Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 18, 2021, 11:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from spartacus
Being generous, felt like a team that didn't want to lose (and be embarrassed); Being extra generous felt like a plan to navigate an easier route through the next few stages. Being honest, thought we just had a bad day at the office. Being critical, not good enough to beat the top teams in the competition.

That’s a very dangerous game to play though.

We were never in control of that match. We’re not good enough to be throwing games just to be knocked out in the QF.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 101
Maringer
June 18, 2021, 11:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,398
Gold Stars: 184
Southgate said we were too frantic at times in his post-match interview.

Possibly the only person on the planet to think 'frantic' after that turgid display.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 101
spartacus
June 19, 2021, 12:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 1

That’s a very dangerous game to play though.

We were never in control of that match. We’re not good enough to be throwing games just to be knocked out in the QF.

Agreed, that's why it was an "extra generous" thought. Honestly thought we just had a bad game and we will  have better performances. Just not convinced we are quite good enough, to win outright. Maybe quarter final disappointment beckons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 101
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 19, 2021, 12:28am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Part of me wants Southgate to play the likes of Mount, Foden and Grealish deeper and bin the non-protective double pivot.

However, none of Tuchel, Guardiola or Smith trust them to play there for their clubs.

To win a tournament you either need a strong defensive unit, ability to retain possession under pressure or the fitness and intelligence to press strongly. Realistically you need at least two of those three.

We don’t do any of these particularly well which is why France, Italy or Portugal will win it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 101
Withnail
June 19, 2021, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
England are shite. Don't buy the media bullshit. We're really not that good. Knock out stages would be an achievement for this second rate team.

We're a million miles behind the likes of France, Belgium and Portugal as well as arguably Italy too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 101
Withnail
June 19, 2021, 12:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from psgmariner
Boring and frustrating but the guy who got England to the semi final of a World Cup and all his staff probably know more than us. Judge him when our tournament is over.

We got lucky with the urine poor opposition we faced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 101
Hagrid
June 19, 2021, 1:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,382
Gold Stars: 527
Will never win anything with Southgate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 101
Mayaman
June 19, 2021, 3:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,393
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from DB

I watched an England game that didn't let anybody down. I have a vision of people hitting keys on a board without thinking about what they are typing.

My England game that didn't let me down, nor the entire nation was in 1966, we won the WORLD CUP.  

I want to be entertained if I get up at 2am.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 101
Bignic69
June 19, 2021, 3:23am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TAGG
Southgate has some of the best young talent in the footballing world and can't get em to beat a bunch off mugs.
Hes flipping excrement.
It's an embarrassment

Whilst i think we definitely should be beating Scotland, they're far from mugs. Granted there is a handful of their players that are not household names but a good chunk of their starting 11 play in the premier league at clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa and Arsenal. So not only are they operating at very good level week in week out, they also know our team very well.
Add the fact that they were always going to raise their game ten fold against us and it was always going to be a difficult one.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 101
KingstonMariner
June 19, 2021, 9:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well that was shite last night. England allowed themselves to be dragged down to Scotland's level. If you hope to win tournaments you must have players who have the mentality to keep a lid on emotions. It doesn't matter if Scotland 'raise their game' if you keep your cool and keep passing (which means players moving into positions where a sensible pass is an option. England reverted to type. Different players, same old approach.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Scotland....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.