If a few of us can't be bothered to read into the benefits of B-Corp (not just for GTFC but the wider community) then that's their loss.

This is my take on it, do I know the intricacies of it? Not really. Do I think it’s an excellent thing to pursue? Too right.

As Ska has pointed out, the previous regime bemoaned the lack of people willing to invest, I’m also assuming even if there were folk waiting Fenty would’ve knocked them back unless they came along like the Mullens and the ticket tout and were happy to hand over cash for a nominal role rather than actually be involved in running the club and improving things…

We’re not just taking investors as they come willynilly, there’s clearly a plan and as we’ve seen with the training ground etc. there’s been priorities to get right first.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
DB
July 28, 2021, 6:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from aldi_01

This is my take on it, do I know the intricacies of it? Not really. Do I think it’s an excellent thing to pursue? Too right.

As Ska has pointed out, the previous regime bemoaned the lack of people willing to invest, I’m also assuming even if there were folk waiting Fenty would’ve knocked them back unless they came along like the Mullens and the ticket tout and were happy to hand over cash for a nominal role rather than actually be involved in running the club and improving things…

We’re not just taking investors as they come willynilly, there’s clearly a plan and as we’ve seen with the training ground etc. there’s been priorities to get right first.

I agree with you and fail to see why the red cross.

Our new owners look at a situation, have a list of priorities( in order of need), and create a plan to achieve success; as per the training ground. Likewise beit Bcorp or whatever these guys are very astute and want all their 'projects' for the club to succeed, finalising in the promotion to the EFL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Azimuth
July 28, 2021, 9:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58
Pete Green is a talented writer and song writer, does anyone remember his song "the ballad of Phil Jevons"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
KingstonMariner
July 28, 2021, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Azimuth
Pete Green is a talented writer and song writer, does anyone remember his song "the ballad of Phil Jevons"?

Yes, though I preferred Everything’s Dead Pretty When it Snows.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
mirrorballman
July 29, 2021, 9:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Beautiful song here from Pete about father and son and Wembley 1998:
https://open.spotify.com/track.....link&dl_branch=1

One that starts about with a familiar Blundell Park scene:

And my favourite:
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
1mickylyons
August 7, 2021, 1:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,262
Gold Stars: 54
Pete peaked years before with his Mr Bass tie book
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › WSC Article by Pete Green

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.