Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 291 Guests

We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

This thread currently has 19,514 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
July 21, 2021, 1:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras
It's basically brexit all over again. 2 groups of people with the irony that the liberals want the side with more rules and the not so liberals want 'freedom', which mainly seems to be about complaining rather than any actual problem.

If you are in the people should wear a mask camp, then wear an FFP3 mask and protect yourself and others properly. Let the others get on with it. No need to argue, those that care have done their part and have no reason to get drunk off at the selfishness of others because there are masks that actually protect the person wearing them.

But the main factor is that people just want to argue about something. Both sides claiming the moral high ground and thinking the other side are morons, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

It’s not liberals versus conservatives (small L and small C). It’s realists v fantasists.  And actually Brexit means just as many rules. Only now we have to follow the rules on a much more common basis (see thread about shipping from Germany as just a small example).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 257
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 21, 2021, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Without wishing to get political on this side of the harbour wall, the Government’s advice over the past 17 months hasn’t helped.

From Boris ‘encouraging’ hand shaking in March 2020 to locking down late and striking the fear of God into most of the country to scare the public into following the rules.

As far as I am aware, are you likely to catch Covid by touching turnstiles and seats - probably not.

Are you going to catch Covid outside - probably not. But if you are sat at BP next to someone wearing a mask, you shouldn’t slip them the oral hot dog sausage when The Shop slams home his 30th goal of the season.

Realistically, even if it was legally enforced, are the fans going to keep the masks on when they cheer etc. No. But you should be respectful of who you are sat near as there are many reasons why they really don’t want to risk infection, and that is surely the most important point as we gradually return to some normality.

Just enjoying been back at BP is surely enough of a lift for now.

The risk, whilst infection rates are still so high, is in the communal areas with poor ventilation. The toilet blocks especially. Although I’m still expecting the WHO to trace the original Covid outbreak back to the wet market which is, the Main Stand urinals.

So personally, I’ll be wearing a mask in busy and/or poorly ventilated areas. If I find I’m sat next to a slavering, sputum spitting super spreader, then I guess I might as well not wear one in the stands as there’s no point in protecting them by me wearing a mask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 257
Hagrid
July 21, 2021, 1:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
Well i know who is getting twit Of the Week this week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 257
KingstonMariner
July 21, 2021, 2:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Hagrid

Indeed. He’s clearly in it to win it this time. Presumably he’s never understood the phrase “when in a hole”.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 257
lew chaterleys lover
July 21, 2021, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

Oh stop being so hard on yourself. Your idiotic comment about not wearing masks while sat down but you will whist walking was not THAT bad.  
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 257
Manchester Mariner
July 21, 2021, 2:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Although I’m still expecting the WHO to trace the original Covid outbreak back to the wet market which is, the Main Stand urinals.

At last, some truth is being told.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 257
July 21, 2021, 2:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Indeed. He’s clearly in it to win it this time. Presumably he’s never understood the phrase “when in a hole”.

If you were in a hole you should definitely be encouraged to wear a mask. Poor ventilation and probably close proximity to others. You’d be pinging like a Tony Gallimore crossfield pass.

Would you take the knee in a hole? I wouldn’t because the bottom of the hole would probably be wet and I wouldn’t want to damage my stay-creased action slacks. I’d have a moment of reflection instead.

If anyone booed the knee in the hole I’d insist on masks all round. Booing spreads Covid. You heard it here first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 257
Maringer
July 21, 2021, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Mariner_09

They have a false positive rate of about 0.25% but when you do 1.2 million tests a day, as Britain does, that equates to an enormous raw number of false positives.

Not nearly as many as there are false negatives, however. Oddly enough, people aren't very good at jamming a swab far enough up their nose to get a good sample and swabbing the back of your throat is hard work as well. I seem to remember that a trial in Liverpool last year showed that accuracy is under 50% for self-swabbed LFT samples.

As far as I'm aware, we're also pretty much the only country that gets people taking samples for PCR tests to swab themselves. At least this was the case last year. Most countries have (or perhaps had) medical professionals do the swabbing which you'd expect would mean a better quality sample was collected. PCRs are also very sensitive so probably fewer false negatives found that way.

There was lots of talk last year about accurate and fast saliva tests. They would be very handy indeed. Pretty much no chance of messing up a saliva sample, I'd have thought. I wonder what happened to those?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 257
July 21, 2021, 2:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Not nearly as many as there are false negatives, however. Oddly enough, people aren't very good at jamming a swab far enough up their nose to get a good sample and swabbing the back of your throat is hard work as well.

I don’t mind going knuckle deep up my nose because I spend most of my downtime with my finger jammed up there but the throat sample is very difficult to swab. My tongue and throat are so sensitive that anything further than the umami part of my tongue map makes me gag like a super injunction.

The professionals go much deeper. The portakabins at arrivals in Madeira Airport are like scenes from Deepthroat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 257
DB
July 21, 2021, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from DB

Having read all 62 posts, so far, I think Hagrid has summed up the situation perfectly.

Quoted from Hagrid
Christ another typical OTT Reaction from you

If someone wants to continue to wear a mask so be it

If someone does not wish too so be it

The club are not making it compulsory, get on with your life the way you want to live it and allow others to do the same

I've now read 128 posts and I still think there is none other that is better.

We all have a choice and everybody should respect each other's choice.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 257
26 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.