5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
June 18, 2021, 4:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I got on an internal flight in the US, when I lived there, probably going from Philadelphia to Chicago. One of the stewards was English and we had a chat about where you live and then when we got on to where he was from....Skeggy.

Got chatting to an English ex-pat in a flag shop(!) in Sonoma, California, about 30 years ago. Turns out he was from Skeggy and said he opened the first fish and chip place in California several years before.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
forza ivano
June 18, 2021, 5:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,161
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Does anyone remember 20 years ago or so you could by a kind of car sticker thing that had a pen attached to it from souvenir shops usually at seaside resorts?

The sticker was essentially a small plastic card mini shirt with a suction cup to fix it to a window. They were very generic like "Manchester C, Manchester U, Sheffield W etc, the Town one just said "Grimsby", the pen was just white with Grimsby written in black on the side, really basic and tacky.

I bought one of these from Cornwall, must have been 1999 or 2000?

anyone remember a similar suction cup thing, which had a waving hand and you stuck it in your car's rear window?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
fishboyUTM
June 19, 2021, 12:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
I've seen a GTFC painted pebble in Ao Nang in Thailand. Though in all fairness, he had all 92 (before Fenty of course) PL and EFL clubs and plenty of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
Azimuth
June 19, 2021, 12:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from forza ivano

anyone remember a similar suction cup thing, which had a waving hand and you stuck it in your car's rear window?

I remember those, my neighbour had one on his yellow Capri, he also had those rear window louvres and stick on sun visor with GTFC on, I thought it was the dogs as a kid in the 70s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
Welwynmariner
June 19, 2021, 2:27pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH

Me and my dad were in the queue at the till at Walmart in Dallas in 2004. I was wearing my Euro 2004 England home shirt and the man in front of us turned round and asked us if we were Australian cause we said mate a lot.

Most Americans seem incapable of distinguishing the English and Australian accent. I was in Santa Barbara once and was asked what part of Australia I was from. I said I wasn't Australian and this woman said - there I told you he was South African.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
GrimExile
June 19, 2021, 2:40pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
This doesn’t really count I know, but when on holiday in Australia I was on a tourist tour bus in Melbourne and I saw a guy walking on the street wearing a town shirt. Sad I know but I thought it was amazing at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Furthest you’ve ever brought town merch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.