Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › not many more needed?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 327 Guests

not many more needed?

This thread currently has 5,004 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
June 17, 2021, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from aussiej
When looking to see if we have a team to compete for promotion we have a guideline from the past...

McKeown.            

Tait.
Nsiala.
Gowling.
Roberstson.

Arnold.
Clay.
Disley.
Nolan.

Bogle.
Amond.

Subs.
Pitman.
Hoban.
East.
Pearson.
Marshall.

That needs to be the standard this time around....
The question is:
Are we anyway near that yet?

This, I think, highlights the challenge we have next season. Of those players listed above, the following were already here at the start of the 15/16 season (or had been on loan at the end of the previous season and signed permanently that summer):

McKeown
Pearson
Nsiala
Gowling
Robertson
Arnold
Clay
Disley
Pittman

That’s a damn good basis on which to build a National League team. On top of it we then added:

Tait
Nolan
Amond
Bogle
Townsend (12 game loan)

So we already had a pretty good head start, and you’d have to say those five signings were pretty stellar (even if you can argue that Bogle played his best football for us the following season in League Two). Even then, we were only just good enough to get over the line, and I’d argue that we only made the play-offs courtesy of Townsend’s cameo during which we took 22 points from 27.

We haven’t the luxury of that kind of spine to begin with this time around, and so we need to somehow replicate that same kind of recruitment quality, but probably in double the numbers. That’s a very tall order, and I’m not sure it’s realistic to expect that in one or two transfer windows.

There’s an argument that Hurst should’ve got more out of that crop of players and we should have won promotion more comfortably than we did, but regardless I don’t see us assembling a squad close to that good in time for the coming season.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think we’ll go up next season. There’s a hell of a lot to be optimistic about right now, but sometimes maintaining that optimism requires a dose of realism at the same time. We are where we are and it will take time to change that, but it’s important to note that where we are will not be the fault of anyone still at the club when the season gets underway.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
June 17, 2021, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
If we are in a league where only the champions are certain to be promoted, that is what we must aim for, obviously. For once, we have everything going for us.

We have an experienced manager who has the full support of the board, with a proper budget, who knows the club inside out. We have a large fan base who are desperate to back the team; we have a board who want to make a success of it and have the funds and know-how to make it happen.

We will have a fantastic pitch to play fast exciting attacking football, and we have a head start over most of our rivals both in terms of finance and being able to plan ahead well before their season finished.

We must make it pay. Of course, if we don't win the league because someone else has assembled a better team then fair enough, but we should be aiming for the title 100 %.

On the signings front, I would expect we are saving the best till last and most sought after players taking their time to decide but it is very important we get two or three signings that really would signal our intent. I will be really disappointed if those signings aren't made when everything seems to be in our favour.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
buckstown
June 17, 2021, 8:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I may have let my imagination run away but I'm expecting a couple of statement signings, maybe a striker and midfield/winger. Think we also need a left back
Am I right in thinking it's only 5 subs in the conference, in which case we didn't have a goalie on the bench last time. Think Shaun was the emergency cover and a loanee if Macca gets injured
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Stew0_0
June 17, 2021, 8:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Think there will be a left back, another full back if Hendrie doesnt re-sign, another centre midfield, 2 wingers and a striker.
6 more signings at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
KingstonMariner
June 17, 2021, 8:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
We need a 20+ goal scorer . Absolute top priority.

I think the biggest break on us next season will be the impact of the ‘dead wood’ (for want of a better term) on the budget.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
IlkleyMariner
June 17, 2021, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from aussiej
When looking to see if we have a team to compete for promotion we have a guideline from the past...

McKeown.            

Tait.
Nsiala.
Gowling.
Roberstson.

Arnold.
Clay.
Disley.
Nolan.

Bogle.
Amond.

Subs.
Pitman.
Hoban.
East.
Pearson.
Marshall.

That needs to be the standard this time around....
The question is:
Are we anyway near that yet?

Don’t know, but don’t think so. However time to fix it yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Limerick Mariner
June 17, 2021, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from KingstonMariner
We need a 20+ goal scorer . Absolute top priority.

I think the biggest break on us next season will be the impact of the ‘dead wood’ (for want of a better term) on the budget.

Yep, that and three more in as a minimum, including another wide player. Then it depends on what happens with Williams Scannell and Hendrie

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
acko338
June 19, 2021, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
So the cunning save money ploy this year is Shaun Pearson as sub keeper, eh ??

Double the impact as player or sub without losing the 5th outfield player option !!

It's actually not that stupid an idea with only 5 subs allowed !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
BrMarin
June 19, 2021, 4:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8
I think we need 8 more.
        rb               lb
        rw cm cm   lw
              fw fw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › not many more needed?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.