Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 131 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 59,784 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 1, 2021, 6:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The issue with parking seems to be a point that’s constantly made but would be no different whether we had a new ground or not…anyone that’s ever been to those awful out of town stadiums knows you just sit in a disorganised car park for at least half an hour after the game…no different to hear. If you’re gonna park in the streets directly outside BP, or any football ground you have to imagine you’d be sat in some traffic…

BP can be made for for purpose and with a little thought and genuine discussion it’s possible, which is why we haven’t heard much to be honest. The new guys will no doubt be exploring that avenue rather than just spunking club money on a vanity project that serves only to inflate their ego…

I’m not against a new stadium but it has to be well thought out and not some identikit breeze block hell hole on the edge of town…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 520
rancido
November 1, 2021, 7:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from aldi_01
The issue with parking seems to be a point that’s constantly made but would be no different whether we had a new ground or not…anyone that’s ever been to those awful out of town stadiums knows you just sit in a disorganised car park for at least half an hour after the game…no different to hear. If you’re gonna park in the streets directly outside BP, or any football ground you have to imagine you’d be sat in some traffic…

BP can be made for for purpose and with a little thought and genuine discussion it’s possible, which is why we haven’t heard much to be honest. The new guys will no doubt be exploring that avenue rather than just spunking club money on a vanity project that serves only to inflate their ego…

I’m not against a new stadium but it has to be well thought out and not some identikit breeze block hell hole on the edge of town…

The point is those "disorganised" car parks are for parking cars . The streets around BP are not car parks! On street fan car parking does cause a lot of problems for local residents and these streets were never designed for the amount of traffic trying to access them on match days

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 520
grimps
November 1, 2021, 7:38am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I think a new Main stand if probably the bare minimum needed for the next 5 years , A new stadium would be for the next 50-60 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 520
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2021, 8:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from grimps
I think a new Main stand if probably the bare minimum needed for the next 5 years , A new stadium would be for the next 50-60 years

The football club will have to make a decision between the two options very soon I believe. BP isn’t fit for purpose so they will either have to make it so or move. What also needs to be considered is what happens if capacity is dramatically reduced for any work to be completed.
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 520
aldi_01
November 1, 2021, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The fit for purpose phrase is odd too…We all know it’s old and knackered and with honest John at the helm it was allowed to decline further whilst he chased a new stadium dream that was never happening but I’m sure, fundamentally, it is fit for purpose…just not modern.

People moan about the toilets for instance…again, there’s thousands of bigs at OT or anfield for instance but once you put a lot of people in a confined space, you have to queue.

I don’t understand the issue people have with ‘walking’ around the ground…surely you expect that…the bar situation could be improved but we know the club are working on this and it’s improved drastically in a short space of time.

Time will tell if they decide to pursue a move away from BP but I wouldn’t count our redevelopment and improved facilities at BP just yet…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 520
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2021, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
I think car parking is a bit of a red herring. There is no way planning permission would be granted for thousands of car parking spaces anyway - authorities are keen on getting us out of our cars. It would have to park and ride I would imagine with any new stadium. Street parking is actually preferable in terms of being able to drive near the ground and find a space. I am sure the owners will be looking at all options though for parking ideas around BP.

I guess the owners might be thinking of a halfway house with a redevelopment of the main stand. it gives us some breathing space in the years ahead, but does not preclude a new stadium if things really take off.

The downside is will we miss the boat of an iconic dockside stadium if this is a possibility?

A new stadium on the docks is my preferred option, but has this really any chance of happening?
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 520
Swansea_Mariner
November 1, 2021, 10:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
What would be the point in spending millions on a new Main Stand only for the short to medium term and then move us to a new stadium sometime later on. That would be a total waste of money.

This does concern me that the new owners may be looking to kick the can down the road a bit, imho any development needs to work on a 50+ year time horizon as we need a long term solution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 520
Heisenberg
November 1, 2021, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,809
Gold Stars: 89
I think car parking is a bit of a red herring. There is no way planning permission would be granted for thousands of car parking spaces anyway - authorities are keen on getting us out of our cars. It would have to park and ride I would imagine with any new stadium. Street parking is actually preferable in terms of being able to drive near the ground and find a space. I am sure the owners will be looking at all options though for parking ideas around BP.

I guess the owners might be thinking of a halfway house with a redevelopment of the main stand. it gives us some breathing space in the years ahead, but does not preclude a new stadium if things really take off.

The downside is will we miss the boat of an iconic dockside stadium if this is a possibility?

A new stadium on the docks is my preferred option, but has this really any chance of happening?

For me it’s Freeman Street or nothing. The docks is a bit of a pipe dream.

And whilst I’m 100% for Freemo, I do agree that nothing will alleviate parking issues, no matter what the outcome. Park and ride is the future (unfortunately!).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 520
Sigone
November 1, 2021, 10:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
The council are looking to build a multi storey car park in grant street, match days it could be made free to park, with park and ride funded by the club.  A  new main stand with a modern roof would not give any issues to viewing from the back no matter how high it could be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 520
Heisenberg
November 1, 2021, 11:28am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,809
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Sigone
The council are looking to build a multi storey car park in grant street, match days it could be made free to park, with park and ride funded by the club.  A  new main stand with a modern roof would not give any issues to viewing from the back no matter how high it could be.

I mentioned the roof thing, and if you’re referring to what I said (I’m not sure) what I meant was the council are unlikely to allow planning for a higher roof than it currently has, as residents back windows look right at it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.