June 10, 2021, 8:44pm

UTM!
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +51
Quoted from sutton mariner
Now then,

After a nice wee trip to the Isle of Wight this weekend I found myself in one of those little gift shops, trying to find some sun cream, pink nosed and with the sun making an unexpected appearance.

Next to to the till lie a rack of hand carved wooden beer matts with all sorts of strange clubs from Bromley, Den Haag & the mighty Grimsby Town.

That got me thinking, has anyone ever brought some not quite official town merch from further afield than Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, some 270 miles from the motherland?

The owner did inform me that he’s sold 5 other Grimsby Town wooden beer matts, as he has to order them in sixes, and mine was the last. In that case I believe I’ve answered my own question.

One of those beer matts belong to me! Assuming it was from the same place

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
NorthLondonMariner
June 10, 2021, 9:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Not bought. But I did once trade an old town shirt for a Senegal shirt with a local on the Mauritania/Senegal border. Even taught him a few anti-Yorkshire chants during the 6 hours we had to wait to cross for refusing to pay the border guards a hundred euro bribe to be "fast-tracked"

excuse the poor quality photo, the shutter got stuck and clogged up with sand after weeks in the Sahara.

[url=https://ibb.co/NpRB04g][img]https://i.ibb.co/92P5xMm/Screenshot-20210610-210319-Facebook.jpg[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
June 10, 2021, 9:31pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
[url=https://ibb.co/NpRB04g][img]https://i.ibb.co/92P5xMm/Screenshot-20210610-210319-Facebook.jpg[/img][/url]

Are you sure you aren't sneaking us a glimpse of our next signing,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
NorthLondonMariner
June 10, 2021, 9:34pm
Lager Top Drinker

Are you sure you aren't sneaking us a glimpse of our next signing,

serge makofo junior. He's not very good. We ment to sign the guy whos stood next to him but someone cocked up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
LH
June 10, 2021, 10:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
You can trade anything from an ‘ivory’ carving to a small village including all livestock for a football shirt in Africa. Wore my shirt on a Saturday afternoon once for a ‘cultural walk’ around Nanyuki in Kenya. Never known harrassment like it. Didn’t do it again.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
LH
June 10, 2021, 10:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from grimsby pete
I bought a town wembley 98 shirt at the stadium.

Wore it in Vegas and Hawaai  also wore an England shirt with just the cross on it no wording.

That baffled the guide and he knew we were from England.  h

Me and my dad were in the queue at the till at Walmart in Dallas in 2004. I was wearing my Euro 2004 England home shirt and the man in front of us turned round and asked us if we were Australian cause we said mate a lot.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
NorthLondonMariner
June 10, 2021, 10:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from LH
You can trade anything from an ‘ivory’ carving to a small village including all livestock for a football shirt in Africa. Wore my shirt on a Saturday afternoon once for a ‘cultural walk’ around Nanyuki in Kenya. Never known harrassment like it. Didn’t do it again.

It was the constant bribes being expected by virtually every single policeman or border guard we came in to contact with between Morocco and Gambia that got on my mammaries. It wasn't so bad at first coz we paid the bribes with cheap fags and ballpoint pens we bought in Gibraltar, but they had run out by the time we got to the Senegal border, and those border guards were grade A girl privates wanting massive backhanders, both on the way in and on the way out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
crusty ole pie
June 10, 2021, 11:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,338
Gold Stars: 62
Remember being in grand canary and a market seller. Had all sorts of fake stuff he asked me my team was and I told him Grimsby and challenged him to find something in his stock a few moments later with big smile he produce a gtfc badge. Laugh out loud I had to buy it  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Rasen 17
June 11, 2021, 7:09am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +38
Gold Stars: 2
bought a set of wooden ‘Russian’ dolls in Prague in full town kits,, mine had Michael Reddy down to McDermott being the smallest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
grimsby pete
June 13, 2021, 12:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from LH

Me and my dad were in the queue at the till at Walmart in Dallas in 2004. I was wearing my Euro 2004 England home shirt and the man in front of us turned round and asked us if we were Australian cause we said mate a lot.

For some reason the yanks seem to think a lot of us brits are Australian we were asked a couple of times where we from Aussie.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Furthest you’ve ever brought town merch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.