1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
July 6, 2021, 2:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I have just purchased a pair of expensive Binoculars from Germany and I believe I will have to pay a customs charge but on checking the tracking details via UPS it doesn’t show that I will pay this charge, it’s showing the parcel is on the way, does anyone have any idea on how the customs charge is paid via UPS ?  reading the internet it states that some drivers require the payment at the door (upon delivery) which doesn’t sound right, any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Maringer
July 6, 2021, 3:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
You'll ought to be contacted when it reaches customs - probably directly via UPS. Delivery isn't likely to be attempted until you've paid for the VAT, duty and customs clearance charge. Extremely unlikely that you would have to pay a driver for one of the big courier services (sounds like a scam). Online payment ought to be easiest, I'd have thought. Check any links come to you from a valid UPS web site, don't trust links on text messages which can point anywhere.

I should mention that I haven't got any experience of receiving EU packages from UPS, just a lot of experience trying to work out what the hell we needed to do with our deliveries to EU customers since the start of the year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
cmackenzie4
July 6, 2021, 3:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Funnily enough I’ve just received a message to pay the fees via UPS, it was a pretty straight forward process to follow Maringer , it’s still worked out cheaper than having to buy directly from the UK. Thanks for your advice.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
GYinScuntland
July 16, 2021, 6:44am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I get lots of deliveries from Hamburg and never paid a separate fee.
Only last week I purchased a shed load of stuff fom the 1887 Streetwear shop, and on the Deutsche Post customs declaration (form CN23) it simply gives a list of the items and value then the postal charges / fees in another column which on this order came to 16.90 EUR.
It was a fair size box too, weight 1.600 kg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
DB
July 16, 2021, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,999
Gold Stars: 386
I'm not too sure how the system works. I order stuff from the states and never had to pay extra charges until I doubled the order to save on carriage?. I was then charged customs duty so I think the amount you spend has something to do with the customs fees.

Even though I paid customs the items were still far cheaper than the UK shops, and I mean £'s. Every business has to make a profit, but there is a big difference between profit and greed.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
cmackenzie4
July 16, 2021, 2:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I fully understand what you mean Dave, I had to pay £140.00 custom fees on top of the price I paid for the Leica Binoculars but they still ended up £190.00 cheaper than buying from the UK, we do get ripped off in this country mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
ginnywings
July 17, 2021, 9:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,115
Gold Stars: 548
Leica binoculars?

You must have money to burn.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
cmackenzie4
July 17, 2021, 11:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Yes they are expensive Ginny, the thing is the outdoors is my hobby, I very rarely drink, I don’t smoke so I’ll spend that bit extra (well quite a lot actually  ) on things I enjoy doing, the quality of them is superb mate. I get a great view of the peregrine’s here in Louth. I also have a Leica camera which is the best camera I’ve ever owned, it takes a bit of getting used too though. The binoculars would be great for Scotland mate 😉

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
ginnywings
July 17, 2021, 7:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,115
Gold Stars: 548
Yeah, I agree, they are superb binoculars and would indeed be great for Scotland ( which I'm heading for on Tuesday) and I am currently in the market for some new ones myself, but I don't think I will be getting Leica ones.

Some Avalons for about £200 is where I'm looking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
cmackenzie4
July 17, 2021, 8:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Enjoy your trip Ginny.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Postage to UK from Germany

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.