Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 109 Guests

We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

This thread currently has 19,496 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 20, 2021, 3:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,251
Gold Stars: 295
Agreed, let's change the subject....

Should Town players take the knee before kick off?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 257
lew chaterleys lover
July 20, 2021, 3:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,699
Gold Stars: 236
Thank you for your support  

I was trying to point out that because mask-wearing is entirely voluntary, the club had no need to "encourage" supporters to wear masks at "upcoming " matches. I have absolutely no problem with anybody wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask but it is a personal choice. The tone of the statement to me read that the club would prefer you to be masked up, by encouraging us to do so. It even showed a helpful photo of a fan with his next to useless cloth GTFC mask on. Ominously, further on it said proof of a double vaccination or negative test is not needed "at this stage."

People will know what to do in such circumstances; they do not need encouragement or otherwise. The whole tone of the statement sounded alarm bells to me;  just as we were looking forward to a more normal experience we thought here we go again with the threat of proof "at some stage" thrown in for good measure.

Obviously most if not all of you think differently; to me, it sounded over officious and pointing one way but surely to God, we can go to an outside event, especially one as open and exposed to the elements  as BP without being encouraged to mask up?  
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 257
Townforlife
July 20, 2021, 3:54pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 16
I hope there's enough ventilation in the Upper Young's! 😀
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 257
BottesfordMariner
July 20, 2021, 4:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
We need to learn to live with Covid being around. It's not going away and the vaccination program is helping but it is not a cure.

Whilst restrictions are lifted and there may not be  any enforceabke law to wear a mask I think any responsible business can 'encourage' people on their premises to wear one be it a shop an office or a football stadium.

Maybe if moving around walkways etc in close proximity to others. The govt themselves are encouraging masks on public transport for example or in settings where you may be close to.numerous strangers.

End of the day personal choice but is it really a massive
ask to wear a mask on occasions and show a little thought and consideration for others?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 257
rancido
July 20, 2021, 4:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Sadly too many people people are like sheep and have to be led. They won't take responsibility for their own actions. It is easier if someone else, either the Government or some establishment, lays down the rules. If it turns out wrong or ill-advised then they can be blamed, as opposed to blaming themselves for making any kind of decision. You can either want to live in a "nanny state" where every decision is made for you or you want to accept some responsibility for your actions and decisions.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 257
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 20, 2021, 4:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,251
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from rancido
Sadly too many people people are like sheep and have to be led. They won't take responsibility for their own actions. It is easier if someone else, either the Government or some establishment, lays down the rules. If it turns out wrong or ill-advised then they can be blamed, as opposed to blaming themselves for making any kind of decision. You can either want to live in a "nanny state" where every decision is made for you or you want to accept some responsibility for your actions and decisions.

The inherent problem is that for everyone who can take responsibility for their own actions and act for (generally) the common good there is someone else who is too f*cking thick or selfish to consider the implications of their actions if they don't act for the common good. They don't give a sh*t that their actions could lead to someone else catching Covid because that has nothing to do with them.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 257
codcheeky
July 20, 2021, 4:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Thank you for your support  

I was trying to point out that because mask-wearing is entirely voluntary, the club had no need to "encourage" supporters to wear masks at "upcoming " matches. I have absolutely no problem with anybody wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask but it is a personal choice. The tone of the statement to me read that the club would prefer you to be masked up, by encouraging us to do so. It even showed a helpful photo of a fan with his next to useless cloth GTFC mask on. Ominously, further on it said proof of a double vaccination or negative test is not needed "at this stage."

People will know what to do in such circumstances; they do not need encouragement or otherwise. The whole tone of the statement sounded alarm bells to me;  just as we were looking forward to a more normal experience we thought here we go again with the threat of proof "at some stage" thrown in for good measure.

Obviously most if not all of you think differently; to me, it sounded over officious and pointing one way but surely to God, we can go to an outside event, especially one as open and exposed to the elements  as BP without being encouraged to mask up?  

There is a genuine threat that things will change as they are going to for people going to nightclubs, this will have nothing to do with the club’s policy.  This Government has an absolutely terrible record at saying something and keeping to it. The Health Secretary, the PM  and the chancellor all self isolating on “freedom day” about sums up how badly they have handled the whole pandemic.  From the the message from the club they are only trying to do their best for their customers in line with advice at a really difficult time. You and your personal rights will hopefully never be more important than community health however much you like to moan about it . Selfishness is not something to shout and be proud about, you always have the option of not attending if you feel strongly enough about it.  Probably more will choose against attending if there are many more with your attitude to others health.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 257
RichMariner
July 20, 2021, 5:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
End of the day personal choice but is it really a massive
ask to wear a mask on occasions and show a little thought and consideration for others?

This is what it boils down to for me. There are lots of people who are looking for an excuse to get angry about something that isn't worth the effort.

If people think masks are useless, fine. Clearly, they are not a solution by themselves but if by me wearing one reduces the risk of someone catching covid even by a measly 1%, or that it saves someone's life then, obviously, I'm going to wear one.

Read the article about Steve Cotterill on the BBC Football site today and make your mind up.

The vaccination programme is about protecting ourselves, but you're also protecting loads of people who want the vaccine but can't have one because they are immunocompromised. Masks and the vaccine are helping to limit the spread.

It's your decision to wear one or not, at the end of the day, but is the hurt of wearing one worse than potentially spreading a disease that's already contributed to the deaths of more than 100,000 people in the UK alone?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 77 - 257
lew chaterleys lover
July 20, 2021, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,699
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from codcheeky

There is a genuine threat that things will change as they are going to for people going to nightclubs, this will have nothing to do with the club’s policy.  This Government has an absolutely terrible record at saying something and keeping to it. The Health Secretary, the PM  and the chancellor all self isolating on “freedom day” about sums up how badly they have handled the whole pandemic.  From the the message from the club they are only trying to do their best for their customers in line with advice at a really difficult time. You and your personal rights will hopefully never be more important than community health however much you like to moan about it . Selfishness is not something to shout and be proud about, you always have the option of not attending if you feel strongly enough about it.  Probably more will choose against attending if there are many more with your attitude to others health.

I can assure you that anybody who knows me will say I am the most unselfish person you could wish to meet.

I am merely pointing out that it is blindingly obvious that people will adjust their behaviour according to circumstance, by keeping a sense of proportion in any given situation, and they don't need encouragement from the club or anybody else. I am irritated that the club has to issue guidance to grown men and women who will take their own decisions accordingly. I have already said I have no issue whatsoever whether people wear masks or not, I would rather take responsibility of all such matters for myself. In my view the club had no need to state the obvious, with the added threats of proof further down the line.

I am in the vulnerable category myself, but I do not want others to feel they should be encouraged to wear masks because of me. Others feel differently which is fair enough.

There will be a fair proportion at BP without masks, that much is obvious. I don't think they should be made to feel guilty in any way whatsoever but by the tone of most posts on here yours included they will be. What are you gonna do when the unmasked guy behind you celebrates a goal (I hope one of many) and screams and shouts in your direction? Are you going to have a row with him? If not, why not, because according to you he is being selfish and endangering everyone's health. Are disagreements going to break out all over the stadium as people complain of maskless fans shouting and spittle flying in their direction?  This has got all the hallmarks of sowing the seeds of friction between groups of supporters, whereas they should have been more pragmatic about it. "Encouraging" fans to wear a mask to me means they would prefer you to be masked. A lot will not be masked, as that is the law at the moment so why should anyone in the stadium feel under pressure?
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 257
moosey_club
July 20, 2021, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
As this was one of the questions that formed the fans survey then I guess a good proportion of supporters indicated they would prefer some controls in place.

As we are hitting a big spike now locally then seems a very sensible approach to me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 257
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.