jamesgtfc
June 12, 2021, 11:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

PP - out of interest how old are you and what is/was your profession?

He's 59 and used to own a fish factory. The money of which was used to enable him to become the principle funder of our proud club until recently.

He was also in charge of regeneration locally until recently despite not being able to deliver Fentydome in 18 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
KingstonMariner
June 13, 2021, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

Russell Slade brought in an analyst, when he left Anthony Limbrick and Michael Jolley were doing their own analysis with AL doing the most if it and sending stuff out to individual players and when they left Ian Holloway brought in a young lass who did it.

As for no technology, Alan Buckley  didn't use it and he didn't do too badly.

At the end of the day you can have the best analyst and the best software but if your players aren't good enough it means sod all.

Until the rest of the world over took us

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
KingstonMariner
June 13, 2021, 12:22am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Out of curiosity, do you think the culture of the club needs changing?

What our colours should be red, gold and green. Red, gold and green?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
grimsby pete
June 13, 2021, 3:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He's 59 and used to own a fish factory. The money of which was used to enable him to become the principle funder of our proud club until recently.

He was also in charge of regeneration locally until recently despite not being able to deliver Fentydome in 18 years.

Failed in everything he said he would do really  no palm tree kicked off the council  his only success was to get all his money back from years of failure plus kept the money he got from the trust.
I have been in poor health recently but seeing the back of him has picked me up no end.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
aldi_01
June 13, 2021, 8:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He’s got a mate too, honest chap, had to change his name as their was a mix up about something…was ok though, there weren’t any victims apparently…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
forza ivano
June 13, 2021, 11:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from pen penfras

Ahh, so we're the only ones smart enough to know that we'll definitely get promoted with 2 expensive executives. Hopefully nobody else figures that out before the start of the season.

Ps, I think Bradford have several ridiculous positions, hasn't helped them.

What a shame that Mr Stockwood (who sold his business for $490 million) didn't listen to footballing experts like you and your chum Fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
TownSNAFU5
June 13, 2021, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,849
Gold Stars: 42
...............”a job that could have been done by a consultant”.

I have seen how consultants work.   Many are bright and personable.  Some have varied experience in different fields.  But, they will come into a business not knowing anything of the history, culture and politics.  

Consultants will talk to the staff who do know about these things.  They will then present their findings in a report (based on what the staff have told them) to senior managers.  For a lot of money.

So, employing consultants at GTFC would be expensive for little gain and no development in the longer-term.  

Another inherent weakness of engaging consultants would be avoided by our new owners.  Weak leaders and managers get consultants to write reports saying that there needs to be staff cuts.  they then announce staff cuts saying there are based on independent assessments by consultants.  They do not have the guts to do it themselves.

Pen penfras, if consultants are the answer then the wrong question is being asked. I welcome the appointment of a CEO to put the club on a more professional business footing.  After the last 18 years we sorely need to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
arryarryarry
June 13, 2021, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Until the rest of the world over took us

Well he was never relegated and you haven't answered the point that we have been using similar software for the past few seasons without success. Also please explain why all those ex league clubs like Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham who were using such software before we did all got relegated to the National league and why other clubs struggle each season.

An analyst and software doesn't win you promotion nor does it prevent relegation, it's all about the quality of players and a manager who knows what he is doing.  
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
ginnywings
June 13, 2021, 12:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well he was never relegated and you haven't answered the point that we have been using similar software for the past few seasons without success. Also please explain why all those ex league clubs like Chesterfield, Notts County, Wrexham who were using such software before we did all got relegated to the National league and why other clubs struggle each season.

An analyst and software doesn't win you promotion nor does it prevent relegation, it's all about the quality of players and a manager who knows what he is doing.  

The last paragraph is correct but it's also about improving lots of things by a small amount. Every little detail adds up to an overall improvement.

Those other teams may well have had the same software, but perhaps deficient in other areas. If it makes us 1% better, that could be the difference between promotion and just missing out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New analysis software

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.