Marinerdan
June 14, 2021, 2:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from pontoonlew

I've no doubt it was a good performance overall but I'm pretty certain we'd need to up the tempo to have any chance at winning the tournament.

It's all about opinions, doesn't make it 'negative'

There’s no point going full throttle in the first game either.

3 points against the World Cup finalists is a great result and our best start to a tournament in ages.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
TownSNAFU5
June 14, 2021, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,849
Gold Stars: 42
Some dire stats from the England v Croatia game in 2018.  Quoted in a paper yesterday.  They demonstrate how we have improved since.  Arguably by how much.

Against Croatia in 2018 Pickford played the ball long 40 times.  We lost it the vast majority of times.  Henderson lost the ball on nearly 50% of the time when making forward passes.  Kane lost the ball 21 times.  (All stats over 120 mins)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
Hagrid
June 14, 2021, 2:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Some dire stats from the England v Croatia game in 2018.  Quoted in a paper yesterday.  They demonstrate how we have improved since.  Arguably by how much.

Against Croatia in 2018 Pickford played the ball long 40 times.  We lost it the vast majority of times.  Henderson lost the ball on nearly 50% of the time when making forward passes.  Kane lost the ball 21 times.  (All stats over 120 mins)

i hope he doesnt walk straight back in the side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
Grantham_Mariner
June 14, 2021, 2:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,178
Gold Stars: 50
Don't want to peak too soon, the final will do.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
ginnywings
June 14, 2021, 3:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
It's clear we have improved a bit since we played them in the semi final and I also think it's a tournament too far for an aging Croat side who have dropped a notch since then.

It was a good controlled win by England but I don't think the other tournament favourites will be shaking in their boots yet if they come up against us.

They say you can't win the tournament in the first game, but you can go a long way to losing it, so a win was very welcome and we can improve as we grow into the tournament. I expect there may be a change or two for the next game. We can afford to be a bit more adventurous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Croatia....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.