3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
mariner91
June 15, 2021, 9:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
I had Cullen skink in Plockton a couple of years ago and spent the rest of the week wanting more of it. I think it was the first time food was so tasty I was lost for words.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Les Brechin
June 15, 2021, 8:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mariner91
I had Cullen skink in Plockton a couple of years ago and spent the rest of the week wanting more of it. I think it was the first time food was so tasty I was lost for words.

Yeah, Cullen Skink is superb. Not really a fan of soup myself but I definitely make an exception for a nice bowl of Cullen Skink.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
ginnywings
June 15, 2021, 9:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Just remembered Sam's seafood shack in Rodel on the Isle of Harris.

Literally in the middle of nowhere, flexible opening hours, flexible menu, depending on what he's caught or could get his hands on. Just a battered old caravan, but the food is wonderful.

Seaweed potatoes anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
KingstonMariner
June 15, 2021, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Talking of food on Scottish isles, back in 97 I went to Skye with the ex. (She wasn’t the ex then). Went to a seafood restaurant and had superb lobster for a really good price. Got chatting to the proprietor who also fished for the lobster himself. Thought his accent was familiar. He was from Caistor. Self-taught fisherman, and much to the locals dismay he said he was good at it!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Les Brechin
June 16, 2021, 8:49pm

Quoted from KingstonMariner
Talking of food on Scottish isles, back in 97 I went to Skye with the ex. (She wasn’t the ex then). Went to a seafood restaurant and had superb lobster for a really good price. Got chatting to the proprietor who also fished for the lobster himself. Thought his accent was familiar. He was from Caistor. Self-taught fisherman, and much to the locals dismay he said he was hood at it!

Been to a few restaurants on Skye and never had a bad meal yet.

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person. It's certainly popular though with the first date available for booking being the 24th of August!

https://www.threechimneys.co.uk/restaurant/kitchen-table

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
DB
June 16, 2021, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Les Brechin

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person!

Bloody Hell Les I could feed me and the wife for a year and still have change for my red wine!

Capstick song comes to mind, I'm sure you remember it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Les Brechin
June 16, 2021, 9:00pm

Quoted from DB

Bloody Hell Les I could feed me and the wife for a year and still have change for my red wine!

Capstick song comes to mind, I'm sure you remember it.

That doesn't include your drinks either, and if you fancied staying over rooms are only £365 per night! (That does include breakfast though)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 17, 2021, 11:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from Les Brechin

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person. It's certainly popular though with the first date available for booking being the 24th of August!

This is my problem with high end UK restaurants.

I know the hospitality sector is in a desperate situation and payroll costs and taxes are high. Good quality, fresh fish and seafood is expensive but that wine list takes the pîss a bit.

When you’re paying £50 for a simple, and fairly nondescript, bottle of Gavi or Grillo, something’s gone wrong somewhere. I realise overheads will be high and they make their margin on the wet sales (and the accommodation!) but a wine list like that just puts me off.

I could have a 3* meal in parts of France and Germany for less (in normal times).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Favourite food

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.