Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 134 Guests

We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

This thread currently has 19,319 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
July 21, 2021, 10:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
You can think they’re arsed but surely that’s an odd stance when it’s their choice. I think people wearing a mask in their own car look stupid but it’s their choice and they can crack on.

I’ve not worn a mask throughout for various reason, namely Becauee the rules have made zero sense since pretty much the start and when the people at the top telling us those rules don’t adhere to them then it renders them pretty futile.

If people want to wear one then crack on, those that don’t, crack on. It’s unnecessary to think negatively about either of them though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 257
marinerdazza
July 21, 2021, 10:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
I’ll likely wear one whilst cases are through the roof. They’ll burn out by the end of August though surely. Think/hope we’ll be as close to normal as we can expect by mid September.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 257
aldi_01
July 21, 2021, 10:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’ll likely wear one whilst cases are through the roof. They’ll burn out by the end of August though surely. Think/hope we’ll be as close to normal as we can expect by mid September.

Technically, with the removal of the draconian rules it’s fizzled out now…but I get what you mean.

It’s a genuine question our psychologist at work posed; if the media stopped reporting it and the saturation dried up, how long would it take for people to stop worrying all together and just treat it like something like flu?

It’s an interesting point…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 257
RichMariner
July 21, 2021, 11:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
It is no business of theirs whether people use a mask or not under the current law.

I see what you're getting at, but I think you've misinterpreted the motive behind the article. The club is encouraging people to wear masks because it's concerned about the health and wellbeing of its fans.

The club clearly wants loads of fans to come to the games, but at this current time that risks spreading the virus.

All the club is saying is, look out for one another. The infection rate is currently high in NE Lincs. The law did change on Monday but that's not to say we should all chuck our masks away or stop getting vaccinated.

As I (and many others) keep pointing out on this thread, wearing masks and getting vaccinated is about protecting each other. Thinking of other people, and not ourselves.

Honestly, I do believe people who now want to throw their masks in the bin are selfish. My opinion, of course. By law, they can. It's their right. I just think it's a selfish act and one that doesn't consider the health and wellbeing of the more vulnerable people around them.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 103 - 257
Maringer
July 21, 2021, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180

So you think that all the Town fans maskless at Cleethorpes are selfish arses? It is not a true characterisation, is it?

Well, some certainly are, but as I mentioned, others are just misinformed by dishonest and misleading bullshit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 257
Maringer
July 21, 2021, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from aldi_01
I think people wearing a mask in their own car look stupid but it’s their choice and they can crack on.

Well, that's one thing we're in agreement with, if they are on their own, of course. If they are on the way to picking up somebody who might be vulnerable or are giving someone else outside their 'bubble' a lift, then good on them for doing the sensible thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 257
drbell
July 21, 2021, 11:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
I find this so depressing. For a couple of hours, people can wear a mask to help reduce the risk of fellow town fans (and their families and friends) becoming ill, or worse. It's such a small personal sacrifice (even for those who believe it gives them personally no protection). Front line workers are wearing them 12 hours a day doing an incredible job, and people cannot do this small thing when voluntarily going to a sporting event. Rarely in life is there an opportunity to do something so small, which can make such a difference, and more than that show such thought and caring for others. Imagine a packed Blundell Park, with everyone who is able wearing a GTFC mask. What a show of solidarity, caring and togetherness that would be.

I understand that there are a small proportion of people who cannot wear masks, and they have to make difficult decisions about everything they do now, including coming to a football match. However, I do not believe that is what people are arguing about here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 257
lew chaterleys lover
July 21, 2021, 12:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from drbell
I find this so depressing. For a couple of hours, people can wear a mask to help reduce the risk of fellow town fans (and their families and friends) becoming ill, or worse. It's such a small personal sacrifice (even for those who believe it gives them personally no protection). Front line workers are wearing them 12 hours a day doing an incredible job, and people cannot do this small thing when voluntarily going to a sporting event. Rarely in life is there an opportunity to do something so small, which can make such a difference, and more than that show such thought and caring for others. Imagine a packed Blundell Park, with everyone who is able wearing a GTFC mask. What a show of solidarity, caring and togetherness that would be.

I understand that there are a small proportion of people who cannot wear masks, and they have to make difficult decisions about everything they do now, including coming to a football match. However, I do not believe that is what people are arguing about here.

Did you see the happiness on people's faces at the Cleethorpes game? They absolutely loved the freedom they have earned due to 18 months of following restrictions. If you want people to wear a mask in an outdoor setting, which is the safest place to be,  and the vast majority of people attending would also have been vaccinated why would you wish to curb peoples enjoyment?

If you go anywhere, at any time there is a risk; as Maringer said above he has taken the view that going to the match is too risky so will give it a miss. People are assessing the risk of being outside, of being double jabbed and have come to the conclusion that the risk is one they are prepared to take. They are not monsters or think they are putting anybody at risk.  

The fanciful notion that BP will be full of mask-wearing fans, all muffling "Mariners" is ludicrous.

To take things to their illogical conclusion, perhaps you would like the linesmen to be masked up? They are pretty near the front rows. Or a player come to that if he celebrates with the fans?
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 257
Bristol Mariner
July 21, 2021, 12:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pen penfras
It's basically brexit all over again. 2 groups of people with the irony that the liberals want the side with more rules and the not so liberals want 'freedom', which mainly seems to be about complaining rather than any actual problem.

If you are in the people should wear a mask camp, then wear an FFP3 mask and protect yourself and others properly. Let the others get on with it. No need to argue, those that care have done their part and have no reason to get drunk off at the selfishness of others because there are masks that actually protect the person wearing them.

But the main factor is that people just want to argue about something. Both sides claiming the moral high ground and thinking the other side are morons, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

The truth lies with the scientists

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 257
Mrbump53
July 21, 2021, 12:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Interesting to see how people have reacted to this and the differences partly driven by the media who contradict themselves on a daily basis and who are sensationalist and not experts themselves. So from someone who works within the NHS and receives information on a daily basis some informed information.

Masks - prevent transmission within areas where there is poor ventilation and you will be required to wear one within hospitals unless you have a medical reason not to. A prudent organisation/owner will continue to advocate/encourage people coming onto their premises to wear masks as they have a legal safety responsibility to protect people as far as is reasonably practicable irrespective of the removal of the laws requiring mandatory wearing of masks.

Delta variant -  more transmissible by a factor or approx. 1.6 times that of the alpha variant but generally those persons contracting it don't suffer severe symptoms and those receiving their first vaccine dose are around 70% less likely to contract the virus and if they do then suffer mild issues. People who have received both vaccinations are 90% less likely to contract it and if they do they are more likely to suffer only mild issues.

Hospitalisations  - current infection rates for this area are the highest since the pandemic began but hospital admissions are approximately 80% less than in the previous wave even though the infection rate is 30% higher than it was. The significant majority of people being admitted have not received one or both vaccine doses and mortality rates for these groups is high so reducing transmission is still a key mitigating factor.

Vaccines - afford around 95 - 97% protection meaning that up to 3.4million people will still be at risk even if everyone was vaccinated (not all the UK population can receive a vaccine). Taking that into account herd immunity is not likely to be a factor until approx 57 million people have had both doses.  

Yes the virus is not going to simply die out and will be affecting people for some time to come so the club is acting responsibly by encouraging people to wear masks if they wish to (it isn't against the law to encourage people). I will make my own informed decisions as to when and where I wear a mask and hope that others will do so. That is for them to decide not me and I won't criticise those that don't wear one I would just ask that they make their own informed decisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 257
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are being "encouraged" to wear a mask

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.