mariner91
June 13, 2021, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,250
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from pen penfras

We have a chief executive, that they've decided to keep because of his knowledge of the football industry, but have given him a different title doing the same job. Hiring another expensive executive, whose job will be to direct other people to do things, seems like it could be done by a consultant to direct the staff in the direction we want to go and give them autonomy once the direction is established. I also see very little crossover in the things we want to improve between the YMCA or a health company and a football club.

I see very little crossover between flogging some fish on the cheap and building a multimillion pound new stadium but Fenty reckoned he would have a crack at it. At the club's expense, of course.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
aldi_01
June 13, 2021, 10:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well he was never relegated and you haven't answered the point that we have been using similar software for the past few seasons without success. Also please explain why all those ex league clubs like Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham who were using such software before we did all got relegated to the National league and why other clubs struggle each season.

An analyst and software doesn't win you promotion nor does it prevent relegation, it's all about the quality of players and a manager who knows what he is doing.  

That last paragraph can be debated until the cows come home…plenty of clubs would argue the opposite and say that having such informative, minute data helps increase performance. Not just the team but the individual too.

As for PPs comments…I mean you can’t have a pop at new owners/people being excited about a new CEO coming and then saying you don’t see a link between the YMCA and GTFC…I’m assuming you’ve forgotten the precious 20 years?

Please do tell me you’re being ironic?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
DB
June 14, 2021, 5:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
I seem to recall all this analysis business started years ago with the late Don Revie and Leeds. It brought much success to Leeds at the time and helped them to numerous victories. It was also originally claimed by many to be cheating!

Much has changed since using pen and paper to analyse which way a player turns, which foot is his strongest etc. However, it's not the information you have but the way you use it, as proved originally by Don and copied by many.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2021, 7:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well he was never relegated and you haven't answered the point that we have been using similar software for the past few seasons without success. Also please explain why all those ex league clubs like Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham who were using such software before we did all got relegated to the National league and why other clubs struggle each season.

An analyst and software doesn't win you promotion nor does it prevent relegation, it's all about the quality of players and a manager who knows what he is doing.  

It’s only one part of an overall approach to managing. But to quote Alan Buckley as an example of why you don’t need analytics is missing the point. It’s a game of small margins and if Buckley didn’t use analytics that isn’t necessarily a good sign.

Of course if you’d rather we followed his namesakes method and fed the players ‘monkey glands’ I’m sure we’d be European champions by now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
Zmariner
June 14, 2021, 10:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from pen penfras

We have a chief executive, that they've decided to keep because of his knowledge of the football industry, but have given him a different title doing the same job. Hiring another expensive executive, whose job will be to direct other people to do things, seems like it could be done by a consultant to direct the staff in the direction we want to go and give them autonomy once the direction is established. I also see very little crossover in the things we want to improve between the YMCA or a health company and a football club.

The new team have talked about changing the culture of the club. I think we just have to see what happens. Let’s face it we finished as the worst team in the football league, nothing but nothing could be worse. By every measure we have been a huge Failure, Clinging to league status each season. I struggle to imagine how we could be any worse utm

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
aldi_01
June 14, 2021, 10:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Zmariner

The new team have talked about changing the culture of the club. I think we just have to see what happens. Let’s face it we finished as the worst team in the football league, nothing but nothing could be worse. By every measure we have been a huge Failure, Clinging to league status each season. I struggle to imagine how we could be any worse utm

You’ve set yourself up for a fentyite to throw the ‘it could be worse, we could be bury’ nonsense at you…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
RonMariner
June 14, 2021, 12:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Anyway, regardless of what the sceptics may think, this is all part and parcel of the modern game.  We are moving in the right direction.

It seems to me that we have made more progress off the pitch in the last month then in the previous decade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Bristol Mariner
June 14, 2021, 10:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from RonMariner
Anyway, regardless of what the sceptics may think, this is all part and parcel of the modern game.  We are moving in the right direction.

It seems to me that we have made more progress off the pitch in the last month then in the previous decade.

20 years**

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New analysis software

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.