Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,237 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2021, 3:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
I am sure all these issues can be mitigated with clever planning and a clever design that will satisfy all parties. It is a while since I was in the main stand but there is quite a bit of room behind the stand isn't there - more room for a clever design.

The main thing is why are they looking at it - short to mid-term improvements with a new stadium to follow later at some point - or the first step in developing BP to stay permanently?

We will know soon enough.
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 520
rancido
November 1, 2021, 3:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,563
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from DB

Not if you live down Humberston Ave. A developer bought a house and demolished it the next day to provide access for the development. The council stated the house will be rebuilt as they did not having planning permission to demolish it! Never happened! And there's a nice road!

Good point but that was a strange situation. The property was bought and demolished purely to provide access to a new housing development. The Council were out manoeuvred - nothing to do with Humberston Avenue, as that scenario could have occurred in many other locations. The Council found themselves in a no-win situation and I am sure their legal advisors would have pointed this out.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 520
GollyGTFC
November 1, 2021, 4:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I am sure all these issues can be mitigated with clever planning and a clever design that will satisfy all parties. It is a while since I was in the main stand but there is quite a bit of room behind the stand isn't there - more room for a clever design.

The main thing is why are they looking at it - short to mid-term improvements with a new stadium to follow later at some point - or the first step in developing BP to stay permanently?

We will know soon enough.

Can you mitigate the poor position of the stadium and the lack of available parking? I’m sure the local residents will be delighted if Town redeveloped BP into a 14,000 capacity stadium. There’s plenty of parking for an additional 6,000 fans after all… NOT.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 242 - 520
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2021, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Can you mitigate the poor position of the stadium and the lack of available parking? I’m sure the local residents will be delighted if Town redeveloped BP into a 14,000 capacity stadium. There’s plenty of parking for an additional 6,000 fans after all… NOT.

I am sure the owners are clever enough to mitigate that too, if necessary. Some form of park and ride - similar to many stadia around the country. I have always managed to get parked with crowds three times our current attendances - just means I have to walk further. People can be dropped off, share a taxi or be dropped by helicopter on the centre circle. People will make it work.

Big car parking is a definite no in any future planning application for a new stadium as councils are desperate to get us out of our cars, so I doubt very much whether a stadium surrounded by a giant car park is in the offing.

My preference as I said is a Dockside stadium (presumably with park and ride to get there) but it is the owners who will decide; if they wish to redevelop BP then we will have to make it work, won't we?
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 520
Madeleymariner
November 1, 2021, 4:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Not living locally, I have no idea where carparks are other than near Cleethorpes front, so where would I park and then ride. A nice new 1000 space carpark near Great Coates? (Defeats the object it might as well be built by the new ground)  A Town centre multistorey? either way most people will still drive much of the journey and park in Grimsby so the general stance of Govt/Council re carparks with developments will never hold ground. I get we need to cut emissions etc. but until an alternative to the car is fast, safe and efficient what do you do!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 520
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2021, 5:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Not living locally, I have no idea where carparks are other than near Cleethorpes front, so where would I park and then ride. A nice new 1000 space carpark near Great Coates? (Defeats the object it might as well be built by the new ground)  A Town centre multistorey? either way most people will still drive much of the journey and park in Grimsby so the general stance of Govt/Council re carparks with developments will never hold ground. I get we need to cut emissions etc. but until an alternative to the car is fast, safe and efficient what do you do!

Of course you are right, but as long as the club tick the park and ride box, or any other solution they come up with, people will obviously do what they like in order to get there.
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 520
grimps
November 1, 2021, 6:43pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from rancido

They would still have to get past objections from local residents if the skyline was heightened. It would be quite easy for any pressure group to whip up resistance against this with the argument "Mainstand today, Osmond and Pontoon to come. Thin end of the wedge" Do you think a Mainstand the same height as The Youngs would be given planning permission because I seriously doubt it.

I’m pretty sure if a few grand compensation was offered to those residents they’d waiver their objections , most of those houses will be rentals anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 520
GollyGTFC
November 1, 2021, 7:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from grimps

I’m pretty sure if a few grand compensation was offered to those residents they’d waiver their objections , most of those houses will be rentals anyway

Sorry, are those people who rent & aren't fortunate enough to own their own homes 2nd class citizens who's views on the area they live in not valid?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 247 - 520
grimps
November 1, 2021, 7:14pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, are those people who rent & aren't fortunate enough to own their own homes 2nd class citizens who's views on the area they live in not valid?

No but I’d guess that the tenants would be the objectors and the receivers of the compensation?
If I was renting or the owner and someone offered me a few grand I’d take it , I’d deffo take it if I was a short term renter or owner and had visions of not living in the same house for ever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 520
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2021, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Parking for a 4000 home crowd at Blundell Park was tolerable, for 6000 it’s pretty horrendous, for 10000 it would be intolerable.

There simply isn’t an acceptable solution, wherever the Park & Ride would be situated.
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.