Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Betting on Town to get promoted ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 149 Guests

Betting on Town to get promoted ?

This thread currently has 2,704 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 21, 2021, 12:02am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,995
Gold Stars: 193

I'm not normally a betting man but I think I can spare £20 to have a bet on Town getting promoted this season.

Anyone know what the best odds are ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
somersetmariner
July 21, 2021, 2:18am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4

10/1 town

Think I might have a small flutter too.

As an exiled fan I sometimes miss the pulse and energies of other teams in the league.

Who are considered the big boys in the league this year ? The Lutons of 2022???

https://www.oddschecker.com/fo.....eague-2021-22/winner

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
brigg_mariner
July 21, 2021, 6:20am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from somersetmariner

10/1 town

Think I might have a small flutter too.

As an exiled fan I sometimes miss the pulse and energies of other teams in the league.

Who are considered the big boys in the league this year ? The Lutons of 2022???

https://www.oddschecker.com/fo.....eague-2021-22/winner

That’s 10/1 to win the league, the OP mentioned promotion, the best odds currently for promotion are 5/1 with betway.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Rick12
July 21, 2021, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm not normally a betting man but I think I can spare £20 to have a bet on Town getting promoted this season.

Anyone know what the best odds are ?

I like your optimism but can't see it. Football is ultimately linked to money and Grimsby are only going to attract a certain type of player given there  in the conference now and wages reduced from that of league 2.

Think some clubs in this league  maybe paying more ?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
RichMariner
July 21, 2021, 11:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I don't want to get hammered for saying this but, after the quality of last season's play, the end result - and not being able to attend games - I just want to be able to get to BP, watch us be competitive, hopefully see some quality on the ball, a bit more attacking flair and be in and around the play-offs for the season.

That's not to say I don't hope we walk the league but, being realistic, I'd settle for the above after all we've been through.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
immariner
July 21, 2021, 11:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,405
Gold Stars: 59
Stockport should win the league with the money they're spending. Notts look to be strong, Wrexham and Chesterfield should be up there. We shouldn't expect any more than a play off push first season after relegation. That's just being realistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
ska face
July 21, 2021, 11:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,522
Gold Stars: 831
Not saying we’ll be promoted, but it’s almost harder not to be in the playoffs than in them. Just get yourselves in the POs then it’s a lottery, you don’t need too much quality to spawn a couple of wins. But yeh, anything other than walking it with about 100 points would be embarrassing for Stockport.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
mariner91
July 21, 2021, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
Can’t see us getting promoted without at least three more quality signings.

Four central midfielders, three of whom were part of our underwhelming squad last season. Our attacking players are all either older than you’d like or too young, only really McAtee is a good age and still got decent experience behind him. At centre back we’ve got Pearson who is solid, a slightly unknown entity in Longe-King and the less said about Waterfall the better.  Full backs look fine on paper but not exactly setting the world alight either. I would only consider Fox to be a really quality signing so far who’s in the right sort of age bracket. The rest are either unknown/untested or on their way down. And even Fox has question marks over his fitness though hopefully the club has had him thoroughly tested. Add that to the fact that I don’t think anyone would have been too upset by any of last season’s players leaving and you’ve got a squad that is fine but only fine. And when there’s only one automatic spot you need better than that.

We need at least one really good striker signing which I’m hoping will happen as number 9 is still up for grabs. Possibly another wide player as otherwise we’re relying on untested Sousa, uninterested Scannell, the never fit Wright and 33 year old Grant. And I think we need a centre back too. I’ll get downvoted like crazy for this but as it stands this squad is nowhere near challenging for the title.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Poojah
July 21, 2021, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from immariner
Stockport should win the league with the money they're spending. Notts look to be strong, Wrexham and Chesterfield should be up there. We shouldn't expect any more than a play off push first season after relegation. That's just being realistic.

It's an almost complete rebuild for Town this season. Things are clearly far more organised on and off the pitch than they have been in many years, but few sides come down and go straight back up from the National League.

I think Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham both did it, but both required far less major surgery to their squad than we've needed. That said, it's worth remembering that the format of the play-offs has changed since we were last down here and you only have to finish 7th for a place, though that means winning two away games to make the final.

I think that should be a fair and realistic target for this season. If it leads to anything more then that would be a massive bonus for me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
diehardmariner
July 21, 2021, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from mariner91
Can’t see us getting promoted without at least three more quality signings.

Four central midfielders, three of whom were part of our underwhelming squad last season. Our attacking players are all either older than you’d like or too young, only really McAtee is a good age and still got decent experience behind him. At centre back we’ve got Pearson who is solid, a slightly unknown entity in Longe-King and the less said about Waterfall the better.  Full backs look fine on paper but not exactly setting the world alight either. I would only consider Fox to be a really quality signing so far who’s in the right sort of age bracket. The rest are either unknown/untested or on their way down. And even Fox has question marks over his fitness though hopefully the club has had him thoroughly tested. Add that to the fact that I don’t think anyone would have been too upset by any of last season’s players leaving and you’ve got a squad that is fine but only fine. And when there’s only one automatic spot you need better than that.

We need at least one really good striker signing which I’m hoping will happen as number 9 is still up for grabs. Possibly another wide player as otherwise we’re relying on untested Sousa, uninterested Scannell, the never fit Wright and 33 year old Grant. And I think we need a centre back too. I’ll get downvoted like crazy for this but as it stands this squad is nowhere near challenging for the title.

In 2015/16 we had the core of a side that had failed in the last 3 attempts at the play-offs, brought in an aging centre-back (Gowling), lost one of our better players in the summer (Magnay), had a guy who apparently his legs had gone (Disley) in the middle, a guy on the wing who was erratic at best and not good enough for the step-up above (Arnold), same on the other wing was a 35-year-old who was binned off by the side promoted at our expense (Monkhouse).  Up top we had an unproven at that level Bogle and a lad dropping down the levels with an average strike rate (Amond).  

As the season went on we then added a guy who was poo-pooed as not good enough for a mid-table Lincoln side (Nolan) that we found rattling around on loan at Wrexham.

I agree with you that we need some additions but the whole really is greater than the sum of the parts.  I trust Hurst to build a team, not just bring in individuals.  You could see on Saturday how Pearson and Longe-King will compliment each other.  You can see the thinking behind getting a high energy press from his front four with a focal point for them to work off.

Yeah Stockport are spending a fortune, but that means nothing if they don't click and work together.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
Rick12
July 21, 2021, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner

In 2015/16 we had the core of a side that had failed in the last 3 attempts at the play-offs, brought in an aging centre-back (Gowling), lost one of our better players in the summer (Magnay), had a guy who apparently his legs had gone (Disley) in the middle, a guy on the wing who was erratic at best and not good enough for the step-up above (Arnold), same on the other wing was a 35-year-old who was binned off by the side promoted at our expense (Monkhouse).  Up top we had an unproven at that level Bogle and a lad dropping down the levels with an average strike rate (Amond).  
Good post diehardmariner. I remember speaking to ex pros and some have loved the fan base and history of the club at Grimsby . Some clubs may not be as supportive of hard work and commitment due to their location eg more affluent and inferior history. I think this maybe one of the reasons why players have flourished here as opposed to other clubs. Fernando Torres I remember said similar as well in a documentary on him on Amazon prime. When he walked on the Anfield pitch and knew the love of the fans he said Iam going to be a success here which he was. Went to Chelsea where the set up was different and subsequently struggled .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
AdamHaddock
July 21, 2021, 12:37pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,801
Gold Stars: 25
I've just put town to finish in the top seven (1/2) as part of an acca

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Betting on Town to get promoted ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.