Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 322 Guests

We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

This thread currently has 19,507 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 22, 2021, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Croxton
Most of the crowd at The Oval tonight would be in Lew's camp I guess. Ten thousand including loads of superspreading kids singing, dancing and cheering a fine game of women's cricket. Perhaps those who had the Covid NHS App deleted it? Made the Cleethorpes crowd seem a sideshow.

The transition to 'personal responsibility' will throw up loads of contradictions and whataboutery. I was at Cleethorpes and wore a mask through the turnstile and at the bogs. I would have worn one all game if that was a condition of a seat in the shade.

Band Q today asked me to consider others by wearing a mask and keeping my distance. Everyone did. Ditto my local Tesco but it won't last long if the nudging stops. The infection rates in N.E. Lincs. have been raging recently and perhaps the launch of the Fanzone area this weekend may be problematic. No disrespect to you young 'uns but I'll be the old loner sipping a half of Dock's by the gate.

Still planning to go to Bromley but some of the lowest jab rates in London are not far away.
I've no issue with Town's statement and would expect most businesses in N.E. Lincs to take a cautious line for a few weeks yet.

Reports in the Times this week that some GPs are returning vaccine because of slow take up by under 30s. Given that under 30s are the most likely range to be in large groups for sports, raves, bars, night clubs, parties etc. it seems hardly surprising that this bloody virus is hanging about like it is.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 257
aldi_01
July 22, 2021, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Reports in the Times this week that some GPs are returning vaccine because of slow take up by under 30s. Given that under 30s are the most likely range to be in large groups for sports, raves, bars, night clubs, parties etc. it seems hardly surprising that this bloody virus is hanging about like it is.

Under 30s the blame group now then? Why not? Everyone else has been the scapegoat so far…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 257
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 22, 2021, 11:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Under 30s the blame group now then? Why not? Everyone else has been the scapegoat so far…

I don’t blame them for acting normally, just stating a fact  Being so slow to get vaccinated doesn’t help clear the thing away. No good waiting for ping pong, get in there and get jabbed.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 257
pen penfras
July 22, 2021, 11:45am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

But given that this age group are highly unlikely to get seriously ill from the vaccine, which at this stage in any other vaccine would be considered experimental, and there have been side effects published for both the RNA type and viral vector, you can see why that age group would be more hesitant to get vaccinated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 257
pen penfras
July 22, 2021, 11:47am

Cocktail Drinker

I don’t blame them for acting normally, just stating a fact  Being so slow to get vaccinated doesn’t help clear the thing away. No good waiting for ping pong, get in there and get jabbed.

I think England getting to the final of the Euros was quite a big factor in the current spread too. Cases were flattening off 2 weeks ago and look to be flattening off again now. Last week's boom could well be because of the very close contact people were having indoors to watch the match together / at the pub
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 257
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 22, 2021, 11:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

But given that this age group are highly unlikely to get seriously ill from the vaccine, which at this stage in any other vaccine would be considered experimental, and there have been side effects published for both the RNA type and viral vector, you can see why that age group would be more hesitant to get vaccinated.

Well you know more than me about these side effects and I agree about the Euros. It just seems obvious on face value that a slower vaccination uptake combined with greater social gatherings is unhelpful.

Private Message
Reply: 145 - 257
Maringer
July 22, 2021, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from pen penfras

I think England getting to the final of the Euros was quite a big factor in the current spread too. Cases were flattening off 2 weeks ago and look to be flattening off again now. Last week's boom could well be because of the very close contact people were having indoors to watch the match together / at the pub

Flattening off? On the rolling 7 day average, the government's Coronavirus dashboard is showing cases up 35.8% over the past week, deaths up 59.8% and hospital admissions up 38.6%. You need to look at the 7 day average due to the way in which the numbers reported move and change depending on when tests at taken or processed. Hardly flattening off. The enormous numbers of kids off school will probably have helped stop the surge to some degree but it's not really flattening off. No doubt that the football would have led to lots of cases but those are mostly baked in to the numbers now.

It is likely that the slight slowing of the rate of increase due to most kids being off school from tomorrow will be more than countered by the fact that so many people will have stopped wearing masks since the start of the week. The vaccination programme running is running pretty slowly at the moment and numbers of infections following "Freedom Day" will be rocketing up next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 257
Mrbump53
July 22, 2021, 12:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
All vaccines approved for use in the UK are not considered experimental as they cannot be approved until they go through a set process. The speed of approval was due to all stages of the research being funded and analysis of effects done as the research stage progressed. A number of vaccines were discontinued due the research stages.

Slight side effects only reported in 11% of all doses administered and less than 1% have resulted in serious side effects. All vaccines have side effects and some more than others. The covid vaccines do not stand out above the normal levels of side effects.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 257
pen penfras
July 22, 2021, 12:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mrbump53
All vaccines approved for use in the UK are not considered experimental as they cannot be approved until they go through a set process. The speed of approval was due to all stages of the research being funded and analysis of effects done as the research stage progressed. A number of vaccines were discontinued due the research stages.

Slight side effects only reported in 11% of all doses administered and less than 1% have resulted in serious side effects. All vaccines have side effects and some more than others. The covid vaccines do not stand out above the normal levels of side effects.

The vaccine is approved for emergency use, due to the pandemic. It is not considered experimental because so many people have had it, but it hasn't gone through 10 years of trials to evaluate the long and short term effects like every other vaccine has.

The side effects I'm talking about are the serious side effects to do with heart, brain, blood clots and several others. The risk is very very small, but a 20 year old's chance of dying from covid is very small too, so side effects would be more of a consideration.

I'm not saying by any means that people shouldn't get the vaccine or that there's a danger by having it. What I'm saying is that hesitancy to get it is far more understandable for people who are not at much more risk of dying than they are of the flu.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 257
Croxton
July 22, 2021, 1:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
You only have to look at the mapped infection rates, and dosage rates to see that some coastal areas like N.E. Lincs., Sunderland, Middlesborough, Yarmouth, Newcastle, Whitehaven, Barrow and even Gloucester are surging in a way that large swathes of the country are not. It's not scapegoating, just factual.

Whether it's the Euros, poverty rates, education or many other factors the geography of this wave is largely ignored by MSM. Local radio, TV and print media are only interested in easy wins. Informing the public about how this wave is progressing nationally is too dry for them. Easier to latch on to latest Twitter outrages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 257
26 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.