Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anyone own an EV car?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Anyone own an EV car?

This thread currently has 1,628 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
July 23, 2021, 5:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Alot of capital to invest to save on running costs though...needs a v high annual mileage to justify it

Annual mileage of around 25k…it’s salary sacrifice scheme so saves me roughly 250 minimum a month.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
DB
July 23, 2021, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,972
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair the reason for buying one isn’t based on saving the planet, more saving the pennies in my pocket of which there are many…

I have a Suzuki Celerio and get 60+ both on a run and around town. Before that, I had Suzuki Alto's which gave more than 60+ on a run and not quite 60 around town. Many people would say they are 'basic' but for a cheap run about and 1/2 hols per year, I find them good and reliable.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Maringer
July 23, 2021, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Depends on how well the batteries last, really. The wear and tear on an EV should be less than on a car with a combustion engine due to fewer vibrations. You'll probably need to replace the shocks more often due to the weight of the batteries, but that's not going to be too difficult. Electric motors go on for ever in comparison to ICEs (fewer moving parts/less heat etc) so, providing the back up electronics are well-designed, you could easily get 20 years out of a car. It just depends what happens with the batteries and whether or not you could retro-fit replacements. I'm guessing probably not, as the car companies will always want you to buy a new car so it will be expensive to replace by design. I was hoping that I could get an electric car with my most recent purchase a couple of years ago, but not suitable for my use profile at present.

Battery tech is improving a good amount so, it might be a different case in 4 or 5 years when the charging network will hopefully be much better as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Limerick Mariner
July 23, 2021, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,663
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer
Depends on how well the batteries last, really. The wear and tear on an EV should be less than on a car with a combustion engine due to fewer vibrations. You'll probably need to replace the shocks more often due to the weight of the batteries, but that's not going to be too difficult. Electric motors go on for ever in comparison to ICEs (fewer moving parts/less heat etc) so, providing the back up electronics are well-designed, you could easily get 20 years out of a car. It just depends what happens with the batteries and whether or not you could retro-fit replacements. I'm guessing probably not, as the car companies will always want you to buy a new car so it will be expensive to replace by design. I was hoping that I could get an electric car with my most recent purchase a couple of years ago, but not suitable for my use profile at present.

Battery tech is improving a good amount so, it might be a different case in 4 or 5 years when the charging network will hopefully be much better as well.

That's the timescale I'm thinking - key thing is the battery tech needs to be able to take super-rapid charging. These chargers will be mostly battery to battery by then with a low current feed to the charging unit to charge the battery in it - will be massive saving on upgrading the LV network.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anyone own an EV car?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.